Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Volotea flight reschedule - help needed

Old Apr 15, 19, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A, FB Gold

Hi FTers,

Bought 4 tickets on one of Volotea's European routes a few weeks ago. A couple of weeks after, Volotea emails me that the flight was rescheduled, now arriving instead of the morning at 00:50. As this is a small airport (OVD), there's no public transportation option whatsoever after 23:30 or car rental companies open. The option is to get a taxi to one of the main cities, which would cost over 30 EUR, most likely 50-60 EUR. As we wanted to make this trip a budget weekend getaway, the rescheduling just adds unnecessary costs and hassle.

What would be our option in this case? Can we get Volotea to reimburse us the taxi costs? It seems wrong they would transport people to an empty airport in the middle of the night.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When I last flew to Asturias (on Vueling) it was a late arrival, and it cost me 30€ to get to Avilés.

If the airline changed your arrival time by more than 5 hours - or it was cancelled and you have been put on another service - under EC261 you can get a full refund. I would call the airline's customer care line to see what they can offer before looking at more formal approaches. It may be they can re-route you for example. Without specific details it's difficult to give specific advice however.
Old Apr 15, 19, 8:47 pm

I had a bunch of schedule changes with Volotea a couple years back, and they were willing to refund or rebook on a different Volotea flight. I definitely wouldn't count on getting reimbursed for taxi costs.
They cancelled one of my flights (1 month in advance), and I had train tickets booked based on that flight, which would go to waste without my Volotea flight. I pointed this out and ask for reimbursement of those costs, or a reroute on a different carrier - both offers were declined, even with multiple contacts to the customer service.
So I'd say you can either accept the change and pay the taxi, find a different Volotea route, or cancel the trip altogether. No way they'll pay 60 EUR for taxi.
Old Apr 16, 19, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A, FB Gold
@corporate-wage-slaveThank you for the answers, but I'm not sure that will work. The flight change was a few months in advance so I don't think they owe use a rebooking - rather a refund, which is not what I want. I guess as @klanfa experienced, there not much they will do despite dropping us off in a closed airport.