Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Condor / Thomas Cook - Schengen Denied Entry in FRA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor / Thomas Cook - Schengen Denied Entry in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by robnbrwn
And the Germans, being German, are enforcing this rule at FRA, one of the largest transition hubs in the world.
Germany enforces the same rules as all other Schengen member states.

FRA's role as a transfer hub here is irrelevant; the common Schengen rules apply to all passengers entering the Schengen area, regardless of how or where they enter, and regardless of how many other passengers transferring on purely international itineraries there may be at any given airport.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, I meant August 2020, which is when my UK passport expires. Does that mean I can't cross any borders in the last 6 months of its validity? Because if we renew it early, the remaining days, weeks or months will not be added to the new passport. It's already expensive enough to renew a passport and I don't want to give those thieves any more money than they deserve. We've wandered a bit away from the real purpose of this thread, and while it may be the traveller's responsibility to make sure his documents are in order it's pretty hard to keep abreast of the minefield of changes and peculiarities with this sort of thing.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It just depends on the country where you visit

For example for USA there is no extra time needed as long as it covers your visit. Ditto for Canada and Japan. For South Africa it's 30 days validity after your departure (though some immigration officers say it's 6 months!). India it's 180 days.

So no wonder people are confused and add to that the possible need for ETAs or can you get a visa on arrival and do you need a 'letter of invitation' ...

This is probably as good an initial guide as any

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

plus of course TIMATIC which has already been referred to.

So with my current passport I can use it for the US until March 2021 but for Europe I'd need a new one for any trips after next February (assuming no deal provisions apply, if we leave with a deal I have no idea!)
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You continue to completely misunderstand the issue.

If you really do have two decades of experience in this topic, you then know that TIMATIC serves the purpose of permitting front line staff for carriers to conduct what would otherwise be complex legal analyses. That is why the carriers fund IATA to produce and maintain TIMATIC and did so even back when it was a paper tomb with occasional updates inserted. It has been this way for close to 50 years (much nicer now with free online access and a user-friendly interface).

The obligation to check documents is placed on the operating carrier as part of the agreement for landing rights. The failure to do so may result in fines and other consequences, but that is not the passenger's issue nor does it ever relieve the passenger of the independent obligation to produce the proper documents.
Often1: I believe I completely understand the issue!

I really do have over two decades' airline experience of dealing with immigration authorities. In fact, I also started using the old TIM manual back in the early 70s, when it was a 300 page A5 book with a pale blue cover, printed in Amsterdam and updated every month, when countries like the USA merited over a dozen pages of closely typed text all on their own. I clearly remember the relief felt when a hybrid TIMATIC was first introduced a decade or two later, even though it needed complicated long and precise codes to be entered into the check-in systems before you got your answer. Fortunately these days it is more integrated into the back end of standard DCS transactions, but it still doesn't guarantee to pick up every nuance of potential "transgression".

But I don't agree that fines and other consequences are not the passenger's issue - technically, airlines (and I would imagine pretty much every major one) write into their Conditions of Carriage that passengers are indeed liable for any costs derived from their failure to hold correct documentation. Whether or not airlines actually pursue the repayment of said costs is subject to their own willingness or lack of processes to do so. I have never heard of traffic right contract negotiations being conditional on an obligation on the airline to perform 100% document checks. Obviously airlines want to avoid tricky and embarrassing situations (the withdrawal of landing rights has been known to be used by some countries as a threat in extreme cases of non-compliance), so will do their best to perform basic checks, but they are only doing so as a safety net for their own protection and benefit, and not because of any legal obligation.

I think we must therefore agree to disagree!
B747-437B, GUWonder and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by redrob
I have never heard of traffic right contract negotiations being conditional on an obligation on the airline to perform 100% document checks
In fact, the exact opposite is the case. Document checks on behalf of the receiving government are considered extraterritorial acts and they can only take place when bilaterally agreed between the countries (eg. pre-clearance). This is why consular messages to airlines to deny passengers are merely "advisory" in nature.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by B747-437B
In fact, the exact opposite is the case. Document checks on behalf of the receiving government are considered extraterritorial acts and they can only take place when bilaterally agreed between the countries (eg. pre-clearance). This is why consular messages to airlines to deny passengers are merely "advisory" in nature.
Advisory with teeth at times, even as the bite may come after ignoring the advisory.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Indeed. It’s the not knowing about it that is the biggest problem.
Indeed. One would think if airlines are checking pax entry requirements using this third party system, airlines would advertise this to pax as they book or on their website so people can self check entry requirements well before arriving and possibly being denied passage.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davidj1
Indeed. One would think if airlines are checking pax entry requirements using this third party system, airlines would advertise this to pax as they book or on their website so people can self check entry requirements well before arriving and possibly being denied passage.
I'll wager that the reason they don't do that is to avoid the blame situation. "Well, I checked TIMATIC, which you told me was perfect, and the answer I got was..."
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by davidj1
Much easier for the airlines to push all responsibility (and costs) for immigration compliance on to the passenger via the Conditions of Carriage which the passenger accepts when they buy a ticket!
LondonElite likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Much easier for the airlines to push all responsibility (and costs) for immigration compliance on to the passenger via the Conditions of Carriage which the passenger accepts when they buy a ticket!
Precisely!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Just as border authorities have pushed the responsibility off onto carriers.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by Often1
Just as border authorities have pushed the responsibility off onto carriers.
Wow much more complex than anticipated. All agree for this precise reason there is what appears to be an unresolvable flaw.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Travelers are ultimately responsible for making sure that their travel documents fulfill applicable and published rules and regulations.
Nothing "unresolvable" about that.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jpschoubert
Wow much more complex than anticipated. All agree for this precise reason there is what appears to be an unresolvable flaw.
Nothing Unresolveable.
Nothing flawed.

The contract to which pretty much every traveler agrees makes him solely responsible for having in hand the proper documents required for his destination and any transit or transfer points along the way.
nancypants and GFrye like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Most of the passengers travelling each day manage nicely to take care that their documents are in order... if it was such a serious problem disrupting daily operations airlines would have adopted a different system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.