Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Old Mar 17, 19, 9:07 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,536
Originally Posted by remphish1 View Post
I have flown several of budget airlines never an issue like
this including spirit, wow, Southwest, Ryanair, frontier etc Iím aware what my travel expirence will be like. I also have done plenty of research on them and I think the pros outweigh the cons in a normal situation. If what you say is true which Iím sure it they know they wonít be able to have a good backup all I am asking for is they donít hold onto my money anymore for the 1 % chance theyíll be able to go as schedule on the max 8 so I can book something else and not be scrambling last minute weather they are a budget airline or not shouldnít impact them know what theyíll do three weeks from now in my opinion.

additional info just read a report on the 737 Max 8 willl come out in 30 days! So to me now they should do the right thing and at a minimum cancel all 737 max 8 booked flights or get a replacement. If they canít arrange a replacement then they need to cancel immediately, they should now by now if they can or canít have a replacement in place by now.
I bolded the pertinent portion. If everything goes OK, it works out. I read an article a couple of summers ago about an Allegiant flight that was cancelled Tulsa to Las Vegas. The passengers were rebooked on Allegiant flights that had seats. Two weeks after their scheduled departure date. That's not abnormal for budget airlines. You've been fortunate in the past that you haven't experienced any major hiccups.

Norwegian isn't going to refund your money until the last possible minute. Norwegian may offer you different city pairs some time before your scheduled departure date, but from reading other posts, even that's uncertain. But a refund? That won't happen until the last minute and it'll take weeks for you to get your money back, as documented in many posts here.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 1:10 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London/California
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by remphish1 View Post


I have flown several of budget airlines never an issue like
this including spirit, wow, Southwest, Ryanair, frontier etc Iím aware what my travel expirence will be like. I also have done plenty of research on them and I think the pros outweigh the cons in a normal situation. If what you say is true which Iím sure it they know they wonít be able to have a good backup all I am asking for is they donít hold onto my money anymore for the 1 % chance theyíll be able to go as schedule on the max 8 so I can book something else and not be scrambling last minute weather they are a budget airline or not shouldnít impact them know what theyíll do three weeks from now in my opinion.

additional info just read a report on the 737 Max 8 willl come out in 30 days! So to me now they should do the right thing and at a minimum cancel all 737 max 8 booked flights or get a replacement. If they canít arrange a replacement then they need to cancel immediately, they should now by now if they can or canít have a replacement in place by now.
There are many opinions on what Norwegian 'should' do. The reality is that they are going to hold on to your money for as long as possible and delay cancelling flights for as long as possible. FT posters are just telling you what it is like, posting here on what an ideal resolution looks like in your opinion is not going to change the reality of the situation which is that you have booked with a low-cost, cash-strapped airline that is really bad with disruptions (see 787 fiasco last summer). If this trip is really so important, I would bite the bullet and make alternate plans now.
Agneisse is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 2:01 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Miles & More pleb
Posts: 513
As much as this hurts, in your shoes I would consider biting the bullet and buying another flight, right now, while the prices are still low.

Get a refundable fare this time, or purchase the "flexi option" that a lot of otas and carriers offer. That way if your Norwegian does not get cancelled you can refund that 2nd flight, for a small fee.

This way you have insurance and the trip is your hands. Sitting and waiting you are at the mercy of chance.

Consider flights to DUB if theyre cheaper. Look into ryanair for DUB-SNN. (Those wont be refundable but theyll be cheap as chips - dont add luggage until you know youre taking it)

edit: FR do not fly from dub to snn, sorry. HOWEVER they do from MAN, EDI and LGW so that opens a lot of options for your transatlantic leg. Good luck!

Last edited by Maestro Ramen; Mar 18, 19 at 2:07 am
Maestro Ramen is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:02 am
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NJ
Programs: AA, DL
Posts: 437
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
As much as this hurts, in your shoes I would consider biting the bullet and buying another flight, right now, while the prices are still low.

Get a refundable fare this time, or purchase the "flexi option" that a lot of otas and carriers offer. That way if your Norwegian does not get cancelled you can refund that 2nd flight, for a small fee.

This way you have insurance and the trip is your hands. Sitting and waiting you are at the mercy of chance.

Consider flights to DUB if theyre cheaper. Look into ryanair for DUB-SNN. (Those wont be refundable but theyll be cheap as chips - dont add luggage until you know youre taking it)

edit: FR do not fly from dub to snn, sorry. HOWEVER they do from MAN, EDI and LGW so that opens a lot of options for your transatlantic leg. Good luck!
Good options Iíd do if I was traveling with just my wife. If it doesnít work out Iím just going to flat out cancel everything as I stated I got youngish kids who are good on around a 6 hour flight donít want to add on connections or additional bus rides. As far as other flights I tried every combo I could that flies to Shannon (ewr, jfk) even coming back one day earlier and back one day late however I cant get 4 seats together without paying a fortune on any flight at this stage in the game as Iím going so soon. The only plus side I spoke with Airbnb and they gave me a little more flexibility so I have a little more time before I really have to cancel my lodging.

Last edited by remphish1; Mar 18, 19 at 4:31 am
remphish1 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 7:10 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Miles & More pleb
Posts: 513
About travelling with young kids, I would like to say that they are usually extremely resilient, probably more than adults... I know each individual is different, but there may be less to worry about than what you're thinking.

You will probably need to put up with extra connections in the first place, whether it's by bus from DUB to SNN, or by train/ryanair should make little difference.

A couple options that might be less hassle than it sounds:
* https://www.thomascookairlines.com/ Does a flight to Manchester daily (roughly $600) and has a "flex option" for a mere £20p/p which lets you cancel for a fee or rebook for free. MAN has a daily FR flight to SNN (but not on Fridays for some reason). Perhaps you could visit manchester / liverpool for a couple of days with your family, to break the journey, and see if your bnb can accomodate a slight date shift.

* Aerlingus does not allow cancellations on their "Smart" and "light" fares (roughly $700 for april as things stand) however they allow you to rebook for an extra 150$ per person. Sounds better than paying the astronomical flex fare.

Both these options will cost a bit of money but allow you to save the holiday for another time such as summer or Xmas, assuming your Norwegian flight doesn't get cancelled, so it's not money thrown down the drain. If your flight does get cancelled, you'll be needing those tickets.

I don't mean to be alarmist. Chances are you'll probably get your flight (with or without the extra bus rides)
Maestro Ramen is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:58 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,542
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
Consider flights to DUB if theyre cheaper. Look into ryanair for DUB-SNN. (Those wont be refundable but theyll be cheap as chips - dont add luggage until you know youre taking it)

edit: FR do not fly from dub to snn, sorry. HOWEVER they do from MAN, EDI and LGW so that opens a lot of options for your transatlantic leg. Good luck!
I don't know where you are going, but I'm assuming Limerick as it is the nearest big city from SNN. Iarnrůd …ireann wants 32 euros for a train ticket from Dublin to Limerick if you travel tomorrow, so that is also an option, should you end up in Dublin.

Do note that DY has a rather extensive short-haul network in Europe, so if you end up at the wrong European airport, they can probably get you to your destination or at least somewhere nearby. I'd be more worried about airport changes on the US side.
Im a new user is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:11 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,536
Originally Posted by remphish1 View Post
Good options Iíd do if I was traveling with just my wife. If it doesnít work out Iím just going to flat out cancel everything as I stated I got youngish kids who are good on around a 6 hour flight donít want to add on connections or additional bus rides. As far as other flights I tried every combo I could that flies to Shannon (ewr, jfk) even coming back one day earlier and back one day late however I cant get 4 seats together without paying a fortune on any flight at this stage in the game as Iím going so soon. The only plus side I spoke with Airbnb and they gave me a little more flexibility so I have a little more time before I really have to cancel my lodging.
After thinking about your situation for some time, I think you're down to having to fly on Norwegian if the Max is no longer grounded.
If the Max is still grounded, you are best off cancelling your ground reservations before there are any penalties. If right before you're scheduled to leave, the Max is no longer grounded, you can rebook your ground reservations.

So you're really down to cancelling the entire trip if Norwegian isn't able to fly your original route since you indicate that you have little/no flexibility in city pairs/flight times.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:20 pm
  #38  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NJ
Programs: AA, DL
Posts: 437
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
After thinking about your situation for some time, I think you're down to having to fly on Norwegian if the Max is no longer grounded.
If the Max is still grounded, you are best off cancelling your ground reservations before there are any penalties. If right before you're scheduled to leave, the Max is no longer grounded, you can rebook your ground reservations.

So you're really down to cancelling the entire trip if Norwegian isn't able to fly your original route since you indicate that you have little/no flexibility in city pairs/flight times.
I was planning on canceling my accommodations right before the penalty if I still dont have answers from Norwegian. I have relegated my self to if I still get to go Iíll have slim hotel pickings but itís better than not going.
remphish1 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 9:18 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,536
Originally Posted by remphish1 View Post
I was planning on canceling my accommodations right before the penalty if I still dont have answers from Norwegian. I have relegated my self to if I still get to go Iíll have slim hotel pickings but itís better than not going.
That sounds like your best option for multiple reasons.
As far as hotel availability, you're traveling during offseason so I don't think you'll be limited on hotel choices.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 4:47 pm
  #40  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,365
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
I just looked upthread and saw that your first flight doesn't depart for more than a month from now. It's definitely too early to worry about this stuff; Norwegian's unlikely to make a decision until it's less than two weeks prior to departure.
However, EC261 requires compensation for schedule changes made less than two weeks before the scheduled departure time, so I would expect Norwegian to be careful to make changes about 15 days in advance. OTOH, if they're bankrupt by then, getting EC261 compensation or a refund could be problematic, although many folks will have credit card coverage if they cease operations.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 5:00 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,542
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
However, EC261 requires compensation for schedule changes made less than two weeks before the scheduled departure time, so I would expect Norwegian to be careful to make changes about 15 days in advance. OTOH, if they're bankrupt by then, getting EC261 compensation or a refund could be problematic, although many folks will have credit card coverage if they cease operations.
I'd imagine that this Boeing situation counts as something extraordinary (at least for already booked tickets), so I don't think they need to inform more than 14 days in advance. Of course, if they inform early, a bit fewer passengers might take advantage of the right to make two phone calls at DY's expense.
Im a new user is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 6:49 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 207
I have a group of friends book SWF to SNN (I am out of Boston to SNN) . At first I was thinking they will just put them on then SWF to Dublin flight since they brought in the Dreamliner to take off the route for the Max8. But, then I saw after this Friday that they don't have the flights even going to Dublin anymore and the Dreamliner was just a temporary fix. Tickets were brought thru chase portal. Afraid if they keep waiting for answers prices will just keep going up.
gogiantsfan11 is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 8:50 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BOS
Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Posts: 708
Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11 View Post
I have a group of friends book SWF to SNN (I am out of Boston to SNN) . At first I was thinking they will just put them on then SWF to Dublin flight since they brought in the Dreamliner to take off the route for the Max8. But, then I saw after this Friday that they don't have the flights even going to Dublin anymore and the Dreamliner was just a temporary fix. Tickets were brought thru chase portal. Afraid if they keep waiting for answers prices will just keep going up.
ĎHi. Where are you seeing the SWF to DUB is no longer flying on the Dreamliner? If you check flight status arrivals to Dublin, through 2 days from now, you can see the flights from PVD showing canceled and from SWF showing currently scheduled ď on time ď.
SquarePeg is offline  
Old Mar 20, 19, 4:02 am
  #44  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NJ
Programs: AA, DL
Posts: 437
Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11 View Post
I have a group of friends book SWF to SNN (I am out of Boston to SNN) . At first I was thinking they will just put them on then SWF to Dublin flight since they brought in the Dreamliner to take off the route for the Max8. But, then I saw after this Friday that they don't have the flights even going to Dublin anymore and the Dreamliner was just a temporary fix. Tickets were brought thru chase portal. Afraid if they keep waiting for answers prices will just keep going up.
Thatís the problem I have at the moment. Last week I almost bought a substitute flight at $600 per person which wasnít terrible. Now I canít find anything on the days I need for under $900 plus canít get seats together anymore which isnít doable with my three year old obviously. When they eventually refund me I wonít even be close to covering the new higher prices. I did however rearrange all my lodging now so I can cancel now 4 days before my departure. I hope by then Iíll know if not Iíll have to cancel the hotels again 🙄
remphish1 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:06 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 207
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post


ĎHi. Where are you seeing the SWF to DUB is no longer flying on the Dreamliner? If you check flight status arrivals to Dublin, through 2 days from now, you can see the flights from PVD showing canceled and from SWF showing currently scheduled ď on time ď.
You right. As of right now they have the dreamliner running thru April 1st and then nothing in April. The question remains will they at least keep the SWF to Dublin route thru the summer months or will they send all those people down to JFK to connect via Oslo ?
gogiantsfan11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: