Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

A Salutary Lesson [arrived at gate too late to board EasyJet flight]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Salutary Lesson [arrived at gate too late to board EasyJet flight]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Fly BA and not EasyJet? It was originally posted in the BA forum.
I tweeted exactly that on EasyJet page.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by botham

Most airlines don’t require pax to be at gate 30 minutes before departure, to be allowed on flight. Some even call missing pax by name. At least most flights are called.

Easyjet made it harder for my grandchildren by getting them to check in buggy, rather than take it to gate and as car seats etc cannot be checked in until last bag has been dropped, we all had to wait for last person to arrive on delayed train, then dash to gate.

I guess delays in security were caused by school holiday traffic.
UA is 30 minutes for international flights

When do I need to be at the boarding gate?

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...es/checkin.php
Boarding closes at the following times for United Airlines (UA) flights:
  • 15 minutes before scheduled departure time for US domestic flights
  • 30 minutes before scheduled departure time for most international flights to/from the US. Some non-US airports close boarding 60 minutes before scheduled departure time. Check united.com for exact details.

DL is 45 minutes and in some cases 60 minutes at the gate

Minimum At Gate

45 Minutes Before Departure

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in...ional-check-in
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
UA is 30 minutes for international flightsWhen do I need to be at the boarding gate?

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...es/checkin.php

DL is 45 minutes and in some cases 60 minutes at the gate

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in...ional-check-in
I'm not aware of any airports where DL requires more than 30 minutes, which is the DL norm for international flights if the passenger originates at that airport (rather than connecting from another flight, where MCT for D-I can be thirty minutes, so that the passenger cannot be expected to be at the gate by T-30).

The link you posted seems to be about "suggested" times.

Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

So, eight passengers showed up at the gate too late for the outbound flight, and on the return flight the group didn't think they should play it safe and go to the airport early enough so that they could make it to the gate even if there were unusual delays?
Sounds like they didn't learn their lesson.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Also if the pax have to wait to check car seats and strollers last, then I would have let one (agile) person stay behind (with no hand luggage etc) and send everyone else to the gate?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GFrye
So, eight passengers showed up at the gate too late for the outbound flight, and on the return flight the group didn't think they should play it safe and go to the airport early enough so that they could make it to the gate even if there were unusual delays?
Sounds like they didn't learn their lesson.
What are you on about. All 12 of us were at the gate well in time for return flight.
polinka likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think some readers might have assumed that this post of yours meant that the group got whittled down again on the return:

Apparently on the return flight,today, seven pax missed flight.

But hey! At least they didn't cancel the return sectors for the passengers who missed their outbound sector!
Flapjacks and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I think some readers might have assumed that this post of yours meant that the group got whittled down again on the return:
Indeed. If the “Apparently on the return flight,today, seven pax missed flight.” wasn’t referring to people in the OP’s group, it has nothing to do with the OP’s original post and rants about EasyJet following their published rules.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Indeed. If the “Apparently on the return flight,today, seven pax missed flight.” wasn’t referring to people in the OP’s group, it has nothing to do with the OP’s original post and rants about EasyJet following their published rules.
The clue is in the word ‘apparently’, I think I’d know if my family weren’t on the return. The crew told me that 7 pax had missed this flight.

As for my ‘rant’, I was hoping EasyJet might show a little bit of compassion to two young families, rather than strictly adhering to their rules.

Hopefully the few perfect posters on this forum won’t ever make a mistake.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended

Some people take responsibility for their mistakes.
Others rant about airlines not being willing to disregard their rules and swear to never fly on a particular airline ever again.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Some people take responsibility for their mistakes.
Others rant about airlines not being willing to disregard their rules and swear to never fly on a particular airline ever again.
Fortunately, my experience of FT posters is positive encouraging polite and dignified debate.
DaveS likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

“I’m never flying <airline x> again because they refused to bend the rules for me” is a what you call “dignified debate”?
The responsibility for missing the outbound flight lies solely with your group. If that experience was so upsetting to you, you may be better off with “I’m never flying with you guys again” instead of complaining about EasyJet having the audacity to enforce their rules.
farci, ulxima, lehovec and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:11 am

Hey guys/gals: if there is a chance for this lesson to really be salutary, let's all think of the saying the wiser head gives in.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I am sorry that some of your party missed their flight, which must have been a very stressful experience. However, the responsibility for this lies solely with your party.

EasyJet's (and other airlines') policies on check-in and boarding times are well publicised and easy to understand - and they apply to everyone, including you.

I am sorry to have to say this, but your complaint sounds very much like a classic case of: "I understand the rules. I just don't think they should apply to me".

This is nothing to do with EasyJet. I am certain you would be saying exactly the same thing about BA, Lufthansa or anyone else, had you missed one of their flights.

There are two expensive lessons to be learned here - and neither of them has anything to do with your choice of airline:

1. Don't be late.
2. Take responsibility for your mistakes.
​​​​​
I wish you luck in your future travels.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:35 am

Easyjet made it harder for my grandchildren by getting them to check in buggy, rather than take it to gate and as car seats etc cannot be checked in until last bag has been dropped, we all had to wait for last person to arrive on delayed train, then dash to gate.
I don’t understand this part. They wouldn’t let you check in car seats at a check-in counter until every other passenger on the same flight had checked their bags? How could they possibly know that every passenger that was going to check a bag had done so? Not everyone pays for hold baggage in advance.

We’ve flown easyJet a handful of times and have checked our car seats at the same time and place as we checked our regular hold bags. What is the point of making you wait?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.