Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Eu261 Condor pushed back flight entire day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Supposed to fly BWI to fra tonight was told it's cancelled by Condor push back an entire day. What are my options for compensation I've already booked another airline flying tonight.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Lawyer up. Condor are notorious for not paying compensation, and they will fight tooth and nail to not pay for the ticket on another airline.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
Supposed to fly BWI to FRA tonight was told it's cancelled by Condor push back an entire day. What are my options for compensation I've already booked another airline flying tonight.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Lawyer up. Condor are notorious for not paying compensation, and they will fight tooth and nail to not pay for the ticket on another airline.
EC261 compensation is fixed. Duty of care applies. Nothing to do with "pay for the ticket on another airline."
When you told Condor you will not be on rescheduled flight, what did they say? Offer of a full refund? Just no showing the rescheduled flight would not be good.

Many threads on EC261 (EU261)
The BA thread is a little more measured & balanced than others
The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Another:-- EU 261 Compensation
farci and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 14, 2019 at 11:33 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Cancellation / Delay Compensation - Unless the underlying reason is an "extraordinary circumstance" you are due cash (equivalent) compensation of EUR 600. An extraordinary circumstance would generally be weather or air traffic while a mechanical would almost never be extraordinary. Why was your flight delayed/cancelled? That will be important to determine.

2. Rebooking - You have the right to rebooking now, at a later date, or a full refund to your original form of payment. At your option. Generally is smart, if the new departure is not to your liking, to do the research and propose the alternatives. If you have simply gone off and booked something else on your own, make certain that you cancel your Condor ticket before its new departure time and specify that you want a refund.

3. Duty of Care - While not likely significant in your situation, you would have been due a hotel & meal vouchers (or reimbursement) had you been delayed overnight. Perhaps there is a meal involved in your delay, but seems not significant.

You may, if it comes to it, turn your claim over to a claims agency. But, the bottom feeders work on a contingency of 25-33%, so you are giving up a great deal for little work. No need to do that just yet.
MDtR-Chicago and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's all well and good citing textbook EC261. Condor will require a lot more legal pressure than sending in some forms online and if the OP said "screw this I'm booking my own flights" without talking to Condor then it becomes exponentially more difficult to claim anything at all, even a refund...
irishguy28 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:37 am
Suspended

The refund is the easy part. Seven days -- just to pick a reasonable number -- after the request for the refund is made, simply file a chargeback dispute with your card issuer (bank), citing the EC 261/2004 provision. These things are pretty routine and it puts the shoe on the carrier's foot to demonstrate that no refund is due. More than likely, Condor does nothing and a temporary credit becomes final. Definitely no reason to pay contingent fees for that.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. I cancelled the Condor ticket can I get compensation

Condor said they would only fly me out the next day which was unacceptable. So I cancelled their ticket for a full refund (or so they tell me).

Am I due compensation? Condor kept said no but that doesnt to be in the 261 wording.

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Cancellation / Delay Compensation - Unless the underlying reason is an "extraordinary circumstance" you are due cash (equivalent) compensation of EUR 600. An extraordinary circumstance would generally be weather or air traffic while a mechanical would almost never be extraordinary. Why was your flight delayed/cancelled? That will be important to determine.

2. Rebooking - You have the right to rebooking now, at a later date, or a full refund to your original form of payment. At your option. Generally is smart, if the new departure is not to your liking, to do the research and propose the alternatives. If you have simply gone off and booked something else on your own, make certain that you cancel your Condor ticket before its new departure time and specify that you want a refund.

3. Duty of Care - While not likely significant in your situation, you would have been due a hotel & meal vouchers (or reimbursement) had you been delayed overnight. Perhaps there is a meal involved in your delay, but seems not significant.

You may, if it comes to it, turn your claim over to a claims agency. But, the bottom feeders work on a contingency of 25-33%, so you are giving up a great deal for little work. No need to do that just yet.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's all well and good citing textbook EC261. Condor will require a lot more legal pressure than sending in some forms online and if the OP said "screw this I'm booking my own flights" without talking to Condor then it becomes exponentially more difficult to claim anything at all, even a refund...
I had zero push back from Condor when I requested EC261 compensation for a downgrade (C->E+) last year.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I had zero push back from Condor when I requested EC261 compensation for a downgrade (C->E+) last year.
That's a pretty clear case though. It would have been more enlightening to see whether you could insist on waiting for a J seat and then claim compensation.

I met some people on a bus to the aircraft who had been involuntarily downgraded and were bluntly told to accept the downgrade (no 75% refund, but just the fare difference) or to stay at home. I suspect they would have won in court later, but obviously didn't want to ruin their holidays.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
In case of downgrade, you don't get compensation, but reimbursment of part fare.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended

Arguing with airport staff about the vagaries of EC 261/2004 is pointless (other than rebooking). No airport agent can definitively tell you what, if anything you are due,

The downgrade reimbursement is a bit different. One does not have any right to wait for the next flight with cabin availability, but carriers will allow it as it seems inherent in the COC. However, there is no duty of care during that time period nor is any delay occasioned by that choice compensable. If one is downgraded, one is due reimbursement of 75% of the base segment fare (for Type 3 flights) and that is it.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 16, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Can anyone comment on my situation?

Cancelled ticket (options given were not viable). Rebooked on another airline.

Am I due compensation?

Condor said they would only fly me out the next day which was unacceptable. So I cancelled their ticket for a full refund (or so they tell me).

Am I due compensation? Condor kept said no but that doesnt to be in the 261 wording.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:23 am

Cancelled ticket (options given were not viable). Rebooked on another airline.

Am I due compensation?
You haven't told us why was the flight cancelled.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Details here

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
You haven't told us why was the flight cancelled.
DE 2075 was supposed to fly BWI to FRA at 7:45pm on Saturday night. On Saturday the morning they sent me an email saying the flight was delayed until *Sunday* 3:00pm. My meeting was Sunday afternoon. I called up and asked what are the options for flying on Saturday night and was told there was none and the only option was to cancel the ticket.

So I flew Turkish Airlines to MUC on Saturday night instead and had to drive from MUC to Frankfurt.

So am I due compensation due to the 20 hour mechanical induced delay?
Can I claim other expences such as the cost of the car to drive from MUC to FRA?

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:07 am

DE 2075 was supposed to fly BWI to FRA at 7:45pm on Saturday night. On Saturday the morning they sent me an email saying the flight was delayed until *Sunday* 3:00pm. My meeting was Sunday afternoon. I called up and asked what are the options for flying on Saturday night and was told there was none and the only option was to cancel the ticket.

So I flew Turkish Airlines to MUC on Saturday night instead and had to drive from MUC to Frankfurt.

So am I due compensation due to the 20 hour mechanical induced delay?
Can I claim other expences such as the cost of the car to drive from MUC to FRA?

Thanks!
If the flight was not cancelled, but given a long delay, and you decided not to take it, it is questionable whether you have right to compensation. If the reason is mechanical, you might be, but it might be an uphill battle.

Since you decided to take your own route there, you can not claim any expenses, either the ticket on TK or the cost of car, only to reimburse the cost of original ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.