Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian International flights - Any food or drink with base fare?

Norwegian International flights - Any food or drink with base fare?

Old Apr 25, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: delta
Question 10kg TOTAL weight

I got my carry on down to 22 lbs, but then saw that my Low Fair type allows only 10kg TOTAL weight, or 7kg for carry on and 3kg for personal item. Wondering if we need to buy a checked bag (really rather not) and fill that up with things from the 2nd carry on. Haven't weighed the back packs yet but they're probably over 3kg. Hubby thinks he'll just start putting clothes on as layers if they say it's overweight and then take them off on the plane. I bought on kiwi so didn't know about the different fare levels or I might have paid if I realized how light it has to be. Hard to believe their restrictions are higher than Ryanair and other cheap inter-European airlines.

Can anyone confirm that the backpack will be weighed as well and both need to be under 10kg total weight?
Old Apr 26, 19, 1:16 am

Programs: UA, AA
From a guy's perspective, 10kg is more than enough for a week or even two if you're traveling as a tourist and don't mind doing laundry. I'll wash socks/unders in the sink at night and hang to dry. Fast-dry stuff is just amazing! Or if my B&B/hotel offers laundry facilities I'll use that time to research my next outing and to get a little break.

I'm going for 6 days and will have packed 2 button-down shirts, 2 T-shirts, 1 pants, 3 socks/underwear, plus what I'm wearing onboard (which will include a fleece hoodie and rain jacket, plus my 3-1-1 toiletries kit (with minimal stuff--again, only 6 days). No extra shoes. I have a lightweight laptop and carry my phone on me. Only optional extras I'm bringing are my pipe and tobacco, and a windshield mount for my phone for use as a nav-aid. In a carryon duffle all that weighs in at 6.7 kg. I'll even have room and weight to bring back a nice Aran woolen sweater and a few other small things. If I have to, I can offload a few things in my vest or cargo pants on the way back.

My logic here is that as a tourist I will never see the same people twice (or more accurately, nobody will see me more than once), so if I reuse a shirt/pants combo who cares. I usually wear my shirts twice before laundering (slacks 3x) anyways so why go overboard on vacation. I wear cargo pants for extra carrying capability if needed, and a Scott-E-Vest hoodie that all my electronics fit in (including my laptop), and the vest with all that stuff goes through the airport X-rays. A vacuum space-saver bag keeps volume down in the bag allowing it to fit a bit more for the return. Now if you're going for business meetings or for a month with family, or are bringing a ton of hiking gear then yeah, check a bag and have some peace of mind.
Old Apr 26, 19, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Terri Stair View Post
Can anyone confirm that the backpack will be weighed as well and both need to be under 10kg total weight?
It could be. Don't risk it.
Old Apr 26, 19, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by NJRadioGuy View Post
From a guy's perspective, 10kg is more than enough for a week or even two if you're traveling as a tourist and don't mind doing laundry.
Not most guys I reckon.

Originally Posted by NJRadioGuy View Post
I'm going for 6 days and will have packed 2 button-down shirts, 2 T-shirts, 1 pants, 3 socks/underwear, plus what I'm wearing onboard (which will include a fleece hoodie and rain jacket, plus my 3-1-1 toiletries kit (with minimal stuff--again, only 6 days).
Destination climate can also have a big impact. Where I am just now I'm changing a couple of times a day just to stay comfortable.
iflyjetz likes this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Terri Stair View Post

Yes, it is for total bags and yes they often weigh. Fees for checking at the check in desk are huge too. I can do it on 10kg no problem, and I am a woman, but it does take some planning.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: