Icelandair Max Situation

Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Braniff
They are also in talks right now to take over WOW Air ...
That’s gonna happen. WoW ceased operations today.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Icelandair has re-booked me CLE-BOS-KEF-LGW and reverse back. I did lose my 24 hour stopover on the return trip. The call center sounded like a madhouse. Lots of "wow" rescue calls.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
The call center sounded like a madhouse. Lots of "wow" rescue calls.
Not unexpected. FI is probably your best bet if you are stranded and need to get to/from KEF, WOW's hub.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
Icelandair has re-booked me CLE-BOS-KEF-LGW and reverse back. I did lose my 24 hour stopover on the return trip. The call center sounded like a madhouse. Lots of "wow" rescue calls.
Call them back after the WoW dust settles (no earlier than late April) to see if you can get a more desirable rebooking.

Given WoW shutting down operations, I wouldn't be surprised to see Icelandair do some short term wet leases.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

That was the best they could do. They could only rebook starting another Icelandair city or connect using JetBlue. Situation did not qualify for them to put me on other airlines. JetBlue has a feeder partnership with them. I asked for 1 stop on AA,DL,UA or possibly BA non-stop from PIT but it was not allowed under circumstance. If they canceled 7 or less days before departure they should have been able to.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Icelandair Leases Additional 767s

Icelandair announced that it is leasing three additional 767s to replace the MAX to help them carry out their summer schedule.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...r.html?print=1
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Icelandair announced that it is leasing three additional 767s to replace the MAX to help them carry out their summer schedule.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...r.html?print=1
Short term leases. These won't be decked out in Icelandair colors nor will they be reconfigured to conform with Icelandair seating charts. Those aircraft have more seats than Maxs so they're adding capacity. As the dust settles, they'll probably add back cities they cancelled.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Short term leases. These won't be decked out in Icelandair colors nor will they be reconfigured to conform with Icelandair seating charts. Those aircraft have more seats than Maxs so they're adding capacity. As the dust settles, they'll probably add back cities they cancelled.
I guess the increased capacity might be useful as on some routes to/from KEF there might be demand for more seats since WOW folded.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Hezu
I guess the increased capacity might be useful as on some routes to/from KEF there might be demand for more seats since WOW folded.
Yes. These are very likely wet leases where the lessor supplies the aircrews, among other things. Rumor has it they're being leased from EuroAtlantic Airways with a 16/246 configuration.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Yes. These are very likely wet leases where the lessor supplies the aircrews, among other things. Rumor has it they're being leased from EuroAtlantic Airways with a 16/246 configuration.
And that means 8 across in Economy Class in the Boeing 767s - very few airlines dare offer that to their customers.

Last edited by Braniff; Apr 19, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:26 pm

I was scheduled to fly Berlin-KEF on a 737MAX in early May. My reservation shows that they have swapped a 757-200, the version where there is a lav on the left side where rows 7 & 8 would be.

We were booked More Legroom, and they rebooked us to row 7 (the right side) for this 757, which shows as More Legroom. Based on the Seatguru map I was going to move us to row 10, where 10F has no seat in front of it, but the system wanted to charge me a 2nd time for More Legroom. I tried to move myself back to 7F -- and it wanted to charge me to get my assigned seat back! I canceled seat selection so we still have row 7, but obviously that's not terribly impressive on the part of their web system. Oddly, it also showed every single seat on the plane was available to select, as if nobody but the two of us has a seat reservation, which seems... odd

Any opinions on row 7 on that config? Should I bother phoning them to try to switch?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:00 pm

My May YYZ-KEF flight originally 752 flight just go updated to 767, looks like the leased ones as there's 16 C seats in 4 rows of 1-2-1, woo hoo lie flat throne seats !! Return flight 73M is now a 752

This is supposed to be the leased 767 https://www.euroatlantic.pt/wp-conte...kr_tks_tkt.pdf

Last edited by Virginia Emery; Apr 23, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
My May YYZ-KEF flight originally 752 flight just go updated to 767, looks like the leased ones as there's 16 C seats in 4 rows of 1-2-1, woo hoo lie flat throne seats !! Return flight 73M is now a 752

This is supposed to be the leased 767 https://www.euroatlantic.pt/wp-conte...kr_tks_tkt.pdf
This is it. Note that you will have Portuguese crew, not Icelandair crew.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:36 pm

Note that you will have Portuguese crew, not Icelandair crew.
I think I'm okay with that, as long as they've stocked their new amenity kit

https://www.icelandair.com/blog/new-...it-collection/
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Member

For those traveling from NY - check your flights. ours was changed from 767 to 757 and seats are all different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.