Icelandair Max Situation

Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
ugh. USD65pp for row 24/25.... They charge USD45pp for row 28 - exit row.
I ll keep the row 8 free seats, hopefully will manage to sleep a little in the 5 hour flight...
Yes, I paid $65.00 since I was picking up a rental car and wanted a bit of sleep. It worked. I did not pay the extra fee on the return flight.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Here was my recent Icelandair experience through this:

Outbound CLE-BOS-KEF-LGW:
Only one flight was operated by Icelandair. CLE-BOS was Jetblue connection due to Cleveland being Axed. BOS-KEF was Icelandair but ran 1 hour late but ok. KEF-LGW was a Privilege Style operated 757 and arrived over an hour late. We were NEVER notified of this aircraft/operator change (though I was aware by my own means)

Inbound LGW-KEF-BOS-CLE:
Return to Keflavik was same old Privilege Style 757 1.5 hours late (Again, never notified of change). KEF-BOS ran 3-3.5 hour late and was a Euro Atlantic 767 and we were notified only before we boarded the previous flight. Our seats needed to be jumbled around as they moved my 2 year old (on a CHILD ticket) to be seated alone. Also the second flight to BOS was boarding as we pushed back. The second flight had deplaned by the time we reached our gate in Boston. How does that happen? (another EuroAtlantic 767) Naturally we missed our connection, it departed before we landed in Boston. The shining light here was I was given a hotel by Icelandair within 20 minutes of clearing the border, however our re-booked connection did not depart until 8:45 pm the next evening on Delta. All is well but I certainly won't be looking to Icelandair for some time. Whole reason I used them was to do the free stopover but they had to eliminate it once Cleveland route was axed. Still stuck with it because I wouldn't find a comparable deal I paid for 4 people.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
It only gets better... From Airlineroute.

•••••

Icelandair this month once again filed planned Dash8-Q400 operation, leased from Air Iceland Connect. The Dash8-Q400 service is scheduled to operate in the 3rd quarter of 2019. Also, the airline during the week of 23JUN19’s OAG schedules update filed leased Airbus A319 service, scheduled between late-June 2019 and early-August 2019.

The following is planned Dash8-Q400 and A319 operational frequencies (not overall frequencies for each route).

Dash8-Q400
Reykjavik Keflavik – Dublin 18JUL19 – 14SEP19 2 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Manchester 15JUL19 – 11SEP19 2 weekly

Airbus A319
Reykjavik Keflavik – Billund 01JUL19 – 30JUL19 1-3 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Brussels 20JUL19 / 27JUL19
Reykjavik Keflavik – Geneva 03JUL19
Reykjavik Keflavik – Hamburg one-time on 03UL19, and 3 weekly between 17JUL19 and 29JUL19
Reykjavik Keflavik – Manchester 30JUN19 – 30JUL19 2-3 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Oslo 11JUL19 – 28JUL19 2-3 weekly
Reykjavik Keflavik – Paris CDG 29JUN19 – 03AUG19 1-3 weekly
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: MileagePlus
I think IcelandAir has announced they are removing MAX flights through October. I'm a little concerned...I have a trip on IcelandAir scheduled to use the MAX 9 in January 2020, which seems like a far ways off but who can tell with this plane. I know it's not the peak season so hopefully they can just swap it out but I really can't afford to have the flight cancelled last minute (many people joining from around the world). Argh.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
We flew the abomination that is the EuroAtlantic 767 early July.
These were absolutely the tightest seats I've ever seen in 500+ Y flights in my life.

We had row 8 (first row set of 2), and the legroom was decent for a bulkhead. The set of 4 actually had more legroom.
Row 9 behind us looked knee-crushing in addition to the narrowness.

Luckily passed out for the entire 5 hours.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by rankourabu
We flew the abomination that is the EuroAtlantic 767 early July.
These were absolutely the tightest seats I've ever seen in 500+ Y flights in my life.

We had row 8 (first row set of 2), and the legroom was decent for a bulkhead. The set of 4 actually had more legroom.
Row 9 behind us looked knee-crushing in addition to the narrowness.

Luckily passed out for the entire 5 hours.
I was thinking about hitting the like button but on second thoughts there is nothing to like about what you have experienced. I am just onbo the same abomination. 8-abreast Y is just horrendous (had to buy Y as no decently priced J seats were available on other airlines and i just dont see the Saga class being worth nearly the same price as regular flat bed J. Did not know about EuroAtlantic at the time of booking). Definitely not looking forward to the next hours.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Trav1970

I was thinking about hitting the like button but on second thoughts there is nothing to like about what you have experienced. I am just onbo the same abomination. 8-abreast Y is just horrendous (had to buy Y as no decently priced J seats were available on other airlines and i just dont see the Saga class being worth nearly the same price as regular flat bed J. Did not know about EuroAtlantic at the time of booking). Definitely not looking forward to the next hours.
The flight ended. Never have I been as happy to get off a flight. The seat was the narrowest I have experienced ever. Very uncomfortable with hard parts just besides your legs (luckily had a so called legroom seat) effectively further reducing comfortable ways of sitting.

Never again.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:08 am

The flight ended. Never have I been as happy to get off a flight. The seat was the narrowest I have experienced ever. Very uncomfortable with hard parts just besides your legs (luckily had a so called legroom seat) effectively further reducing comfortable ways of sitting.

Never again.
And here we are again. KEF-HEL also on Euroatlantic. This time no legroom seat.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

And here we are again. KEF-HEL also on Euroatlantic. This time no legroom seat.
Just curious - what was the price of F and the price of Y seats?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Just curious - what was the price of F and the price of Y seats?
IIRC J seats were around 3x to what the Y seat was. I would have entered a bid for upgrade through the bidding system, but as my booking was last minute (due to another problem not related to FI), the upgrade bidding was no longer available.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
IIRC J seats were around 3x to what the Y seat was. I would have entered a bid for upgrade through the bidding system, but as my booking was last minute (due to another problem not related to FI), the upgrade bidding was no longer available.
OK, how much did you pay? (I was looking for cost of both)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:32 am

OK, how much did you pay? (I was looking for cost of both)
The actual fare was a last minute fare so ended up being around 1500 eur. Saga fares were between 3000 and 4000, dont recall exactly how much. So somewhere between 2x and 3x.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:58 am

The actual fare was a last minute fare so ended up being around 1500 eur. Saga fares were between 3000 and 4000, dont recall exactly how much. So somewhere between 2x and 3x.
I looked up last minute fares over several days and Saga fares were less than 200 eur higher. The point being that most of the time, business/first fares aren't much higher than coach fares. I find that to be the case most of the time on all airlines.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:21 pm

I looked up last minute fares over several days and Saga fares were less than 200 eur higher. The point being that most of the time, business/first fares aren't much higher than coach fares. I find that to be the case most of the time on all airlines.
If it would have been 200, I would have absolutely taken J. Apparently J may have been filled up.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:53 am

I have a KEF to LGW on a MAX 9 in late November. How concerned should I be about that flight getting cancelled? I am thinking about booking a BA flight with a 2 hour connection from LGW but I am debating it now seeing that it is on a MAX and flight could be cancelled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.