FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other European Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines-469/)
-   -   Norwegian Cancel Flight to Rome Tomorrow: Compensation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines/1983419-norwegian-cancel-flight-rome-tomorrow-compensation.html)

Often1 Aug 24, 2019 4:00 pm

1. Do not count on EC 261/2004 compensation or reimbursement. DY is known for taking forever and given its shaky financial situation, it may well be insolvent before you are paid. At that point, you will be due your compensation / reimbursement, but stand in line as an unsecured creditor. This means that you will see little or nothing and even the "little" may be years from now.

2. OP is not due, at most 50% of the delay/cancellation compensation, e.g. EUR 300 because he was offered a reroute via EWR which required him to leave much earlier than scheduled, but arrive within the window. Had DY booked him onto the 18:00 EWR service, it would likely have avoided any cancellation/delay compensation. Can't figure out why it was so insistent as the pricing was the same.

3. Downgrade reimbursement would have been 75% of the base segment fare (not the fare difference) downgraded. But, that was a voluntary reroute and OP was offered a reroute in his class of service which he declined.

4. OP is certainly due a reimbursement for DY's duty of care for lunch. I suspect that he will see no more than EUR 15 per person.

Frankly, I would look carefully at travel insurance here. It may be less hassle and pay sooner.

FiveMileFinal Aug 27, 2019 8:26 pm

Deleted...wrong thread

SK AAR Aug 28, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31452927)
1. Do not count on EC 261/2004 compensation or reimbursement. DY is known for taking forever and given its shaky financial situation, it may well be insolvent before you are paid. At that point, you will be due your compensation / reimbursement, but stand in line as an unsecured creditor. This means that you will see little or nothing and even the "little" may be years from now.

2. OP is not due, at most 50% of the delay/cancellation compensation, e.g. EUR 300 because he was offered a reroute via EWR which required him to leave much earlier than scheduled, but arrive within the window. Had DY booked him onto the 18:00 EWR service, it would likely have avoided any cancellation/delay compensation. Can't figure out why it was so insistent as the pricing was the same.

3. Downgrade reimbursement would have been 75% of the base segment fare (not the fare difference) downgraded. But, that was a voluntary reroute and OP was offered a reroute in his class of service which he declined.

4. OP is certainly due a reimbursement for DY's duty of care for lunch. I suspect that he will see no more than EUR 15 per person.

Frankly, I would look carefully at travel insurance here. It may be less hassle and pay sooner.

I second this.

It will be up-hill to get any compensation from DY. It has been reported many times that DY is very reluctant to pay out comp. even in clear cases.

2) If the OP declined the rebooking via EWR at most EUR 300 per pax is due. If any at all.

3) This is a voluntary reroute albeit in a lower service class - no comp. is due.

4) There is no way DY will reimburse EUR 35 for pers. for lunch! - where did you dine?

Often1 Aug 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31466510)
I second this.

It will be up-hill to get any compensation from DY. It has been reported many times that DY is very reluctant to pay out comp. even in clear cases.

2) If the OP declined the rebooking via EWR at most EUR 300 per pax is due. If any at all.

3) This is a voluntary reroute albeit in a lower service class - no comp. is due.

4) There is no way DY will reimburse EUR 35 for pers. for lunch! - where did you dine?

Or perhaps, what did you order?;)

samwise6222 Sep 5, 2019 8:54 am

FWIW i am still chasing them for EC 261/2004 compensation from 18 months ago.

gab787 Sep 15, 2019 11:38 am

samwise6222 have you considered escalating to Small Claims Court? In NY it should be pretty straightforward...

Often1 Sep 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by gab787 (Post 31527706)
samwise6222 have you considered escalating to Small Claims Court? In NY it should be pretty straightforward...

Escalate what?

This is a claim under an EU Regulation.

NY courts enforce NY law. Not EU law (or for that matter any law other than NY).

gab787 Sep 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Often1 I am going to have to disagree with you on that one. Norwegian explains on its US website that all its passengers are entitled to compensation in some specific circumstances (due to European regulation but that is not relevant in my opinion). If they do not offer compensation when one of those circumstances occurs, then I consider that it is a breach of contract under the law of the state where the ticket was purchased. Anyway that is the position I took when I went to Small Claims Court... and Norwegian ended up paying everything I asked for. I should however add that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice... but I don't see why it would not work for samwise6222

usedtobeimportant Sep 16, 2019 6:46 am

Please provide a pointer

This is exactly what I did with Condor. They delayed my flight by a day. I cancelled (supposed to get full refund) and booked another flight on another airline.

Condor told me I can not claim compensation. But I think your saying Inget back another 75% of what? The new ticket price?

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 31429250)
Yes, EUR 600 per passenger!

This is not the problem of the passenger. Norwegian can certainly book a flight on expedia.com or directly on the airlines website with a corporate credit card.
Anyhow, the passenger may book the replacement flight by himself and claim that ticket costs back later, because Norwegian is violating EC261/2004 article 8 free rebooking onto the next available flight.
If it is Economy, Norwegian has to refund another 75% of the fare.

luggagefreak Oct 4, 2019 4:46 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 31493345)
FWIW i am still chasing them for EC 261/2004 compensation from 18 months ago.

Maybe consider using airhelp.com. They can follow-up for you. You only pay 25% commission if you win.