Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian vs Aegean

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Norwegian vs Aegean

Looking at flights from Barcelona to Tel Aviv in November. Timing wise best options are a nonstop on Norwegian or a 1 stop on Aegean. Having not flown either is one recommended over the other or should one be avoided. There is also an Air France flight but timing not as good with a longer layover. El AL nonstop timing is too late.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Norwegian is low cost, Aegean is full service.

Take your pick.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
price comes into this.

Also how long does the extra stop add to your trip? Also what happens if your 1ft flight is late and you miss the onward?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
In addition to what @lhrpete and @UKtravelbear wrote, the hard product shouldn't be very different. Aegean operate a previous generation (ceo) A320-family birds, while Norwegian operate B738s. A3 is a *A member so, unlike DY, you will rack up some *A miles on your FFP account (provided that the fare bucket is a mileage-earning one). A3's soft product is also considerably better than that of DY, since they are a full-service airline. They usually offer a small meal and free drinks even on Y, while DY is exclusively BoB.

DY on the other hand offers free Wi-Fi onboard. Not that you should expect to stream the latest HBO series or watch videos on youtube, but you should be able to do some browsing, and send/receive emails and chat messages. Note though that since their 737-Max are grounded, and summer is a peak season in Europe, you are very likely to fly a wet leased aircraft rather than a DY metal one, so this may not be very relevant after all.

In the end IMHO it boils down to price and layover time, as @UKtravelbear pointed out...
KLouis and farci like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
You might also want to consider Vueling on this route, 4X/week in October, they have a nonstop redeye and an afternoon flight that connects in FCO.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Veuling only has their redeye getting in at 4:10 am on that date so trying to avoid that. El Al also has a red eye around that time that is non stop. The stop with Aegean adds about 1.5 hours. Pricing is pretty close on the Aegean vs Norweigian.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by holocker
Veuling only has their redeye getting in at 4:10 am on that date so trying to avoid that. El Al also has a red eye around that time that is non stop. The stop with Aegean adds about 1.5 hours. Pricing is pretty close on the Aegean vs Norweigian.
By the time you add on the cost of seat selection, on-board food, checked luggage, etc. Norwegian will end up costing far more.

I'd fly Aegean one-stop 10 times out of 10...
Dover2Golf and SK like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Norwegian is low cost, Aegean is full service.

Take your pick.
AND from past experience AF (and France airports) is/are always under the "headlock" of a strike in France. My travelling companion was stuck in Toulouse for 3 days because of a Paris strike. Similarly my sons were stuck in Paris because of some AF labour dispute. But then, YMMV 🙄

This sumner we travel by SNCF and maybe on bikes - with much of our time on bicycles...

Last edited by tmac100; Jul 11, 2019 at 4:18 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craigthemif
By the time you add on the cost of seat selection, on-board food, checked luggage, etc. Norwegian will end up costing far more.

I'd fly Aegean one-stop 10 times out of 10...
I like Aegean a lot, but I would choose a non-stop and free WiFi if it weren’t for the Aegean frequent flyer program. Aegean seat selection can cost money too, even for A3*Gs. And I’m usually a carry-on-only type of person, so bag fees don’t move me most times. Aegean in-flight food and drink is included, but I don’t know how much I’d value it given I prefer to eat on the ground and minimize eating airline food in-flight if in economy class and bring my own water.

Norwegian usually seems to have USB power readily available on its planes. And free WiFi is better than paid WiFi (which Aegean offers on at least some flights).
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And free WiFi is better than paid WiFi (which Aegean offers on at least some flights).
Is this something new? I fly them quite regularly, and the only such service I 've seen is a decent but rather uninteresting Wi-Fi based IFE system that pax can access through the Aegean app on their smartphones and tablets. No proper Wi-Fi, free or paid. But I may have missed that. And true, DY does offer USB charging ports in many aircraft, unlike A3. Yet, especially during summertime, it's very likely that the flight will not be operated by DY. Their fleet has always been stretched to its limits in July, August, and September, even before they had to ground their MAX fleet.

It is also true that in both carriers checking in bags and selecting seats is charged extra. Moreover if OP is taller than average it would advised to avoid rear seats in both A3 and DY since the pitch is very tight.

Personally I would fly A3 over DY any time, on any given route, provided that prices were comparable. Yet in this case, I have to agree with @GUWonder, Since routing is not the same, I would go for the direct one. The only thing that would give me second thoughts (but most likely not change my mind) would be a sufficient amount of accrued *A miles
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And free WiFi is better than paid WiFi (which Aegean offers on at least some flights).
Do you mean Aegean Stream?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.