Eurowings EU261 Claim

Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Eurowings EU261 Claim

EW flight From EU (CGN) to U.S. canceled last October. Rebooked all passengers on LH out of Frankfurt, gave hotel, food, taxi, train voucher (yes, it was an ordeal, mercifully no steamship voucher). Got home, sent email for EU261 claim to EW. They replied, acknowledged cancelation and my claim, told me in writing they would pay Euro 600.00. Sent requested bank account information. Six months later, nothing. Back in November or so, EW pulled the plug on their US customer service telephone and shut down their NYC area office.

I have emailed, used their website question page to ask for status, and called their reservation number (where the agent was able to look up the claim status) them asking for status and the replies range from ''its in process' to an email reply stating that the their email address is no good, to a reply that they need my bank information, to nothing. This is called stonewalling for sure.

Question: I'll be back in Germany and wonder if stopping by their Duesseldorf or Cologne offices or at the airport can get a claim paid?

I have all the communication documented and will take it with me. Any advice, experience with EW? I know they are LH's b--=sturd child and have a terrible reputation.

Final option is to turn over the claim to a collection agency online and take a financial hit. But at least EW will be forced to pay under law, which they seem to scoff at.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Before forgoing EUR 150-200 to a claims agency, I would at least make an attempt to stop by the ticket office when you are back. The claim won't get paid on the spot, but sometimes you can find somebody both competent and helpful who might make a call.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Well that's what I was thinking. It's worth the try as I'll be there anyhow. Thank you for your reply.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Before forgoing EUR 150-200 to a claims agency, I would at least make an attempt to stop by the ticket office when you are back. The claim won't get paid on the spot, but sometimes you can find somebody both competent and helpful who might make a call.

Well that's what I was thinking. It's worth the try as I'll be there anyhow. Thank you for your reply.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
If that doesn’t work, copy the email they sent you agreeing to compensation and send it to them by registered mail along with a “letter before action”. Detail that you will force payment of the agreed amount in the “Amtsgericht” (German court) if pay,ent is not made within 30 days. This will focus their attention. And if they do not pay, contact a German lawyer who will do this on your behalf and also claim all costs from EW. Using a claim agency will cost you 25% after you have already got the airline to agree to compensation, a waste of money in my eyes and not necessary. EW have simply forgotten and are basically incompetent.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
If that doesn’t work, copy the email they sent you agreeing to compensation and send it to them by registered mail along with a “letter before action”. Detail that you will force payment of the agreed amount in the “Amtsgericht” (German court) if pay,ent is not made within 30 days. This will focus their attention. And if they do not pay, contact a German lawyer who will do this on your behalf and also claim all costs from EW. Using a claim agency will cost you 25% after you have already got the airline to agree to compensation, a waste of money in my eyes and not necessary. EW have simply forgotten and are basically incompetent.
Thank you for your advice. Of course it would be all well to avoid courts over 600 euro. I will indeed send a letter to them if my plan b fails. I think the tactic is simply to wear out folks, especially those who live outside Europe, hoping they forget. The other action I could take is to 'media shame' them and take the story to social media and to the German mainstream media. It's amazing though how 'in your face' brazen companies are nowadays with regards to even this. They simply do not care a wit for following the laws. However, owe them a penny and see how quickly come the letters from the collection agencies. So, yes, I will send a letter of action to them. And media shame them as well.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
There have been TV programmes in Germany about how bad airlines are at honouring their obligations. AB was heavily attacked this way but it really made no difference. Stick to your guns and don’t hesitate to engage a German lawyer if EW continue to ignore you. All costs can be claimed back from EW by court order too.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
There have been TV programmes in Germany about how bad airlines are at honouring their obligations. AB was heavily attacked this way but it really made no difference. Stick to your guns and don’t hesitate to engage a German lawyer if EW continue to ignore you. All costs can be claimed back from EW by court order too.
Thank you. Seems like the only recourse for many is to take legal action. Recouping legal costs would be the only way I would do that. It's a risk though.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The risk analysis is that if OP turns this over to a claims agency and he suceeds, he will forgo EUR 150-200 of the compensation. If he engages an attorney and wins, he will recover the full EUR 600 and the cost of the lawyer will likely be ordered, so a net zero. If, on the other hand, he engages a lawyer and loses, OP is out of pocket for the costs.

So, all a matter of risk tolerance.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Update. Ew claim resolved.

As the OP, only days after I posted the thread, a check from Lufthansa came in the mail for the full amount. Exactly 6 months from the date of EW's acknowledgement of the claim. I just wish that instead of doing the wire transfer route, that EW would have simply said they could send a check.

Glad this is resolved. Patience is obviously demanded with these things, but the fact that I didn't get clear or any replies from EW to my queries was frustrating. Ergo the assumption of stonewalling.

Hope this helps others going forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.