EU261 question [Norwegian]

Old Jan 7, 20, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
EU261 question [Norwegian]

Flew from TPA-LGW-BCN. The first leg arrived at Gatwick and there was no gate available. We originally had a 1.5 hr connection and we ended up missing the flight to Barcelona and arrived 7 hrs later. This was fully the airlines fault and I am wondering if we are entitled to some form of EU261 compensation. We incurred expenses for luggage storage and trains into the city while we waited for our new flight. Any help is appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Which airline?

Was it all one ticket? If not, then EC261 won't apply.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As the delay was on a flight departing the US, EC 261/2004 would only apply if TPA-LGW was on an EU carrier. Was it?

As to storing bags and local transport, a carrier might reimburse those or toss some goodwill gesture, but not likely part of a duty of care even if the Regulation applied.
Old Jan 7, 20, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Which airline?

Was it all one ticket? If not, then EC261 won't apply.
it was all on one ticket, Norwegian.
Old Jan 7, 20, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As the delay was on a flight departing the US, EC 261/2004 would only apply if TPA-LGW was on an EU carrier. Was it?

As to storing bags and local transport, a carrier might reimburse those or toss some goodwill gesture, but not likely part of a duty of care even if the Regulation applied.
it was an EU carrier. To claim, do I email Norwegian? It seems very vague on how to request the compensation. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 20, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
it was an EU carrier. To claim, do I email Norwegian? It seems very vague on how to request the compensation. Thanks!
Yes, claim via Norwegian. They'll then deny the claim blaming the lack of stands at LGW. So, you'll then need to fight it, or hand it over to an agency to fight it for you (if you still believe you have a valid claim).

Was the flight also delayed, or did the whole 90 minutes get lost while waiting for the gate?
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Flew from TPA-LGW-BCN. The first leg arrived at Gatwick and there was no gate available. We originally had a 1.5 hr connection and we ended up missing the flight to Barcelona and arrived 7 hrs later. This was fully the airlines fault and I am wondering if we are entitled to some form of EU261 compensation. We incurred expenses for luggage storage and trains into the city while we waited for our new flight. Any help is appreciated.
Some of this does not make sense and we also lack full information to give you proper answers.

1. What was the date and flight numbers?

2. How do you know the delay was 'fully' Norwegians fault? What was said to you on the day?

3. Why did you incur luggage expenses?

4. Is this because you had two separare tickets one for TPA-LFW and another for LGW-BCN?

5. If you made a decision to go to London during the time between landing and your eventual departure to BCN that was your choice and can't claim for the train fares. Depending on the answer to Q4 you could claim for some food and drink expenses if you kept the receipts.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Some of this does not make sense and we also lack full information to give you proper answers.

1. What was the date and flight numbers?

2. How do you know the delay was 'fully' Norwegians fault? What was said to you on the day?

3. Why did you incur luggage expenses?

4. Is this because you had two separare tickets one for TPA-LFW and another for LGW-BCN?

5. If you made a decision to go to London during the time between landing and your eventual departure to BCN that was your choice and can't claim for the train fares. Depending on the answer to Q4 you could claim for some food and drink expenses if you kept the receipts.
As mentioned above, Norwegian, all on one ticket. They said there were no gates available but they would hold the BCN flight for us. Flight actually arrived early, however we sat waiting for quite a while and thatís why we missed the flight. They were unable to hold it any longer (apparently). Not really seeking additional compensation for the luggage storage, as that was a personal choice to go into the city. Basically, since no flight was actually delayed, however we arrived much later does that entitle us to the compensation? The lack of available gates does seem like the airlines problem, or they could have held the flight to Barcelona. So I suppose Iíll email Norwegian with all the facts and see what happens.
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:26 am

1. On the logistics side, why not use the webform which Norwegian supplies and takes about 30 seconds to find on its website:
https://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-...layed-flights/

2. Your claim is for EUR 600 as your ticket TPA-BCN with a connection at LGW is Type 3 and the delay exceeded 4 hours. You can fully expect Norwegian to deny the claim and to either have to file a claim in a UK small claims court (they do telephonic hearings, so no need to physically travel). If you have a legitimate UK address, you could use the online MCOL process, but your profile suggests the US. You could also turn this over to a claims agency. If it accepts your claim, it will take 25-33% of the loot.

3. You are also due a duty of care no matter the reason for the delay which would include meals during your 7 hour delay (hotel room if overnight). If Norwegian refused you meal vouchers, you can submit reasonable receipts. Norwegian is extremely unlikely to reimburse luggage storage and local transport costs and I don't see the Regulation as covering that without more facts.
Old Jan 8, 20, 4:19 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Flight actually arrived early, however we sat waiting for quite a while and thatís why we missed the flight. .
The time comparison is based on doors opening compared to scheduled arrival.
Old Jan 10, 20, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
The time comparison is based on doors opening compared to scheduled arrival.
I don't understand this. Could you explain it a little more?
Old Jan 10, 20, 6:53 am

Programs: QF WP
Basically itís not enough for the flight to arrive at the airport on time, itís considered delayed based on the time the doors are opened

so in your example even though it hit the asphalt early, the doors were opened 90 minutes late therefore it was actually delayed

(happy to be corrected)
Old Jan 10, 20, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
Basically itís not enough for the flight to arrive at the airport on time, itís considered delayed based on the time the doors are opened

so in your example even though it hit the asphalt early, the doors were opened 90 minutes late therefore it was actually delayed

(happy to be corrected)
So does a single flight have to be delayed more than 4 hours for EU261 or is the fact that I arrived at my final destination 7 hours late enough for compensation? I filled out the form on Norwegian but I still can't figure out if there's actually a case to be made.
Old Jan 10, 20, 8:31 am

So does a single flight have to be delayed more than 4 hours for EU261 or is the fact that I arrived at my final destination 7 hours late enough for compensation? I filled out the form on Norwegian but I still can't figure out if there's actually a case to be made.
It's when you arrived at the final destination that counts.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 10, 20, 10:24 am

The delay is measured as the originally scheduled time of arrival to the actual time of arrival at the final ticketed destination. "Arrival" is the time at which at least one cabin door is open and available for passenger offloading. Departure and connection times are irrelevant.

The sole question here is why there was no gate available at LGW.
nancypants and Fabo.sk like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: