Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Cancel Flight to Rome Tomorrow: Compensation?

Old Aug 17, 19, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

Norwegian just sent a message that they have cancelled our flight BOS-FCO tomorrow due to "technical problems" (T-31 hours).

Any compensation available due to EU rules?
justforfun likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Assuming that they're rebooking you, when will you arrive at FCO?
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
The next flight is the next day. Passing I can eve get through to them on the phone. We also have no refundable tix and losing this extra day really shortchanged our trip. Grr.
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nologic View Post
The next flight is the next day. Passing I can eve get through to them on the phone. We also have no refundable tix and losing this extra day really shortchanged our trip. Grr.
There might be Norwegian flights from airports other than BOS, such as BDL or even NYC, so they might be able to rebook you on another route if you can get yourself to an alternative airport.
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Sure, there's a flight from EWR at 11:30pm, and we'dhpe to pay $400 each to fly from BOS-EWR at 4pm,then wait for 5-6 hours.

We're currently booked w 2 in premium and 2 in coach.

But first of all, are we entitled to $600/person in EU comp, or more?

Also, if we fly to EWR and take that Norwegian flight, we arrive at about the same time, so they can claim not eligible for EU compensation.

I don't think they will FOB to another carrier or pay for travel on another carrier to another feature destination?
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Sure, there's a flight from EWR at 11:30pm, and we'dhpe to pay $400 each to fly from BOS-EWR at 4pm,then wait for 5-6 hours.

We're currently booked w 2 in premium and 2 in coach.

Also, if we fly to EWR and take that Norwegian flight, we arrive at about the same time, so they can claim not eligible for EU compensation.

I don't think they will FOB to another carrier or pay for travel on another carrier to another feature destination?
After 45+ mins now I am back on hold w someone as she looks up options.

But I don't know my rights.

As I see a connection on Turkish tomorrow BOS to Rom for $500 in economy, but I wouldn't fly economy. Don't know if they have a guaranteed cheap upgrade to business.

Also, doing know what Norwegian typically proposes in these situations.
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:20 pm

After 45+ mins now I am back on hold w someone as she looks up options.

But I don't know my rights.

As I see a connection on Turkish tomorrow BOS to Rom for $500 in economy, but I wouldn't fly economy. Don't know if they have a guaranteed cheap upgrade to business.

Also, doing know what Norwegian typically proposes in these situations.
AFAIK Norwegian doesn't interline with anyone, so they either rebook you on something acceptable from their own flights or give you a full refund.

You might want to check the big sticky thread in the BA forum on EC261 compensation. It's very detailed and authoritative.
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK Norwegian doesn't interline with anyone, so they either rebook you on something acceptable from their own flights or give you a full refund.

You might want to check the big sticky thread in the BA forum on EC261 compensation. It's very detailed and authoritative.
I'm concerned if they rebook us on EWR-FCO which arrives in and around our originally scheduled time, I will lose their the oppty to file for EUR/600 each in cancelled flight compensation.

If we got EUR600 each, I would pay $299 each to fly BOS-EWR, which also entails 5+ hours longer travel time.
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm concerned if they rebook us on EWR-FCO which arrives in and around our originally scheduled time, I will lose their the oppty to file for EUR/600 each in cancelled flight compensation.

If we got EUR600 each, I would pay $299 each to fly BOS-EWR, which also entails 5+ hours longer travel time.
They way I see it, we still have a cancelled flight. If theyrbook us on a flight from another city and we have to pay to get there, shouldn't we still be entitled for EUR600 for the cancellation, even though we arrived at the correct time?
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Norwegian IRROPS and EC261 compensation

Ok, gurus, I really need you help.

At approx 4pm Boston time, Norwegian cancelled our BOS-FCO flight scheduled for 11pm tomorrow (4 people) due to technical problems.

There are no Norwegian flights to Rome available for 3 days.

There is a Norwegian flight from EWR to FCO available tomorrow, departing at 11:30pm, which arrives in FCo at about the same time as our original Boston flight.

Connecting flights on UA from BOS-EWR are $299 each.

I am tempted to take this EWR-FCO and pay $299 each BOS-EWR, but not if we will be foregoing our rights to EUR600 cancelled flight compensation BOS-FCO.

So, if we do rebook EWR - FCO, and pay our own way to EWR, will we still be entitled to EUR 600 EU cancelled flight compensation?
Old Aug 17, 19, 8:08 pm

@nologic: So, how did this end? Did they rebook you? If yes, from where? By the way, if you have to find your own way to EWR, did you consider Amtrak? It will definitely be cheaper than $299 per person!
Old Aug 17, 19, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

I got disconnected w Norwegian after talking with them...very difficult...now on hold 2 hours and not connected. I am not sure we have time for Amtrak.
Old Aug 18, 19, 5:49 am

Keep in mind that even if 600 euros are due, Norwegian takes a VERY long time to pay up. My claim from last summer took six months before money appeared in my bank account. So even if the claim is valid (which I am not sure it is), it will be a lot of effort and a long time before you see the money (if ever, should Norwegian go kaput) and I would make decisions assuming no 600 euros.

I am not a EU261 expert but I think if you accept a EWR-FCO reroute that is the end of it and they are not liable for your transport down (or they may only pay for Greyhound + NJ Transit). Also entitled to duty of care but if you're from BOS then it won't amount to much.

Last edited by Agneisse; Aug 18, 19 at 6:05 am
Old Aug 18, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Yes, EUR 600 per passenger!

This is not the problem of the passenger. Norwegian can certainly book a flight on expedia.com or directly on the airlines website with a corporate credit card.
Anyhow, the passenger may book the replacement flight by himself and claim that ticket costs back later, because Norwegian is violating EC261/2004 article 8 free rebooking onto the next available flight.
If it is Economy, Norwegian has to refund another 75% of the fare.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Yes, EUR 600 per passenger!

This is not the problem of the passenger. Norwegian can certainly book a flight on expedia.com or directly on the airlines website with a corporate credit card.
Anyhow, the passenger may book the replacement flight by himself and claim that ticket costs back later, because Norwegian is violating EC261/2004 article 8 free rebooking onto the next available flight.
If it is Economy, Norwegian has to refund another 75% of the fare.
This is very interesting. You are saying I could have re-booked myself and claimed reimbursement later? Wow.

Well, booked in upgraded premium, what would have been reasonable? Premium on BA or a normal airline or business class? Norwegian's "premium" is a hybrid, more like business class IMO than Premium Economy.

Anyway, here's what happened:

1) There is a special rebooking line where they are aware of the costs and try to mitigate but have limited leeway. Norwegian said they would only rebook on Norwegian trans-atlantic...grr, that makes it hard when most flights are full.

2) Norwegian said they would pay for one connecting segment on another airline, but options were very limited. They would pay to go BOS-EWR on UA at 11AM, but not at 4pm or 6pm for an 11:30 pm EWR-FCO departure. No reason given. Fare was the same $299. Only computer option. They willl not pay for two connecting flights on either side-- choose an intra US connection or an intra-Europe connection. I wanted them to fly us BOS-NYC on UA or AA, then NYC-LHR in premium which was available, then LHR-FCO on BA...no, can't do two connections with another airline.

3) We opted for a downgrade BOS-CDG with a 4 hour layover in CDG. They paid for connection CDG-FCO on AF. We collected our luggage and rechecked into AF. We had 2-3 hours at CDG and had lunch. We have sought reimbursement for EUR 135 for lunch for four people. We arrived approx 4 hours later than our originally scheduled arrival at FCO.

4) I have claimed for reimbursement for:

(i) cancelled flight/late arrival. I expect EUR 600/person comp.
(ii) involuntary downgrade compensation (no clue what this will be, we paid $255 each for upgrade off a low fare of approx $350).
(iii) EUR 135 in food and beverage expenses for 4 people at CDG.

We'll see what happens.

BTW, the Norwegian agent did comp us free checked bags and meals for 2 people on the BOS-CDG flight. I did not request this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: