Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair Max Situation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Icelandair Max Situation

I'm taking my family (child's first international trip) CLE-KEF-LGW and return the first week of June. Cleveland was a new location for Icelandair last year and was flown exclusively by the MAX 8. I know Icelandair has spare aircraft to cover for now but once seasonal destinations come up for summer (Cleveland begins mid May), what does the prognosis look like? I'm hoping the issues will be solved by then but just prodding for ideas if they are not. If they are not fixed by then, I see Cleveland as being cancelled until the MAXs' come back online. Would Icelandair simply refund us, or offer us flights through other carriers? Re-book from another city? Still a ways out but just looking for discussion on this matter. Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The short answer is that if you are ticketed and FI cancels your flight, it will have the obligation, at your option, to refund the tickets, to rebook, or to rebook at a later date.

While Iceland is not an EU Member State, it does abide by EC 261/2004 and this Regulation does apply to your tickets as they are on what amounts to an EU carrier between a point outside the EU and a point in the EU (LGW and KEF (for this purpose)).

I would, however, not be passive. Keep monitoring the situation and make sure that if your flights are cancelled that you are on the phone quickly as the reroutes get lousier with the passage of time. Having said that, you should also keep your eye on pricing for alternatives. While not likely closer in, there are fare anomalies. If your flight is cancelled and you find something cheaper or just about the same on another carrier (presuming that KEF is just a connection), take the refund from FI and purchase new tickets.
Diver Boy likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:54 am
Original Poster

I've been following near daily but know its too early to do much. It looks like Boeing will have an update by the end of this month. Don't know how long to implement it though. I will gladly take a re-book via another (close) city and/or carrier. Now if I need to purchase alternate flights or change dates, it may derail the whole thing. I paid only $350 rt. with 4 going. I'd just recoup as much of hotels as I could through card insurance.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you only paid $350 pp., leave it alone and work on a reroute if it becomes necessary.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:04 pm

I'd imagine that you would just be rebooked on another airline, should your flight be cancelled. FI currently uses AS and B6 as feeders in the US, so rerouting one of those is a good guess.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Some person
I'd imagine that you would just be rebooked on another airline, should your flight be cancelled. FI currently uses AS and B6 as feeders in the US, so rerouting one of those is a good guess.
B6 does do CLE-BOS so that could work, but would leave nearly 6 hours in BOS. Not ideal with a toddler but doable if need be.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Wait and See

The MAX situation is very fluid. I think the best thing you can do is simply wait and see - although it is difficult to do ! I would be confident that Icelandair does you well regardless.

The more you learn about the whole disturbing MAX story, the worse it looks for Boeing and the FAA.
4sallypat likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC E75K
In a similar situation but less far away: My mom is booked on FI 602/603 YYZ-KEF-YYZ departing Apr 21 and returning Apr 28. Both flights scheduled to be operated by the 7M8 and still showing as such when reviewing the itinerary on the Icelandair site. Called in and was told that they don't have any further information at this point.

My mom is flying to KEF to join me for a vacation (I'm flying from SFO on a different airline). What can I do to ensure we don't find out last minute her flight is cancelled? A full refund or rebooking at that point won't do us any good.

Thank you.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:41 am

I would guess that the most likely scenario is that Icelandair will change the plane on these flights from 737 MAX to 757 (or 767) if these newer planes are still grounded. According to the official statement so far they have only three 737 MAX planes in operation and the whole fleet size is 33. Thus I see no big fear that they would not operate the currently announced routes unless there is some other issues unrelated to these 737 MAX planes.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Hezu
I would guess that the most likely scenario is that Icelandair will change the plane on these flights from 737 MAX to 757 (or 767) if these newer planes are still grounded. According to the official statement so far they have only three 737 MAX planes in operation and the whole fleet size is 33. Thus I see no big fear that they would not operate the currently announced routes unless there is some other issues unrelated to these 737 MAX planes.
Got it. Thanks very much!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Hezu

I think this applies til the end of April. Icelandair is taking delivery of six (I think) new MAX aircraft during April and they clearly do not have slack in their fleet for the summer to deal with that with their existing 757s and 767s.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff

I think this applies til the end of April. Icelandair is taking delivery of six (I think) new MAX aircraft during April and they clearly do not have slack in their fleet for the summer to deal with that with their existing 757s and 767s.
Hmm... frustrating...

Any sage advice on what we should do?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hmm... frustrating...

Any sage advice on what we should do?
Same as in my post #7 above.

Icelandair is an incredibly resilient operation. They dealt with the Icelandic volcano a few years back better than most other airlines ! They are also in talks right now to take over WOW Air ..
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Icelandair has now axed Cleveland and Halifax for 2019. Guess I'm getting rebooked.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Braniff

Same as in my post #7 above.

Icelandair is an incredibly resilient operation. They dealt with the Icelandic volcano a few years back better than most other airlines ! They are also in talks right now to take over WOW Air ..
With the uncertainties surrounding WOW and Norwegian, FI is in much better shape and any booking with them is more secure than the aforementioned 2. In fact, the 2 flights I have booked over this summer (between Iceland and continental Europe) last month the fares have more than doubled, and it's just the basic fare without checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.