Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP contract lounges: recent changes and Star Gold access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat

Refused entry to airport lounge in FAO yesterday despite access being a published benefit of Star Alliance Gold. Lounge angel said that as of this week TP has cancelled the use of the lounge and will not pay it. Luckily, Priority Pass still accepted. Seems to also apply to business class travelers at FAO. How far will this once charming and now just cheap and crappy airline descend?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're not missing much. Lounge is crap but yes its a cheap move. They are a high fares low service airline.

Fly Lufthansa, avoid the often canx shuttle flight. They have a good record of paying for lounges vs TAP or BArb.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:09 pm

Lufthansa has a lounge at FAO? And what if somebody does not want to fly to/through FRA or MUC?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:10 am

I believe the PP lounge is the only lounge at FAO.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
It’s just the one lounge at FAO, yes, but it was better than nothing. TAP fares have increased significantly recently whilst their service now just feels cheap. The once charming crews seem to be grumpy too. I always preferred the TAP crews to Lufthansa but now they’re both just as bad. At least Lufthansa is more likely to be on time whereas I have not been on time on a TAP flight in about 2 years.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the lounge operated by TAP? If not, it's just a contract lounge and apparently TAP no longer provides access for at least some categories of its passengers who previously had access.
Antonio8069 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the lounge operated by TAP? If not, it's just a contract lounge and apparently TAP no longer provides access for at least some categories of its passengers who previously had access.
It’s a contract lounge, yes. But LH, BA, SK all contract to it for premium and status passengers. TP no longer does, which is crappy for a Portuguese airline at a Portuguese airport.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:31 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

SK
Nice try but SK does not offer access to non-*A lounges to Plus passengers, own elites, *A elites.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TPJ
Nice try but SK does not offer access to non-*A lounges to Plus passengers, own elites, *A elites.
It used to offer some contract lounge access to economy class passengers with *G status, but SK has gone cheap too with contract lounges.

I also remember when DL pulled SkyTeam ElitePlus lounge access at ARN even as DL Elite+ flying all other SkyTeam carriers (other than DL) had contract lounge access at ARN for economy class-flying SkyTeam ElitePlus passengers. It led to the sort of absurdity whereby a DL Platinum flying AF or even OK in economy class could get lounge access at ARN, but a DL Platinum flying DL in economy class couldn't get lounge access at ARN.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:51 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold

It’s a contract lounge, yes. But LH, BA, SK all contract to it for premium and status passengers. TP no longer does, which is crappy for a Portuguese airline at a Portuguese airport.
Unfortunately, and contrary to what you imply, this actually seems to be the rule in alliances: most airlines do not offer free access to contract lounges to elite pax of other alliance airlines. Even if it may be characterised as a race to the bottom, TP is following the rule of full service airlines.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by tff
Unfortunately, and contrary to what you imply, this actually seems to be the rule in alliances: most airlines do not offer free access to contract lounges to elite pax of other alliance airlines.
Sorry that is not true. Contract lounge accesss for alliance elites travelling economy is pretty common.
hugolover and the810 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tff
Unfortunately, and contrary to what you imply, this actually seems to be the rule in alliances: most airlines do not offer free access to contract lounges to elite pax of other alliance airlines. Even if it may be characterised as a race to the bottom, TP is following the rule of full service airlines.
As a SkyTeam ElitePlus, I've had various SkyTeam carriers provide me with contract lounge access even when flying them in economy class and being an OAL SkyTeam ElitePlus.

As a Star Gold, I've had various Star Alliance carriers provide me with contract lounge access even when flying them in economy class and being an OAL Star Gold.

As a Oneworld Sapphire/Emerald, I've had various Oneworld carriers provide me with contract lounge access even when flying them in economy class and being an OAL Sapphire/Emerald.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:10 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sorry that is not true. Contract lounge accesss for alliance elites travelling economy is pretty common.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As a SkyTeam ElitePlus, I've had various SkyTeam carriers provide me with contract lounge access even when flying them in economy class and being an OAL SkyTeam ElitePlus.

As a Star Gold, I've had various Star Alliance carriers provide me with contract lounge access even when flying them in economy class and being an OAL Star Gold.

As a Oneworld Sapphire/Emerald, I've had various Oneworld carriers provide me with contract lounge access even when flying them in economy class and being an OAL Sapphire/Emerald.
Originally Posted by tff
That was my experience with Star and SkyTeam, but I stand corrected. In any case, as mentioned, it is indeed quite unfortunate when it happens.

That was my experience with Star and SkyTeam, but I stand corrected. In any case, as mentioned, it is indeed quite unfortunate when it happens.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

If an airline provides lounge access at an airport it should not matter to the passenger whether this is directly owned or contracted out. What is the point of an airline alliance if benefits are not recipricated? And before you all scream about what is a published benefit and what is not, I know, but just find it tiresome to have to figure out the specifics of the airline/alliance/airport/status in order to know what my benefits are.

My point was, and is, that TP now feels cheap.
sydunipete likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My point was, and is, that TP now feels cheap.
https://onemileatatime.com/cheap-tap...s-class-fares/

$675+ TAP Business Class Fares From Europe To The US (One-Way)
Seems pretty cheap to me. Picked one up today. The miles I'll earn on a DUB-LIS-SFO routing are easily worth $150-175 to me in future flights by themselves. It would seem you're not exactly dealing with an airline that's going to be driving you to your plane in a Porsche from a special terminal dedicated to premium class passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.