Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian change to another carrier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Norwegian change to another carrier

I received information that my Norwegian flight is changed to another carrier in August (Gatwick-HEL). They do not tell which airline will operate and neither will they give a refund if I choose not to travel. This is unacceptable.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by ylefin
I received information that my Norwegian flight is changed to another carrier in August (Gatwick-HEL). They do not tell which airline will operate and neither will they give a refund if I choose not to travel. This is unacceptable.
Difficult to comment without details of the booked flight. If the service still operates to schedule, in what way is it 'unacceptable'?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
if you gave details people would be able to help/state if it is allowable or not
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Under EU regulation 2111/2005 they have to inform you who the operating carrier is.

If the air carrier(s) is changed after reservation the air carriage contractor shall immediately take all appropriate steps to ensure that the passenger is informed of the change as soon as possible.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Under EU regulation 2111/2005 they have to inform you who the operating carrier is.
But they did not. Finnair, for example, gives you a refund or a possibility to rebook AND tells you which airline operates the flight.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As others have mentioned, if you could provide the flight number and date, someone could take a look at your situation.
It's pretty hard to talk about a one-time carrier change without knowing the flight information.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As others have mentioned, if you could provide the flight number and date, someone could take a look at your situation.
It's pretty hard to talk about a one-time carrier change without knowing the flight information.
This. We love to help people but you aren’t supplying the information we need to do so.
East_and_West and farci like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
No need to be hysterical. The plane will have different colors, but will even have Norwegian headrest covers. It did happen to me, and there was nothing special to talk about. I think it has something to do with the Boeing issue; Norwegian then has to borrow a plane from another small company (it was a Greek airline in our case).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

But they did not. Finnair, for example, gives you a refund or a possibility to rebook AND tells you which airline operates the flight.
That offer to rebook is not required by the EU regulation. The information of operating carrier is a must though.

The operators selected by Norwegian to cover their B788 and 73M are very diverse: it seems Evelop and HiFly is sort of OK, Euroatlantic not so much.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Different airlines have different policies. Just because Finnair does does not mean Norwegian has to. Other airlines have different policies. sub substitutions actually provide better service.

And I'll add my request to others for you to please provide full information so we can give you full advice such as what the email from Norwegian said about the change.

And if the email isn't clear then do a dummy booking on google flights and tell us what airline it says is operating your flight.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Different airlines have different policies. Just because Finnair does does not mean Norwegian has to. Other airlines have different policies. sub substitutions actually provide better service.

And I'll add my request to others for you to please provide full information so we can give you full advice such as what the email from Norwegian said about the change.

And if the email isn't clear then do a dummy booking on google flights and tell us what airline it says is operating your flight.
OK, here are the detalis. The flight is actually HEL-LGW Aug 20 D8730 17.05-18.10. The interesting thing here is also that when doing a dummy booking on the same flight the flight is still operated by Norwegian Air International. Same thing when I look at my booking - no mention of change of Carrier. Still the email to me says: "Greetings traveller,
We are contacting you to inform you that your flight xxxxxx will be operated by another Carrier.

We understand that these changes are not ideal, but it was necessary for us to lease an aircraft from another Carrier in order to avoid a disruption to your flight.

We're sorry for the disappointment this change may cause."

I also contacted Norwegian by email but did not get any answer. This does not give a very good picture of Norwegian as a flight operator. The fact that they still sell the flight as operated by Norwegian is, I suppose, against all rules.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:06 am

Very weird. You flight has no info and is not indicated in the GDS to be operated by anyone else than D8.

Code:
DOD8370/20AUG
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* D8 370 47 TU 20AUG19
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
HEL 1705 TU DCESAKYRBUW/G 73H 3:05
ZMLVTHPXQG/G
LGW 1810 TU 3:05
COMMENTS-
1.HEL LGW - DEPARTS TERMINAL 2
2.HEL LGW - ARRIVES TERMINAL S
3.HEL LGW - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.HEL LGW - 13/ INTERNET ACCESS
5.HEL LGW - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.HEL LGW - PLS COMPLETE TICKETLESS OR ISSUE ETKT OR D8 WILL
7.HEL LGW - CANCEL. ETKT ONLY AVAIL TO 1A 1S AND 1G AGENTS IN
8.HEL LGW - CERTAIN MARKETS. SEE D8 INFO PAGES IN YOUR GDS.
9.HEL LGW - DY ACTING AS GSA ... TKT TO BE ON 328 STOCK.
10.HEL LGW - CO2/PAX* 153.12 KG ECO, 153.12 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
73H Y 186
OTOH some flights ex HEL like todays service to CPH are operated with Getjet B733. An example:

Code:
DOD8264
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            D8 264    0 TH 04JUL19   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)    
HEL  LEFT THE GATE                              1515            
     TOOK OFF                                   1528            
     PLANE IS LATE (IN HOURS MINUTES)           0025            
     AIRCRAFT ROTATION                                          
     PLANE IS LATE (IN HOURS MINUTES)           0020            
     LATE CREW BOARDING OR DEPARTURE PROCEDURES                 
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  1548     CPH    

*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              D8 264    0 TH 04JUL19    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL  
HEL          1430  TH DCESAKYRBUW/G       733         1:40      
                      ZMLVTHPXQG/G                              
CPH 1510  TH                                                1:40

COMMENTS-
 1.HEL CPH   - AIRCRAFT OWNER NORWEGIAN AIR INTERNATIONAL LTD   
 2.HEL CPH   - COCKPIT CREW NORWEGIAN AIR INTERNATIONAL LTD     
 3.HEL CPH   - CABIN CREW NORWEGIAN AIR INTERNATIONAL LTD       
 4.HEL CPH   - OPERATED BY GETJET                               
 5.HEL CPH   - DEPARTS TERMINAL 2                                               
 6.HEL CPH   - ARRIVES TERMINAL 3                                               
 7.HEL CPH   -   9/ NON-SMOKING                                                 
 8.HEL CPH   -  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                                    
 9.HEL CPH   - PLS COMPLETE TICKETLESS OR ISSUE ETKT OR D8 WILL                 
10.HEL CPH   - CANCEL. ETKT ONLY AVAIL TO 1A 1S AND 1G AGENTS IN                
11.HEL CPH   - CERTAIN MARKETS. SEE D8 INFO PAGES IN YOUR GDS.                  
12.HEL CPH   - DY ACTING AS GSA ... TKT TO BE ON 328 STOCK.                     
13.HEL CPH   -  CO2/PAX* 104.84 KG ECO, 104.84 KG PRE                           
 (*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR                                    

CONFIGURATION-                                                                  
               733  Y 148
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
This has happened to many of us over the past year or so. Norwegian has tons of new Boeing planes, many of which are either grounded or on rotation for maintenance based on FAA or EASA requirements. If intra Europe, then likely a 737 MAX that is grounded (they have a like 20 of those I believe). If Europe to US, then likely a 787 that has Rolls Royce engines that have been grounded for mandatory repairs since last year.

Norwegian "wet leases" (full planes, crew, fuel, etc) from various charter airlines to accommodate flights that are borked because of these Boeing airplane woes. Last summer, we ended up on a wet lease plane from Rome to Newark, and it was totally fine. It was a plane, with seats, that flew. Completely fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.