Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Ukraine Int’l 737-800 (PS752 IKA-KBP) crashes on takeoff from Tehran, 8 January 2020

Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk! Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

Please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread, may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

On behalf of the FlyerTalk Moderator Team

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

OTHER FORA OF INTEREST:

This thread is about the loss of PS752. In depth discussion of unrelated topics — geopolitics, passport theft, aviation security, airport security procedures, etc. — belongs in other fora. A few include:

OMNI/PR: Discussion of perspectives on politics and religion, including geopolitics and terrorism (requires 180 days on FT and 180 constructive posts prior to admission)

If you wish to discuss the politics and political implications related to this issue (or others), please do so in OMNI/PR; the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...r-takeoff.html thread is the place.

Travel Safety/Security: Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (including routing passenger aircraft over conflict areas).

Travel Safety/Security: Practical Travel Safety Issues for those discussing travel safety and security issues because they are planning a trip soon (including passport and nationality issues).

TravelBuzz: TravelBuzz for those wishing to discuss the relative safety of a specific aircraft - e.g. Boeing 737.

Further posts regarding any of these issues are liable to summary deletion.

We have a number of Destination fora to discuss various aspects of destination travel (including airports, airport connections, etc.) and Airline, Hotel, etc. fora. You can see them displayed in the Forum Home, here.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Ukraine Int’l 737-800 (PS752 IKA-KBP) crashes on takeoff from Tehran, 8 January 2020

Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
All of this is just devastating...
wrp96 and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
"Possibly" is me leaving some room for error because I wasn't able to hear the whole thing continuously. But yeah it looks unequivocal now that I see the news reports. I didn't want to say Trudeau confirmed it whenever I wasn't 100% sure.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
First off, I am 100% in no way some aviation accident expert etc. However, I have watched dozens of Air Crash Invstigations as well as had classes in school talking about Aviation, Human Factors etc.

This is 100% without question an a/c shot down. Nothing supports it going down like that. Engine failure or an engine fire by itself would not cause the aircraft to do that. Engine fires happen fairly often (in relation to air incidents) and this basically never happens. The odds of that are insanely close to zero. Factor in the missles earlier etc..... the odds have to be like 1/999,999,999,999,999,999 that this was a coincidence.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They should really be testing the remnants of the plane for explosives residue of some sort, because the presence of some sorts of explosive residue would pretty much nail down it being a missile hit or two.
Even the Iranian government would serve itself and everyone else better to share quickly what really happened and make this a “teaching”and “lessons learned” moment for a whole bunch of reasons not limited to just players in Iran and elsewhere in SW Asia.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
They should really be testing the remnants of the plane for explosives residue of some sort, because the presence of some sorts of explosive residue would pretty much nail down it being a missile hit or two.
Even the Iranian government would serve itself and everyone else better to share quickly what really happened and make this a “teaching”and “lessons learned” moment for a whole bunch of reasons not limited to just players in Iran and elsewhere in SW Asia.
Given that they've bulldozed the debris into a pile, this seems unlikely.
MSPeconomist and yurtripper like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Hezu
I think you're mixing the flight numbers: PS751 KBP-IKA was scheduled to depart 20:00 EET (= UTC+0200) and arriving at 1:05 +0330 (+1). The return flight, PS752 then had the scheduled departure time 05:15 +0330, although the actual departure time that day was about hour later and was destroyed only few minutes later.
I may have mistyped/misread (dyslexia sucks sometimes) but obviously meant the doomed flight, which departed around 6 AM. This was after the missile attack on US bases.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Nayef
"Possibly" is me leaving some room for error because I wasn't able to hear the whole thing continuously. But yeah it looks unequivocal now that I see the news reports. I didn't want to say Trudeau confirmed it whenever I wasn't 100% sure.
I watched the whole press conference... he still used the world "preliminary" but did state that there is enough evidence and confidence for him to convey to the Canadian public that it indeed was due to an Iranian missile.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
NYT has obtained what it says is video of the plane getting hit by a missile. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/v...e-missile.html
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Iranian cover-up time is over:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/v...e-missile.html

Video verified.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Video verified.
It will be interesting to see how the Iranians play this. Obviously, they should simply apologize. Mistakes happen in war. But totalitarian regimes tend to be really, really bad at apologizing.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

Video verified.
Some pretty impressive work, again, by Bellingcat (see full thread):

84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Some pretty impressive work, again, by Bellingcat (see full thread):

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/st...967174656?s=20

two missiles?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dascc
two missiles?
Two were fired. At least one hit the plane.

These seems to be uncontested facts at this point.
1. There were photos of some fuselage and debris at crash site with what appeared to be puncher holes from external projectiles.
2. There was a photo of the head of a missile at the crash site that appeared on Twitter and news media have confirmed the geolocation of that photo.
3. There is now a video of the missile striking the airplane and news media have confirmed the geolocation of that video.
4. Media report says US intelligence agency satellite detected heat signatures of two SAM launches and one impact.

Even absence intelligence report, the evidence is enough for people to draw reasonable conclusions.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
This post on pprune summarizes the schedule departures that morning:

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...l#post10658384

There were 9 scheduled jet departures 0400-0459, 3 0500-0559 (including the Ukrainian) and 4 0600-0659. It seems operating an hour or more late is also pretty standard there.
This flight seems to have been on a normal departure profile from what I've read and other aircraft were apparently departing around the general time-frame. I suppose the outside world may never know the full chain of events that led up to the missile firing.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:46 pm
Suspended

If it was a SAM as it seems then no such testing would be required as shrapnel holes would tell the story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.