Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Fraudulent Blu Express middle name scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Recently flew Santorini to Rome with Blu Express (low budget version of Blue Panorama). Has anyone flown with them before and been a victim of their middle name scam?

Basically I booked my flight with them a few months ago when they operated their old outdated website. The website asked me for my first name and last name (there was no field to input my middle name so I left it out). But when I got to the airport the check-in lady insisted I had to go pay a 50 euro name change fee because my middle name was not on the booking. I tried to explain to her that their website never asked for a middle name but it fell on deaf ears as the airline has no representation at the airport and she didn't work for the airline.

So I had to go to the Swissport desk and pay the 50 euro name change fee. I checked their website and noticed that they have now launched a new modern website which does now ask for the passengers middle name. She told me it was launched on the 8th of April, just 4 days after I made my booking using their old website.

She said though the airline is aware of this, they (Swissport) are still instructed by the airline to still deny boarding unless the passengers pay the 50 euro fee (there was a queue of 20 other passengers in the same situation as me). She said they have been doing this for over 2 years. I had a quick google for the airlines name plus the word fraud/scam which confirms this as you can find loads of various facebook/twitter groups and petitions with thousands of other passengers that have fallen for this scam.

We were told to try to contact the airline in FCO to reclaim the fee, but arrive into Rome they had no representation at this airport either... I've emailed them to raise the issue and they just copied and pasted a standard reply referring to their condition of carriage which states middle name has to be on the booking. But they failed to answer my follow up question about where in the booking process I am supposed to supply the middle name if there is no field for it. I can't telepathically tell them my middle name and even if I called them up 10 seconds after making the booking they would probably still charge me a 50 euro name change fee to add my middle name onto the booking.

I've contacted the Italian Civil Aviation Authority (ENAC) about it as well as the ECC (European Consumer Centre), although I am still waiting to hear back from both.
may also contact my credit card provider for a reverse charge because even though I paid the 50 euros, they just charged my card and gave me a receipt to say I had paid 50 euros. They never actually changed the name on my booking and when they printed out my boarding card it still did not have my middle name on it. So I might try to argue that they charged me for a service they never provided.

I dont really care about the 50 euros to be honest. Its mostly a matter of principal and because I was shocked at how many other passengers were held hostage too at the airport. The Swissport lady says this happens for all their flights every week, so they must be scamming thousands of passengers per year.

In one way i was lucky. A American couple in the queue with me had booked via Priceline. They had supplied their middle names to Prlceline but Priceline had not passed it on to the airline. Even though they could show their Priceline booking had the their middle name the airline wouldn't budge. And I think because they had booked it after the new website was launched (even though they used priceline and not the airlines website) they were forced to pay 399 euros each. I suspect the airline just cancelled their original ticket and resold it back to them at full price.

Anyone else come across this disgraceful airline before? Has anyone else fallen for their tricks and had any luck at claiming their money back (or more importantly reported them to the appropriate authorities?).
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Fredde87
Hey guys,

Recently flew Santorini to Rome with Blu Express (low budget version of Blue Panorama). Has anyone flown with them before and been a victim of their middle name scam?

Basically I booked my flight with them a few months ago when they operated their old outdated website. The website asked me for my first name and last name (there was no field to input my middle name so I left it out). But when I got to the airport the check-in lady insisted I had to go pay a 50 euro name change fee because my middle name was not on the booking. I tried to explain to her that their website never asked for a middle name but it fell on deaf ears as the airline has no representation at the airport and she didn't work for the airline.

So I had to go to the Swissport desk and pay the 50 euro name change fee. I checked their website and noticed that they have now launched a new modern website which does now ask for the passengers middle name. She told me it was launched on the 8th of April, just 4 days after I made my booking using their old website.

She said though the airline is aware of this, they (Swissport) are still instructed by the airline to still deny boarding unless the passengers pay the 50 euro fee (there was a queue of 20 other passengers in the same situation as me). She said they have been doing this for over 2 years. I had a quick google for the airlines name plus the word fraud/scam which confirms this as you can find loads of various facebook/twitter groups and petitions with thousands of other passengers that have fallen for this scam.

We were told to try to contact the airline in FCO to reclaim the fee, but arrive into Rome they had no representation at this airport either... I've emailed them to raise the issue and they just copied and pasted a standard reply referring to their condition of carriage which states middle name has to be on the booking. But they failed to answer my follow up question about where in the booking process I am supposed to supply the middle name if there is no field for it. I can't telepathically tell them my middle name and even if I called them up 10 seconds after making the booking they would probably still charge me a 50 euro name change fee to add my middle name onto the booking.

I've contacted the Italian Civil Aviation Authority (ENAC) about it as well as the ECC (European Consumer Centre), although I am still waiting to hear back from both.
may also contact my credit card provider for a reverse charge because even though I paid the 50 euros, they just charged my card and gave me a receipt to say I had paid 50 euros. They never actually changed the name on my booking and when they printed out my boarding card it still did not have my middle name on it. So I might try to argue that they charged me for a service they never provided.

I dont really care about the 50 euros to be honest. Its mostly a matter of principal and because I was shocked at how many other passengers were held hostage too at the airport. The Swissport lady says this happens for all their flights every week, so they must be scamming thousands of passengers per year.

In one way i was lucky. A American couple in the queue with me had booked via Priceline. They had supplied their middle names to Prlceline but Priceline had not passed it on to the airline. Even though they could show their Priceline booking had the their middle name the airline wouldn't budge. And I think because they had booked it after the new website was launched (even though they used priceline and not the airlines website) they were forced to pay 399 euros each. I suspect the airline just cancelled their original ticket and resold it back to them at full price.

Anyone else come across this disgraceful airline before? Has anyone else fallen for their tricks and had any luck at claiming their money back (or more importantly reported them to the appropriate authorities?).
Dispute the charge with your credit card, and let them handle it. You don't have to provide your middle name, even on your passport. I don't even have a middle name.
nancypants, farci and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Hey guys,

Just make sure your name on the ticket matches the name on your passport.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the Other European Airlines Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Italy Moderator
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Perche
Dispute the charge with your credit card, and let them handle it. You don't have to provide your middle name, even on your passport. I don't even have a middle name.
Just guessing here, but middle name on passport probably depends on the issuing authority, so your experience might differ from others.

At least in my home country the passport will include all names, whether you want it to or not.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I wouldn't get hung up on your middle name not appearing on the actual BP. Mine certainly dosen't and in fact my first name gets cut-off as well so even I would fail a strict 'full name must be on the boarding pass' test.

Yes I would try a chargeback with your CC.

Which country are you based in as you could try their airline regulator as well as the Italian one? I'd also try the Greek regulator as well since that is where your flight was from.

Does one of your national newspapers have a consumer or travel writer? if so contact them. They may not intervene on your behalf but they could write something on airlines acting in bad faith in this way. They hate being embarrassed in this way.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
It is quite frequent to find posts on FT blaming airlines for all sorts of problems and accusing them unfairly of bad service. However, in this case the description 'scammers' looks entirely justified. I cannot think of another airline that cares about the middle name. Indeed on Turkish which I use a lot, adding the middle name can cause problems crediting miles so I never do and fly with no problems. Credit card charge back must be the right way to go here. I wonder if someone refused to pay, whether they could claim for IDB and EU261 compensation? Or maybe the EUR50 charge will magically disappear if you ask about your rights under EU261.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:02 pm

https://blueswandaily.com/italian-an...rama-airlines/

https://en.agcm.it/en/media/press-re...e-million-euro
malmostoso and polinka like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I wonder how many Spanish, Portuguese and Brazilan customers they have...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
I wonder how many Spanish, Portuguese and Brazilan customers they have...
Let's not forget the Dutch...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Had a few busy days.

Originally Posted by Perche
Just make sure your name on the ticket matches the name on your passport.
Of course, but the point of my complaint is that the booking form only asks for First and Surname. So I wouldn’t expect most people to think “hey, lets append my middle name to my first name to be on the safe side”.

Had the form asked for a middle name, or made it clear (as it does on the airlines new website) that you are supposed to enter your first + middle name, then I would have done so.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I wouldn't get hung up on your middle name not appearing on the actual BP. Mine certainly dosen't and in fact my first name gets cut-off as well so even I would fail a strict 'full name must be on the boarding pass' test.

Yes I would try a chargeback with your CC.

Which country are you based in as you could try their airline regulator as well as the Italian one? I'd also try the Greek regulator as well since that is where your flight was from.

Does one of your national newspapers have a consumer or travel writer? if so contact them. They may not intervene on your behalf but they could write something on airlines acting in bad faith in this way. They hate being embarrassed in this way.
Originally Posted by DaveS
It is quite frequent to find posts on FT blaming airlines for all sorts of problems and accusing them unfairly of bad service. However, in this case the description 'scammers' looks entirely justified. I cannot think of another airline that cares about the middle name. Indeed on Turkish which I use a lot, adding the middle name can cause problems crediting miles so I never do and fly with no problems. Credit card charge back must be the right way to go here. I wonder if someone refused to pay, whether they could claim for IDB and EU261 compensation? Or maybe the EUR50 charge will magically disappear if you ask about your rights under EU261.
Thanks, I filed a claim with Amex so I will see what they come back with.

I did think exactly like you, if I wasn't on holiday with the girlfriend I would have just refused to pay and claim EU261 compensation for denied boarding.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
..../italian-antitrust-authority-imposes-eur1m-fine-against-blue-panorama-airlines/

....en/media/press-releases/2019/5/Blue-Panorama-Airlines-fined-one-million-euro
Wow, that is great news! That has made my day! I am so happy that the authorities have already taken action! Ironically they were fined 9 days before my flight and they still continue with their practises! I will certainly forward these articles to the airline, the ECC and ENAC.
farci, GK8 and polinka like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:31 pm

Middle Name

Just had the same today. They then gave me a ticket without my middle name! I am seething with anger sitting on my flight (delayed!). Any feedback on how to deal with this? Interestingly, they pretended the card machine was working and made us pay cash. No choice in the circumstances.

Thanks,

Freddie
duvin likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Angry Fox
Just had the same today. They then gave me a ticket without my middle name! I am seething with anger sitting on my flight (delayed!). Any feedback on how to deal with this? Interestingly, they pretended the card machine was working and made us pay cash. No choice in the circumstances.

Thanks,

Freddie
Sorry mate, if you paid by cash you’ll be out of luck. I got the same thing, charge for a name change and then they never even change the name on the ticket.

So I was able to reverse the charge on my Amex. Told Amex I had been charged for a service I never received.

You can email the airline but I’ve heard no one who has been successful in getting them to refund it.

I can give you the contact details for the various authorities you can complain to. Won’t get your money back but hopefully add pressure for them to act to one day shutdown this mafia run airline
Internaut and MoodyB like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:45 am

Sorry mate, if you paid by cash you’ll be out of luck. I got the same thing, charge for a name change and then they never even change the name on the ticket.

So I was able to reverse the charge on my Amex. Told Amex I had been charged for a service I never received.

You can email the airline but I’ve heard no one who has been successful in getting them to refund it.

I can give you the contact details for the various authorities you can complain to. Won’t get your money back but hopefully add pressure for them to act to one day shutdown this mafia run airline
Oh dear. What a nightmare! Details for the authorities would be greatly appreciated..

Many thanks,

Freddie
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Angry Fox

Thanks,

Freddie
They don't use the card machine because they must be getting lots of charge backs. It won't get you your money back, but post your story on as many sites as possible (Tripadvisor?). It might make you feel a bit better and save others from these scammers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.