Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Question - if I’m on the PVD to DUB flight and they want to rebook me onto the SWF to DUB flight, can I say no and get refunded? That is technically canceling our flight yes? Caniinvoke mytravel insuranve since I used my Sapphire Teserve to buy the ticket?
I don’t know how they can force you to take that. I’d assume you can ask for a refund once they offer you a different routing?!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by remphish1

Have you heard of Southwest Airlines? How about Ryan air, how about Spirit? How long have they been in business? They’re discount airlines so your example doesn’t apply. This is not a normal situation
Ryanair, Spirit etc. would put you in exactly the same situation if impacted by a similar event. You keep saying this isn't normal and you are right. But part of the deal of booking a low cost carrier is that when things aren't normal, it goes terribly. To expect a LCC to turn into a full service carrier in disruption situations is simply irrational. They won't talk to you, they will avoid you, they will try not to refund you. That's the business model.

You play a numbers game with them, hoping that the 95% of the time it works ok saves you more money than the 5% of the time it doesn't and it will cost you. You're just finding out what the 5% looks like now.

I personally don't like that gamble, so I don't fly low cost carriers.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Productivity
Ryanair, Spirit etc. would put you in exactly the same situation if impacted by a similar event. You keep saying this isn't normal and you are right. But part of the deal of booking a low cost carrier is that when things aren't normal, it goes terribly. To expect a LCC to turn into a full service carrier in disruption situations is simply irrational. They won't talk to you, they will avoid you, they will try not to refund you. That's the business model.

You play a numbers game with them, hoping that the 95% of the time it works ok saves you more money than the 5% of the time it doesn't and it will cost you. You're just finding out what the 5% looks like now.

I personally don't like that gamble, so I don't fly low cost carriers.
I guess you have more disposable income than me. I have a family of 4 and I rather save $2000 and spend it during my trip then on airfare. I’m not worried that I won’t get a refund it’s just when will I get it. People flying the week before me just got an email so I am sure I’ll get one next week.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I'm booked on the same route, but in mid-May, and since the grounding I haven't made any pre-paid reservations on the far side and keeping my fingers crossed. I'm waiting to see how they start handling late-April flights and will then book accordingly. For $320 I can't complain too much,and I'm fine with a DUB re-route (in which case I'll just rent a car there instead of at SNN) and drive the extra couple of hours to Galway, which is where I was heading for a 5-day getaway. I'd be equally fine with a connection out of Kennedy or Newark. And honestly if they're keeping a Dreamliner on the SWF-DUB route, that would probably suck less than a closer arrival airport on a Max-8 anyways.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Shouldn't the people who are planning to fly on Norwegian several months from now also worry about whether the carrier will still be operating at all at that time as well as the MAX rescheduling?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
https://www.independent.ie/breaking-...-37947978.html

new about Norwegian replacement planes
remphish1 and NJRadioGuy like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:52 am
Suspended

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-...-37947978.html

new about Norwegian replacement planes
I love how they refer to Providence, RI, as "Boston" and New Windsor, NY. as "New York."
I guess they're using the Ryanair "logic" where Bratislava is marketed as "Vienna."
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by GFrye
I love how they refer to Providence, RI, as "Boston" and New Windsor, NY. as "New York."
I guess they're using the Ryanair "logic" where Bratislava airport is marketed as "Vienna."
The irony is it's far easier (and I'd argue faster, too) to get from Bratislava to Vienna than it is to get from Stewart to Midtown Manhattan. Not to mention far more picturesque.

In my case it's an hour's drive at highway speeds, and minimal tolls, from my home in northern NJ to SWF, whereas JFK is typically 1.5 to 2 hours, and close to $35 in bridge tolls. Plus the uncertainty of bridge/tunnel traffic that could make it much longer if there's a wreck or some other problem.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
I spoke to Norwegian customer service again today. For our flight (PVD-DUB on 4/25) the rep was still not able to issue a refund when I asked again. According to her, our flight is not canceled and they have not made any changes to the planned airports. They have reassigned a different plane to our route - a 737 that is not a max 8, and we will be flying PVD-DUB, not bussing to SWF. Same seats as we had requested on the original. I'm a bit doubtful of this info but will continue to check on this every few days until our flight. I was told they were starting this as of mid April. I requested an email confirmation but was told nothing had changed from the one I got when I booked. Other than the plane!
remphish1 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I guess you have more disposable income than me. I have a family of 4 and I rather save $2000 and spend it during my trip then on airfare. I’m not worried that I won’t get a refund it’s just when will I get it. People flying the week before me just got an email so I am sure I’ll get one next week.
So, should this go poorly for you (chasing the refund for months, possibly getting no refund), will you post your experience? How many hours have you invested in this endeavor so far? What's your time worth?

Let me toss out another scenario you don't seem to have considered. What if Norwegian shuts down operations while you're on your vacation? What's it going to cost you to get home? Hint: prices will rise dramatically due to demand exceeding supply.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 29, 2019 at 3:18 am Reason: Remove personal comment
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Let me toss out another scenario you don't seem to have considered. What if Norwegian shuts down operations while you're on your vacation? What's it going to cost you to get home? Hint: prices will rise dramatically due to demand exceeding supply.
Exactly. There are reports of Icelandair fares tripling after WoW went bankrupt.
I wonder how many Norwegian customers can afford similar fare increases if Norwegian goes belly-up.
Penny wise, pound foolish.

Edit: Icelandair is now offering discounted fares for stranded WoW customers.
https://www.icelandair.com/support/c...-us/getmehome/
largeeyes likes this.

Last edited by GFrye; Mar 28, 2019 at 7:07 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:03 am
soy

Programs: various
I spoke to Norwegian customer service again today. For our flight (PVD-DUB on 4/25) the rep was still not able to issue a refund when I asked again. According to her, our flight is not canceled and they have not made any changes to the planned airports. They have reassigned a different plane to our route - a 737 that is not a max 8, and we will be flying PVD-DUB, not bussing to SWF. Same seats as we had requested on the original. I'm a bit doubtful of this info but will continue to check on this every few days until our flight. I was told they were starting this as of mid April. I requested an email confirmation but was told nothing had changed from the one I got when I booked. Other than the plane!
There are links to reports in Irish media to this effect upthread, so I see no reason to doubt it. They were using a standard 737 when these routes first launched so there is no reason they cannot do this again once they find a spare aircraft
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

So, should this go poorly for you (chasing the refund for months, possibly getting no refund), will you post your experience? How many hours have you invested in this endeavor so far? What's your time worth?

I will post my expierence! First all refund will be issued immediately on Amex I’m not worried. I spent a few hours but I spend that much on every vacation I plan. If it happens mid trip I take a boat to UK and fly from Manchester via Thomas cook, United , American etc many options. No need to be condescending. I have no financial issues , a great college fund set up for my kids and can afford an emergency flight however I try to spend my money wisely at all times and comparison shop so if you don’t more power to you. Don’t think for one moment that just because you pay more money you’re immune from a flight cancellation.
SquarePeg and Maestro Ramen like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 29, 2019 at 3:21 am Reason: Remove deleted text in quote.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

I will post my expierence! First all refund will be issued immediately on Amex I’m not worried. I spent a few hours but I spend that much on every vacation I plan. If it happens mid trip I take a boat to UK and fly from Manchester via Thomas cook, United , American etc many options. No need to be condescending. I have no financial issues , a great college fund set up for my kids and can afford an emergency flight however I try to spend my money wisely at all times and comparison shop so if you don’t more power to you. Don’t think for one moment that just because you pay more money you’re immune from a flight cancellation.
There's a BIG difference between a flight cancellation and an airline going out of business. For the last year, I've been expecting a race between WoW and Norwegian as to which airline would go out of business first. WoW 'won'. Norwegian's next.
Based on your posts here, you have been under the false impression that Norwegian is equivalent to financially stable airlines. It isn't.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

There's a BIG difference between a flight cancellation and an airline going out of business. For the last year, I've been expecting a race between WoW and Norwegian as to which airline would go out of business first. WoW 'won'. Norwegian's next.
Based on your posts here, you have been under the false impression that Norwegian is equivalent to financially stable airlines. It isn't.
Where I have I said that (let me remind you United, American , Delta all had financial issues one point or another) ? Anyway you have no right to tell people what is a prudent way to spend their money or how to save their money . I have back up plans and if it gets cancelled even up to the last minute I won’t be taking any financial hit. It’s more of an inconvience than anything. I will find a last minute trip somewhere else.

Last edited by remphish1; Mar 28, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.