Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair Max Situation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:09 am
Original Poster

I wouldn't be too worried. November is the off-season and they are leasing aircraft this summer to cover schedule. I flew KEF-LGW and back in a Privilege Style 757 (EC-HDS, It's still doing that rotation). Old and Creaky (litterally, it shimmied all over during takeoff/landings) No IFE/WiFi. There was Icelandair cabin crew.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus
My flight is January 2020! I’m getting worried. Wish they would let us know if they’ll be swapping planes out. Can’t imagine January is busy season.

Last edited by kac2138; Aug 20, 2019 at 7:48 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by kac2138
My flight is January 2020! I’m getting worried. Wish they would let us know if they’ll be swapping planes out. Can’t imagine January is bush season.
mine in late Nov got switched out last week. Exact same flight details though.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
My flight is January 2020! I’m getting worried. Wish they would let us know if they’ll be swapping planes out. Can’t imagine January is busy season.
If it helps, my flight in late December had the MAX swapped out for a 757 recently
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Alaska, United, American, Singapore
I haven't been able to find this online but if Iceland air does an equipment swap, are you able to make changes with no change fee? Possibly fly out of a different airport due to this?? Thanks for the insight!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd
I haven't been able to find this online but if Iceland air does an equipment swap, are you able to make changes with no change fee? Possibly fly out of a different airport due to this?? Thanks for the insight!
Absolutely not?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd
I believe if they change the operator (to a wet lease) they are required to inform you and I believe in this case most airlines let you change (might even be a legal requirement). However, even if it were a change of operator, you wouldn't be able to change the port of origin. But if it's the same operator just a different type? Not a hope. They would lose billions as aircraft swaps happen multiple times daily.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
I wouldn't be too worried. November is the off-season and they are leasing aircraft this summer to cover schedule. I flew KEF-LGW and back in a Privilege Style 757 (EC-HDS, It's still doing that rotation). Old and Creaky (litterally, it shimmied all over during takeoff/landings) No IFE/WiFi. There was Icelandair cabin crew.
It's still doing that rotation -- I was on it for FI471 LGW-KEF yesterday, 17 September.

Honestly, whatever, it's a medium-distance leg. I was far more annoyed that I was dumped in a middle seat when they swapped the previously scheduled 757-300 out to a 757-200 for 6 hours of KEF-IAD.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I've got a cancellation of FI470 KEF-LGW in January.

Been offered FI450 KEF-LHR instead. Timings are within 5 minutes but we're flying out from LGW so need to get back there somehow!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:38 am

They still haven't updated my Jan 18 EWR -> KEF from a Max 9 to whatever they're swapping it with (I think a 757 is what they've been using). How does a 757 compare to the Max 9?

I just want to make sure they don't cancel the flight so I can start booking hotels and tours and stuff.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jem90
I've got a cancellation of FI470 KEF-LGW in January.

Been offered FI450 KEF-LHR instead. Timings are within 5 minutes but we're flying out from LGW so need to get back there somehow!
Might be too late but you could ask to be rebooked both ways from LHR.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:25 am

They still haven't updated my Jan 18 EWR -> KEF from a Max 9 to whatever they're swapping it with (I think a 757 is what they've been using). How does a 757 compare to the Max 9?

I just want to make sure they don't cancel the flight so I can start booking hotels and tours and stuff.
I would not worry too much, if they can't fly with 737 MAX then they will find some alternative plane for the flight and since 757s form the backbone of FI fleet that is indeed the most likely replacement. I believe KEF<->EWR is sufficiently popular route that I would say the chances of cancellation due to too few aircraft would require some additional issues. And the first option after a cancellation would likely be trying to reroute as many pax as possible (in case of EWR, probably via JFK would be the first option).
757s sure are older than 737 MAXs and may at times show their age (especially in IFE quality), but in my limited experience (total one flight few years ago) FI maintain these pretty well, so the flying experience should be fine. FI has been also using some leased aircrafts and it is possible these have different (possibly slightly worse) cabin interior, but at least these planes are not prone to fall down from the sky due to some odd avionics software "feature".
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Hezu
I would not worry too much, if they can't fly with 737 MAX then they will find some alternative plane for the flight and since 757s form the backbone of FI fleet that is indeed the most likely replacement. I believe KEF<->EWR is sufficiently popular route that I would say the chances of cancellation due to too few aircraft would require some additional issues. And the first option after a cancellation would likely be trying to reroute as many pax as possible (in case of EWR, probably via JFK would be the first option).
757s sure are older than 737 MAXs and may at times show their age (especially in IFE quality), but in my limited experience (total one flight few years ago) FI maintain these pretty well, so the flying experience should be fine. FI has been also using some leased aircrafts and it is possible these have different (possibly slightly worse) cabin interior, but at least these planes are not prone to fall down from the sky due to some odd avionics software "feature".
So FI just updates my itinerary yesterday! Max 9 is now a 757. They also moved the departure and arrival times out five minutes on the outbound route and on the inbound they pushed out the arrival time by 20 minutes. Isn’t that odd?
Old May 20, 2020, 3:23 am

FI has now leased a 16 years old B738, TF-KEX, from the Slovak airline AirExplore: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9693374 / https://www.planespotters.net/airfra...landair/rmx9ge . It seems to have been flying on various European routes; to/from LHR/LGW, HAM and OSL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.