Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

A Review of Condor and Connections with Alaska Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Firstly, Condor have not been good to me! See Eu261 Condor pushed back flight entire day but I'll try to be unbiased here.

I flew them FRA-PDX and then with Alaska (but coded as a Condor flight PDX-SFO). Here is my opinion.

Check in at FRA went smoothly. The condor check in people knew what they were doing but it was clear they were over-whelmed. An earlier flight FRA to LAS was due to board soon and the hadn't checked them all in.
Rule #1 - Arrive 3 hours earlier at FRA. I did and made it to the gate with just an hour to spare before take off.

The plane itself (767-300ER) was suprisingly nice and new. On par with any plane I've flown transscon with UA, AA etc. The FA were attentive. The seats were decently padded but pitch is only 30 inches. As a 6 foot 200 pound guy it was okay for me.

On to the food. For the 11 hour flight we received dinner and breakfast, no mid flight snack. The food was actually quite nice. Again on par with UA/AA but there just wasn't as much of it as on these other airlines. It's been noted the food from flights to Europe to the US is better than the other direction.
Rule #2 - Bring on extra food or eat before you get on. The food at FRA was very cheap. The McDonalds in B Gate Terminal 1 (where condor leave from) has cheap to go places with really good food (i.e. McDonalds).

The FTE was modern but you only got 2 free movies and 2 free sitcoms (one episode each). There is no way to charge your laptop.
Rule #3 - Be prepared to pay extra for the enhanced FTE or put movies on your phone (there is a USB charger).

We left a bit late (as seems to always be the case with Condor). On arriving in PDX going through customs and immigration was a breeze (20 minutes max). Turned the corner and rechecked luggage (1 minute wait).
Rule #4 - Book a 3 hour layer over not because PDX is busy but because of condor.

The only hiccup you may get is that Condor can't give you an Alaska boarding pass. At the baggage recheck in PDX they have a computer to get a boarding pass. But its better to check in online with Alaska. Ask Condor for the Alaska RL and you can do this.

Overall it worked very well using the above rules and is quite cheap as well

Last edited by usedtobeimportant; Sep 21, 2019 at 8:36 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Phone Time Response

I forgot to add. That their phone response time in the US is great. I spent at most 10 minutes waiting.

But that song! "Condor Born to Fly" repeated again and again and again! Kind of funny when they've delayed your flight! At least through in some extra words.

Condor Born To Fly
If You Fly With Us, You Won't Die
Our seat pitch is small
So don't fly with us if your extra tall
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
places with really good food (i.e. McDonalds)
Reminds me of the time I was stopped on O'Connell Street in Dublin by an elderly American couple, who asked me if I could recommend "somewhere good to eat, like McDonalds"
farci likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You misquoted me

I said cheap food that was good quality.

I find the McDonalds in mainland europe to be great in particular their salads.

Had a great ceasear salad at FRA!

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Reminds me of the time I was stopped on O'Connell Street in Dublin by an elderly American couple, who asked me if I could recommend "somewhere good to eat, like McDonalds"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.