Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Condor Airlines - safe? Good experience? Anything I should know? Never heard of it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor Airlines - safe? Good experience? Anything I should know? Never heard of it

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to go round trip from Portland, Oregon to France for the Women's World Cup this summer. It seems my best option is $1400 where I can fly from PDX to Charles De Gaulle, and then fly out of Lyon back to PDX. The flights would go in and out of Frankfurt via Condor and Lufthansa. Having never heard of Condor, is there anything I should know? The fare seems to include taxes, meals, a checked bag and a carry-on, which is everything I need. Is there any catch? Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Condor is a leisure charter airline, so economy seating is brutally tight. Safety standards are high, together with their owners Thomas Cook they are one of the major players in the European leisure market.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Condor is fine, but pitch in economy is tight. You may want to check prices from SFO and SEA as there are plenty of options ±2 days around in the $800-$900 range (return).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:02 pm

Condor was founded (and owned) by Lufthansa in the 50s and was sold to Thomas Cook about 15 years ago.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Condor is a leisure charter airline, so economy seating is brutally tight. Safety standards are high, together with their owners Thomas Cook they are one of the major players in the European leisure market.
So are you saying if I am chubby, it's going to be a rough 10 hours? lol

On Delta, I have had experience showing up to the gate early and asking for a free upgrade to an aisle seat. Do you think Condor would do this? Or should I try to get my boss to pay for the upgrade? A middle seat on such a long flight would definitely suck.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Condor is fine, but pitch in economy is tight. You may want to check prices from SFO and SEA as there are plenty of options ±2 days around in the $800-$900 range (return).
If I have to go from PDX to SFO or SEA, I'm not sure I am saving myself any money or hassle though? I did check SEA specifically and at most I'd be saving maybe $100-$200, which doesn't really seem worth me having to travel to another city.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I fly them a lot (10 r/t per year) because 1) lots of miles-earning on Alaska 2) cheap business class (also not very good, but still ok) and 3) the only nonstop SJU-Europe.

F/As and pilots are fine. Ground process is ....-tier -- you have to call them on the phone and wait for many minutes/hour to change things. Unless you pay for flex, changes (even business class) are expensive.

I arrived 54 minutes before a business class SEA-FRA and my ticket was invalidated; I had to buy a new ticket on another airline.

If I weren't trying to requal for AS MVPG75K despite living outside the US, and if there were literally any other airline for SJU-Europe, I'd never fly Condor.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I fly them a lot (10 r/t per year) because 1) lots of miles-earning on Alaska 2) cheap business class (also not very good, but still ok) and 3) the only nonstop SJU-Europe.

F/As and pilots are fine. Ground process is ....-tier -- you have to call them on the phone and wait for many minutes/hour to change things. Unless you pay for flex, changes (even business class) are expensive.

I arrived 54 minutes before a business class SEA-FRA and my ticket was invalidated; I had to buy a new ticket on another airline.

If I weren't trying to requal for AS MVPG75K despite living outside the US, and if there were literally any other airline for SJU-Europe, I'd never fly Condor.
Regarding your invalidated ticket, I think that went perfectly ok. Checkin deadline is 60 minutes before departure and you should be at the gate 45 mins prior. If you bought a discount business ticket, it might very well have hefty no-show fee. You can expect to have the exact same treatment on the majority of european carriers.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by Palal
Condor offers also Premium Economy and Business Class. Maybe, you want to have a look. Details are on their webpage.
Phrastus likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lyon is only a short train ride from Paris, and you're paying a lot more for the return portion than the outbound part of the ticket. It might be much cheaper to simply buy a PDX-CDG RT rather than this open jaw ticket. Also, IIRC DL offers PDX-CDG and vv as a nonstop route, so I;d start by checking prices on the Delta website, although a connection through some USA city is likely to be cheaper. Also, be sure to look at the connection times; some legal connections aren't wise as the risk of missing a flight is just too high, even if the airline will rebook you for free onto its own next *available* flight.

Would you be buying the ticket directly from LH or from some OLTA? Don't assume that you will be able to reserve seats in advance or get an aisle seat, even if you're willing to pay extra.

Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Lyon is only a short train ride from Paris, and you're paying a lot more for the return portion than the outbound part of the ticket. It might be much cheaper to simply buy a PDX-CDG RT rather than this open jaw ticket. Also, IIRC DL offers PDX-CDG and vv as a nonstop route, so I;d start by checking prices on the Delta website, although a connection through some USA city is likely to be cheaper. Also, be sure to look at the connection times; some legal connections aren't wise as the risk of missing a flight is just too high, even if the airline will rebook you for free onto its own next *available* flight.

Would you be buying the ticket directly from LH or from some OLTA? Don't assume that you will be able to reserve seats in advance or get an aisle seat, even if you're willing to pay extra.
The train between Lyon and Charles De Gaulle is about two hours and flying out of CDG wasn't going to save me any money, so I decided to leave from Lyon, which is where my trip will end. The funny thing is, the idiot at my company who booked didn't book round trip, she did one way in each direction and it ended up costing $2000 anyway. I was very annoyed because for $2000, I would've just flown via Delta. But my boss said her mistake would affect my budget for the trip at all, so I guess I still get credit for the frugal flights. (She got fired shortly thereafter. She also booked the wrong flight and had to re-do it. She also booked my Eurail pass incorrectly too. LOL)

They do have options to choose seats, including aisle seats, via a seat map but it costs $60. Which brings me to a question I'm going to bump up in my next post...
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone who has flown Condor ever had success asking for an "upgrade" to an aisle seat?

I arrived early to the gate for a direct Delta flight to Amsterdam once and the lady at the ticket counter switched me to Comfort+ so I could get an aisle seat at no cost. Does Condor ever do anything like that? Right now, the seat map has tons of open seats, including aisles and windows. But $60 seems really steep to me, so I'd like to try my luck at the gate if possible.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
I have flown condor several times over the past few years and have never seen anyone get any opup's.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Condor flights are likely to be completely full, so if you want an aisle seat, it would be wise to pay now to reserve a nice one.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:43 am

I just booked a few of us on Condor this morning via premium economy. Does anyone have any thoughts on the food in that category? My kids are debating between the regular meal and the vegetarian meal. They still eat meat, but aren't big fans of airline meat as a general rule. I was only able to find one picture online though and in that picture the veg meal looked to be about 1/3 the size of the regular. My son is 6'3", so I want to make sure that he's getting enough to eat. I'm not sure if a few bites of zucchini will cut it since he doesn't eat tomatoes. (The picture was tomatoes/zucchini & a spinach pastry.) I'm just trying to get an idea if this is what we should expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.