FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other European Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines-469/)
-   -   Thomas Cook Enters Compulsory Liquidation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines/1988392-thomas-cook-enters-compulsory-liquidation.html)

Bohinjska Bistrica Sep 23, 19 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 31553896)
The, cough "government", has said that it will also bring home people that are not ATOL protected.

They did the same for Monarch as well.

RE TUI - they are implicated as well as Thomas Cook operated a few flights for them. Norwegian does likewise, so clearly they have a shortage of planes.

pippo82ve Sep 23, 19 8:51 am

Is there anyone on the same situation i am? i have a flight bought with condor, but the first leg is operated by thomas cook ( MT2843). Condor asked me like 800 euros to rebook my ticket, and doesn't let me skip the first leg of the trip, otherwise they will apply the no show rule. Is that possible? on the reservation statment it clearly says that my travel agent is condor, and not thomas cook, and more than that on my booking the reservation is still active and i haven't received any mail or call from the aircompany to inform me about changes or anything.

Internaut Sep 23, 19 8:54 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31553802)
Here's just a sample of the numerous articles chronicling Thomas Cook's perilous position in the past few months

April 2019: The Economist Travel companies Thomas Cook and TUI are under serious stress
May 2019: Bloomberg Thomas Cook shares slump as losses mount
May 2019: The Guardian Brexit chaos hits Thomas Cook as losses mount to £1.5bn
May 2019: Deutsche Welle Lufthansa looks to snap up Thomas Cook's Condor airline
May 2019: The Sun FIGHT OR FLIGHT Can I still book a package holiday with Thomas Cook and can I get my money back if it goes bust?
May 2019: Financial Times Thomas Cook faces tough task to fly itself out of trouble
June 2019: The Express Thomas Cook: 21,000 jobs at risk in travel break-up
July 2019: The Guardian Can Thomas Cook find a path through its perfect storm of woes?
August 2019: Sky Thomas Cook in rescue talks to secure extra £150m
August 2019: BBC Thomas Cook to sell majority stake to China's Fosun
August 2019: The Mirror Thomas Cook saved after £450million deal with Wolverhampton Wanderers' owner
3 September 2019: Yahoo Could Thomas Cook go bust?
7 September 2019: The Telegraph Thomas Cook rescue deal under threat from pension trustees
13 September 2019: Herald Scotland Thomas Cook warns it could 'run out of money' and go bust
15 September 2019: BBC Thomas Cook 'racing to finalise rescue deal'
15 September 2019: Thisismoney.co.uk CAA braced to rescue Thomas Cook customers if £900m rescue deal collapses

It would not be unreasonable to suggest the media did a fine job of talking TC into the ground. I'm convinced they have their share of the blame in terms of crossing the line between reporting the news and making it happen. However, the fact that TC was structurally weak enough to be talked into the ground is entirely on TC's management.

salut0 Sep 23, 19 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 31554153)
It would not be unreasonable to suggest the media did a fine job of talking TC into the ground. I'm convinced they have their share of the blame in terms of crossing the line between reporting the news and making it happen. However, the fact that TC was structurally weak enough to be talked into the ground is entirely on TC's management.

Indeed: it wasn’t primarily because of the media. It seems to have been their own mismanagement. See Frances Coppola’s tweets, in this thread:

And also her analysis here:

Often1 Sep 23, 19 9:18 am

Originally Posted by pippo82ve (Post 31554135)
Is there anyone on the same situation i am? i have a flight bought with condor, but the first leg is operated by thomas cook ( MT2843). Condor asked me like 800 euros to rebook my ticket, and doesn't let me skip the first leg of the trip, otherwise they will apply the no show rule. Is that possible? on the reservation statment it clearly says that my travel agent is condor, and not thomas cook, and more than that on my booking the reservation is still active and i haven't received any mail or call from the aircompany to inform me about changes or anything.

What is the routing, when are the flights, and when were you notified?

MSPeconomist Sep 23, 19 9:18 am

Who is Frances Coppola and why should we believe her opinion?

MSPeconomist Sep 23, 19 9:21 am

Is this only a plane ticket or a package, possibly including hotel, rental car, tours, etc.?

Have you tried to look up your flight status on the Condor website and also on sources like flightaware.com? Is there anything about the flight on the Thomas Cook website? What's the route? And what's your travel date? If your departure is very close, you could also try checking the relevant airport websites to see whether the flight is listed.

Silver Fox Sep 23, 19 9:21 am

Government chap on TV this morning said words to the effect of "it's not £200M they need, it is going to end up as £1.7BN which is why we are not bailing them out".

jerry305 Sep 23, 19 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 31554153)

I don't see any malice, inaccuracies, or ill intention in there. News media shouldn't let consumers know that companies are struggling? I see no justification that the media "made it happen".

pippo82ve Sep 23, 19 10:29 am

I haven't been notified! i haven't received any email or call by condor. On manage my bokking everything is still confirm!!! the flight is on the 30th of September. CUN - MAN (MT8243) / MAN - MPX (BE7535).

pippo82ve Sep 23, 19 10:32 am

it's just an oj ticket CUN - MPX / VCE - CUN (30 september 2019 / 16 december 2019). No extra services or package. I haven't been notified, the cofirmation is still up, on twitter fb and call center they told me the TC flight is canceled, but nothing more except the advise of TC website that says that they are not flying anymore.

dhuey Sep 23, 19 10:55 am

I booked a one-way ticket for a friend, MAN-SFO in October. Anything I can do other than ask Amex to reverse the charge for it? Thanks for any ideas.

MSPeconomist Sep 23, 19 11:00 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31554587)
I booked a one-way ticket for a friend, MAN-SFO in October. Anything I can do other than ask Amex to reverse the charge for it? Thanks for any ideas.

You're the lawyer here.

In the meantime, if you can find a decent one way award ticket for flights/dates that will work, I'd grab it. If you can't find any award availability, maybe a connection through Dublin or use Norwegian if they seem to still be in business? TATL one way tickets on legacy carriers will otherwise be expensive.

milepig Sep 23, 19 11:08 am

If I'm reading this correctly, this sounds like a good time to hang up and call again (HUACA). It sounds like your entire trip is intact except for the first flight leg and that you're willing to get to the second leg on your own. All you 're asking them to do is to remove a flight that isn't going to happen from your itinerary and otherwise hold them harmless? It seems like if you get the right person they could make an exception.

dhuey Sep 23, 19 11:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31554604)
You're the lawyer here.

In the meantime, if you can find a decent one way award ticket for flights/dates that will work, I'd grab it. If you can't find any award availability, maybe a connection through Dublin or use Norwegian if they seem to still be in business? TATL one way tickets on legacy carriers will otherwise be expensive.

Yes, but I have no idea how the various schemes in the UK and EU handle failed air carriers. It sounds like there are special provisions for those who are stranded right now, but I don't know if there is anything helps those with future flight-only bookings.

In the meantime, I'm looking to do as you suggest: Book a replacement.