Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Smartwing - 2hours 20 minutes on one engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Incident: Smartwings B738 over Aegean Sea on Aug 22nd 2019, engine shut down in flight, aircraft continued to Prague

A Smartwings Boeing 737-800, registration OK-TVO performing flight QS-1125 from Samos (Greece) to Prague (Czech Republic) with 170 people on board, was enroute at FL360 over the Aegean Sea about 100nm northeast of Athens (Greece) when the crew drifted the aircraft down to FL240 and continued to Prague at FL240 for a landing without further incident about 2:20 hours later.

The Aviation Herald received information that the #1 engine (CFM56, left hand) shut down spontaneously while enroute at FL360. The crew descended the aircraft to FL240, worked the related checklists and attempted to relight the engine twice, first using windmilling and then using crossbleed, the engine however did not restart. As there was sufficient fuel on board the crew decided to continue to Prague nonetheless.
The reading is damning, the PPrune thread adds some more: https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...-2019-a-3.html

I hope all concerned regulatory bodies will have a close look at this incident and the entire safety culture of the airline. One more on my no fly list.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:01 pm

And please note that this airline operates all flights for Czech Airlines, just in case someone will be booking a flight of Czech Airlines. Smartwings are owners of Czech Airlines brand and got rid of all Czech Airlines planes except ATRs for its scheduled opaerations. It is beyond my understanding how this is accepted by SkyTeam.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by travelalot2
And please note that this airline operates all flights for Czech Airlines, just in case someone will be booking a flight of Czech Airlines. Smartwings are owners of Czech Airlines brand and got rid of all Czech Airlines planes except ATRs for its scheduled opaerations. It is beyond my understanding how this is accepted by SkyTeam.
CSA still operate some of its flights on a single A319 that remains in their colours. The rest of CSA's Airbus are leased to Eurowings.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by lehovec
CSA still operate some of its flights on a single A319 that remains in their colours. The rest of CSA's Airbus are leased to Eurowings.
it looks like CSA operates 3 jets

the A319 OK-MEL as already mentioned
also a B737-800 OK-TST
and a A330-200 OK-YBA which they use on their Seoul route

as well as half a dozen ATR72s

i didn't realise that CSA had almost become a virtual airline

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.