Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Thomas Cook Enters Compulsory Liquidation

Thomas Cook Enters Compulsory Liquidation

Old Sep 23, 19, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
The, cough "government", has said that it will also bring home people that are not ATOL protected.
They did the same for Monarch as well.

RE TUI - they are implicated as well as Thomas Cook operated a few flights for them. Norwegian does likewise, so clearly they have a shortage of planes.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:51 am

Is there anyone on the same situation i am? i have a flight bought with condor, but the first leg is operated by thomas cook ( MT2843). Condor asked me like 800 euros to rebook my ticket, and doesn't let me skip the first leg of the trip, otherwise they will apply the no show rule. Is that possible? on the reservation statment it clearly says that my travel agent is condor, and not thomas cook, and more than that on my booking the reservation is still active and i haven't received any mail or call from the aircompany to inform me about changes or anything.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
It would not be unreasonable to suggest the media did a fine job of talking TC into the ground. I'm convinced they have their share of the blame in terms of crossing the line between reporting the news and making it happen. However, the fact that TC was structurally weak enough to be talked into the ground is entirely on TC's management.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
It would not be unreasonable to suggest the media did a fine job of talking TC into the ground. I'm convinced they have their share of the blame in terms of crossing the line between reporting the news and making it happen. However, the fact that TC was structurally weak enough to be talked into the ground is entirely on TC's management.
Indeed: it wasn’t primarily because of the media. It seems to have been their own mismanagement. See Frances Coppola’s tweets, in this thread:

And also her analysis here:

iflyjetz, Internaut and irishguy28 like this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by pippo82ve View Post
Is there anyone on the same situation i am? i have a flight bought with condor, but the first leg is operated by thomas cook ( MT2843). Condor asked me like 800 euros to rebook my ticket, and doesn't let me skip the first leg of the trip, otherwise they will apply the no show rule. Is that possible? on the reservation statment it clearly says that my travel agent is condor, and not thomas cook, and more than that on my booking the reservation is still active and i haven't received any mail or call from the aircompany to inform me about changes or anything.
What is the routing, when are the flights, and when were you notified?
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Who is Frances Coppola and why should we believe her opinion?
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this only a plane ticket or a package, possibly including hotel, rental car, tours, etc.?

Have you tried to look up your flight status on the Condor website and also on sources like flightaware.com? Is there anything about the flight on the Thomas Cook website? What's the route? And what's your travel date? If your departure is very close, you could also try checking the relevant airport websites to see whether the flight is listed.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Government chap on TV this morning said words to the effect of "it's not £200M they need, it is going to end up as £1.7BN which is why we are not bailing them out".
Internaut and SightseeMC like this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:22 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post

I don't see any malice, inaccuracies, or ill intention in there. News media shouldn't let consumers know that companies are struggling? I see no justification that the media "made it happen".
Old Sep 23, 19, 11:29 am

I haven't been notified! i haven't received any email or call by condor. On manage my bokking everything is still confirm!!! the flight is on the 30th of September. CUN - MAN (MT8243) / MAN - MPX (BE7535).
Old Sep 23, 19, 11:32 am

it's just an oj ticket CUN - MPX / VCE - CUN (30 september 2019 / 16 december 2019). No extra services or package. I haven't been notified, the cofirmation is still up, on twitter fb and call center they told me the TC flight is canceled, but nothing more except the advise of TC website that says that they are not flying anymore.
Old Sep 23, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I booked a one-way ticket for a friend, MAN-SFO in October. Anything I can do other than ask Amex to reverse the charge for it? Thanks for any ideas.
Old Sep 23, 19, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I booked a one-way ticket for a friend, MAN-SFO in October. Anything I can do other than ask Amex to reverse the charge for it? Thanks for any ideas.
You're the lawyer here.

In the meantime, if you can find a decent one way award ticket for flights/dates that will work, I'd grab it. If you can't find any award availability, maybe a connection through Dublin or use Norwegian if they seem to still be in business? TATL one way tickets on legacy carriers will otherwise be expensive.
Old Sep 23, 19, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If I'm reading this correctly, this sounds like a good time to hang up and call again (HUACA). It sounds like your entire trip is intact except for the first flight leg and that you're willing to get to the second leg on your own. All you 're asking them to do is to remove a flight that isn't going to happen from your itinerary and otherwise hold them harmless? It seems like if you get the right person they could make an exception.
Old Sep 23, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
You're the lawyer here.

In the meantime, if you can find a decent one way award ticket for flights/dates that will work, I'd grab it. If you can't find any award availability, maybe a connection through Dublin or use Norwegian if they seem to still be in business? TATL one way tickets on legacy carriers will otherwise be expensive.
Yes, but I have no idea how the various schemes in the UK and EU handle failed air carriers. It sounds like there are special provisions for those who are stranded right now, but I don't know if there is anything helps those with future flight-only bookings.

In the meantime, I'm looking to do as you suggest: Book a replacement.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: