Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting flights booked using OTA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Connecting flights booked using OTA

I am looking at booking a connecting flight booked through an OTA. It is on two different airlines (Air France and Belavia).

I am not clear on how this works.

Do I need a schengen visa (given the connection in CDG)?
Am I responsible for rebooking onto a later flight if I miss the connection because the first (Belavia) flight is late? Or would Air France put me on a later flight themselves?

i know what the answer would be no if the whole ticket was on Air France (and yes if it was a low cost airline), but I don’t understand how it would work in this case.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Bgs12
I am looking at booking a connecting flight booked through an OTA. It is on two different airlines (Air France and Belavia).

I am not clear on how this works.

Do I need a schengen visa (given the connection in CDG)?
Am I responsible for rebooking onto a later flight if I miss the connection because the first (Belavia) flight is late? Or would Air France put me on a later flight themselves?

i know what the answer would be no if the whole ticket was on Air France (and yes if it was a low cost airline), but I don’t understand how it would work in this case.
What are actual the end points of this journey? If the first flight is on Belavia that hints that the origin is most likely MSQ, but if the destination is within Schengen then you'll certainly need a Schengen visa. If then both the origin and the destination are outside Schengen then there is a chance that you could make the whole connection on non-Schengen airside without entering France (and Schengen area). And if the OTA can sell you this trip as a single ticket (I would guess that AF and B2 are interlining, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) then there should not be any worries for getting stranded on CDG and the airlines will reschedule (possibly also reroute) the second leg. Of course, the Schengen visa could be beneficial in that sort of situation or even in the case that the latter leg of the trip is much later than your original schedule was (eg. the next suitable flight is leaving the next day or possibly even later).
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

The flights are for MSQ to LHR via CDG.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Depends on the OTA sometimes.

Some of the dodgier ones will sell you two separate tickets at the same time. One of the more reputable OTAs will surely be selling you an interlined ticket where you are protected for mis-connects.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When you say "connection" make 100% certain that you are purchasing one. E.g., a single e-ticket number covering the two segments. If separate tickets, you do not have a connection. Sleazy TA's, whether OTA or not, will sometimes book on separate tickets and print a fancy itinerary which does not disclose this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Why not fly MSQ-LGW nonstop?
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.