FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other European Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines-469/)
-   -   Norwegian Bid Upgrade Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines/1975116-norwegian-bid-upgrade-question.html)

te1 Aug 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Norwegian upgrade bidding

Does anyone have experience with bidding for upgrades to premium economy on Norwegian longhaul?

Will be traveling OAK-ARN-OAK next month and looking for info on successful and unsuccessful bids, and any strategy you might have to share.

Thanks!

prgboy Sep 3, 2017 2:49 am

Hi:
We (2 pax) got an upgrade offer on our flight CPH-JFK in June. I entered slightly more than minimum which was I think $50 and three days into the flight, we received a notice of upgrade. This was, though, the very first time out of 6 intercontinental flights with Norwegian that we received any offer. So it depends on how full the Premium class is.

Oh, once the flight attendant also offered upgrade via announcement on board.

te1 Sep 6, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks prgboy!

ermd2014 Dec 2, 2017 8:32 am

Anyone with experience bidding before the airline emails an invitation? I see it as an option on my flight details page and about half the premium seats are still open ~3 weeks before our flight. Wondering if their calculations might favor accepting a lower bid earlier or later, based on supply/demand, or if it's not even that nuanced!

prgboy Dec 3, 2017 1:46 am

I also noticed that possibility... it appears in the reservation after the itinerary is firmly booked (I guess after 24 hour grace period). I and tried to place my bid for my January 15th flight. I'll let you know then. We already have a good seat in economy, so if they upgrade us, they will make 4 people happy!

J S Dec 4, 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by prgboy (Post 28770383)
Hi:
We (2 pax) got an upgrade offer on our flight CPH-JFK in June. I entered slightly more than minimum which was I think $50 and three days into the flight, we received a notice of upgrade.

$50 to upgrade a 3,856 mile flight is a FANTASTIC deal. DY's premium seat (but not other elements) is about where business class was 15-20 years ago and far ahead of premium economy on most (all?) airlines today. In fact, I think that the seat is almost identical to the AA business class seat before they went to angle-flat seats.

Erik L Dec 4, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm curious what others are seeing as minimum bids. I have a trip to Oslo from JFK in February. The bid is starting out at 1480 kroner each way (around $180). I purchased the tickets in NOK, so that is why it isn't pricing out in dollars. But are others seeing the same minimums? Do you think this will move down as the date gets closer? I've flown Norwegian Premium many times for business, and certainly enjoy the price/value ratio.

Recondite Dec 5, 2017 2:18 am

Originally Posted by prgboy (Post 28770383)
Hi:
We (2 pax) got an upgrade offer on our flight CPH-JFK in June. I entered slightly more than minimum which was I think $50 and three days into the flight, we received a notice of upgrade. This was, though, the very first time out of 6 intercontinental flights with Norwegian that we received any offer. So it depends on how full the Premium class is.

Oh, once the flight attendant also offered upgrade via announcement on board.

Three days into the flight? Where on earth were you flying?!

(Great deal, by the way!)

prgboy Dec 5, 2017 7:51 am

Hmmm... Yes, three days on the way is a bit too much :cool:

-- Now I see that I wrote $50 in my original post, but I meant $150 as the minimum bid. Sorry for the excitement.
I am looking now for my options for CPH-JFK flight in January and see possible bidding in the range of $175-800.
For buying into the Premium, I would be charged $487.40 on one reservation and $425 on my friend's reservation (which I bought a bit later and for $20 more).

wesport Feb 1, 2018 2:41 pm

Question about Norwegian bid for upgrade

I recently booked a flight from Copenhagen to Fort Lauderdale for $450. Premium economy is $899. Since I booked, the fare has gone to $384. That's ok, because I booked two exit row seats. If I bid for premium economy, would two people be separated if the bid is accepted? Also what would be a reasonable bid? Its almost a 10 hour flight.

rsachek Feb 19, 2018 1:06 pm

There will be a mandatory minimum bid amount, probably $175-180 each. You can bid as much as you want beyond that amount, depending on how badly you want the upgrade. If you do win the upgrade, you will be able to select your seats from whatever stock is remaining, which may or may not have two together.

Erik L Feb 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Bid history

I recently bid and won on the JFK - OSL flight. I bid slightly over the minimum, which worked out to around $175 USD. Talked to a couple others in line who also bid at or near the minimum and won.

If possible, start a test booking in Premium a week in advance to look at the seat map and see how many free seats are in Premium. That may give you an idea about bidding high or low.

iczs Feb 28, 2018 8:33 am

Just won a premium upgrade bid SIN-LGW for my flight on Friday 2/3/18
Full cabin in Economy so should be worth the money
min bid US$175, I bid US$190 - I'm sure many others bid at the minimum

gfunkdave May 14, 2018 10:43 am

I am flying on Norwegian BOS-CDG in a few weeks and thought I'd chime in here too. I can buy an upgrade outright for NOK 3380 (about $420). I can bid anywhere from 1800-6300 NOK. I have bid about 2200 NOK (~$275). Wonder if I'll get the upgrade...

LifetimeUpgrade Jun 22, 2018 2:17 am

Has anyone had experience with bidding shortly after booking? Does the bid get confirmed or rejected automatically? And if rejected, is there an opportunity to bid higher at a later date? I am booked for a flight in August and I have the option to bid now, but wondering if it makes sense to wait