Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL

Was planning on flying Norwegian on 4/12 SWF-SNN on the max 8 on April 12. Now with the news of it grounded how likely do you think it will be they can reaccomidate for the same city pairs at a similar flight time? I’m nervous they’ll reroute me to Dublin or now have to be leaving from JFK at or at vastly different times... how big will this impact their max flight routes I guess is to be seen...still trying to prepare.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by remphish1
Was planning on flying Norwegian on 4/12 SWF-SNN on the max 8 on April 12. Now with the news of it grounded how likely do you think it will be they can reaccomidate for the same city pairs at a similar flight time? I’m nervous they’ll reroute me to Dublin or now have to be leaving from JFK at or at vastly different times... how big will this impact their max flight routes I guess is to be seen...still trying to prepare.
During the Gatwick drone shutdown last year Norwegian did not rebook on other airlines but only on its own flights which meant quite long waits for some customers. I can only expect the same here. Given how much of Norwegian's TATL fleet is 7M8s I think it is very, very unlikely to get the same flight back. expect changes to airports (on both ends) and departure times. Also note that 7M8s are now banned from European airspace, it is not just the airline's decision.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Agneisse
During the Gatwick drone shutdown last year Norwegian did not rebook on other airlines but only on its own flights which meant quite long waits for some customers. I can only expect the same here. Given how much of Norwegian's TATL fleet is 7M8s I think it is very, very unlikely to get the same flight back. expect changes to airports (on both ends) and departure times. Also note that 7M8s are now banned from European airspace, it is not just the airline's decision.
Thats what I’m afraid of 😕
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

They are no longer selling my flight the whole month of April! 😩
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DY does not have interline ticketing agreements. Rebooking OA is simply not in the cards.

At this point, I would either:

1. Wait and do nothing for a few days. If it turns out that the software fix implemented by Boeing is the source of the issue (if there is an issue at all) and the "ban" is lifted, perhaps your flight will be reinstated and you will fly as scheduled (if you wish).
2. Cancel for a full refund and purchase a new ticket on a new routing. Triple check that your flight interruption insurance covers the fare difference.

The two are not mutually exclusive and it may well be that you don't want to fly DY in any event or the MAX makes you queasy even if not grounded. On the other hand, the passage of time won't make tickets routed NYC-SNN cheaper or easier to find.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
DY does not have interline ticketing agreements. Rebooking OA is simply not in the cards.
I remember reading somewhere that DY decided to cancel a route from SEA to somewhere and that they told the passengers that they had to fly from LAX instead and that the passengers had to pay for the SEA-LAX transfer themselves and that DY wouldn't pay up until after lots of fighting. In other words, if they put you on a flight to DUB instead of SNN, then you may have a hard time claiming back the cost of a train ticket from Dublin to Limerick, or wherever you are going.

Another problem is that DY may have difficulties rebooking passengers due to many suspended flights, so the dates could change significantly. Don't book any accommodation or anything which can't be cancelled free of charge until you know when you will be flying. DY legally has to cover any extra hotel and restaurant costs, but you may have to go to court to claim back that money.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:43 pm
Suspended

You won't have a hard time claiming. It will be easy to claim. But, you won't get the train fare paid. Period.

If DY offers a flight to DUB, you may choose to accept it and that is the end of it. The alternative is cancelling the ticket for a refund.

If you book DY for one reason or another, make certain to hedge the savings with good travel insurance. Couple this latest mess with DY's financial situation and there is a real risk of people being left stranded.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:51 am

You won't have a hard time claiming. It will be easy to claim. But, you won't get the train fare paid. Period.
You will if you sue them as they are required by law to offer transportation to the originally booked airport at no extra cost.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Some person
You will if you sue them as they are required by law to offer transportation to the originally booked airport at no extra cost.
Good luck with that.

DY has done this for at least a year and there is no evidence that it is being ordered to pay for these ancillary travel arrangements. If you have anything precedential to share, it would be mos thelpful to many here.

Those smart enough to hedge cheap fares on ULCC's with comprehensive travel interruption insurance are made whole and those who are not, have found themselves SOL.

Compound that with the distinct possibility that DY may well be insolvent before any claims are decided and thus a judgment is simply one more unsecured debt and most people will not even recover their filing fees.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:37 am

DY has done this for at least a year and there is no evidence that it is being ordered to pay for these ancillary travel arrangements. If you have anything precedential to share, it would be mos thelpful to many here.
Check article 8 of regulation 261/2004:
(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.

3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.
If DY doesn't offer these things, then you claim back the expenses you had as a result of this absence of the offer, but you may have to sue them to get your money.
Compound that with the distinct possibility that DY may well be insolvent before any claims are decided and thus a judgment is simply one more unsecured debt and most people will not even recover their filing fees.
This is another issue and for that reason I wouldn't book anything with them before it is known if their share issue goes through or not.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:29 am
Suspended

Check article 8 of regulation 261/2004:If DY doesn't offer these things, then you claim back the expenses you had as a result of this absence of the offer, but you may have to sue them to get your money.This is another issue and for that reason I wouldn't book anything with them before it is known if their share issue goes through or not.
We don't need references to the Regulation. People here are fairly sophisticated. As noted across FT on multiple occasions, DY outright refuses to rebook to or from other locations without an acceptance of it being a voluntary reroute. Alternatively, it offers a full refund and washes its hands. Nobody who has complained or said they are pursuing an action has reported back on favorable treatment. So, the question remains as to whether this is fruitful. Particularly given the prevalence of bottom feeder claims agencies working for a percentage of the loot, one would expect these to be easy claims if they were easy.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:01 am
soy

Programs: various
They have just changed SWF-DUB to a 787, so I reckon they will fly you to DUB and bus you to SNN. Adds 2-3 extra hours - but you will get there and can probably disembark in DUB if that suits better
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Have the same issue but PVD to DUB flying on 4/25-5/4. If they will refund I am going to cancel and rebook on AerLingus even though the cost is about $300 more. Would be ok with me if they change the plane and the departure to BOS as that is actually closer for me, do they even fly out of BOS?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Good luck suing them if they're bankrupt.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Have the same issue but PVD to DUB flying on 4/25-5/4. If they will refund I am going to cancel and rebook on AerLingus even though the cost is about $300 more. Would be ok with me if they change the plane and the departure to BOS as that is actually closer for me, do they even fly out of BOS?
They fly out of BOS, but no direct flights to DUB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.