Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Was booked on a Norwegian 737 Max 8 for April

Old Mar 14, 19, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by soy View Post
They have just changed SWF-DUB to a 787, so I reckon they will fly you to DUB and bus you to SNN. Adds 2-3 extra hours - but you will get there and can probably disembark in DUB if that suits better
You beat me to posting the e-sub (equipment substitution). They'll put a 787 on that route which I doubt they'll deviate from that city pair. If one can live with that as an alternative to what they're currently booked across the pond, I'd suggest they get Norwegian to get them a seat on that city pair. This is probably going to be the best reaccomodation that Norwegian will do.
Article: https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/03...ewart-airport/

Given the technical issues with the 737 Max, I'd expect it to be grounded for several weeks because they not only have to determine the problem but also fix it. I have ideas on what the source of the problem is, but I'm not going to speculate. And for what it's worth, the crew that flew the malfunctioning Lion Air aircraft on the flight before the fatal accident had the same problems but were able to safely fly the plane to its destination.
If someone has a ticket on Norwegian in the next few weeks to a city pair near SWF-DUB, I recommend that they have Norwegian put them on the 787 before they fill up.
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
Have the same issue but PVD to DUB flying on 4/25-5/4. If they will refund I am going to cancel and rebook on AerLingus even though the cost is about $300 more. Would be ok with me if they change the plane and the departure to BOS as that is actually closer for me, do they even fly out of BOS?
Originally Posted by bman1002 View Post
They fly out of BOS, but no direct flights to DUB.

Spoke to them yesterday. No refund option as our flight has not actually been canceled yet. They are canceling/rebooking everything through 3/31 at this point. Their solution is to bus passengers 3+ hours from PVD to SWF and they have a dreamliner flying the route 1/day, apparently combining their PVD and SWF flights into one. This is a terrible solution for us as we already have 1+ hour drive to get to PVD. Not sure what flight times they are using - we were scheduled for an overnight landing at 7am in DUB. Haven't been able to find that info and didn't think to ask for it when I finally got through on the phone. Either way, I'm hoping by mid April they have a better solution in place.
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Surely they'll permit people to make their own way to SWF at their own expense rather than forcing everyone to gather at PVD and take the Norwegian bus(es).
Old Mar 15, 19, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Surely they'll permit people to make their own way to SWF at their own expense rather than forcing everyone to gather at PVD and take the Norwegian bus(es).
If we drive to SWF on our own we would need to drive back after a 7 hour flight. Not wanting to do that. I may look into a one way car rental if it comes to that but it's still a 3.5 hour drive direct from our house to SWF and then we're responsible for traffic, car trouble, parking or car rental return, fuel etc. It may just be easier to fall in with their plan and let someone else do the driving.

Our flight was scheduled to leave PVD at 19:55. Looked at their website and the flight from SWF to DUB today is scheduled for 20:50 - last night's flight scheduled at the same time left at 21:22. Much better than the previous night where they didn't depart until 00:37. They must be having people arrive at PVD much earlier than normally required.
Old Mar 15, 19, 10:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
If we drive to SWF on our own we would need to drive back after a 7 hour flight. Not wanting to do that. I may look into a one way car rental if it comes to that but it's still a 3.5 hour drive direct from our house to SWF and then we're responsible for traffic, car trouble, parking or car rental return, fuel etc. It may just be easier to fall in with their plan and let someone else do the driving.

Our flight was scheduled to leave PVD at 19:55. Looked at their website and the flight from SWF to DUB today is scheduled for 20:50 - last night's flight scheduled at the same time left at 21:22. Much better than the previous night where they didn't depart until 00:37. They must be having people arrive at PVD much earlier than normally required.
Not to be a jerk, but this is why people say that the cheapest airline ticket isn't always the cheapest. Norwegian isn't going to reaccomodate you like other airlines would.
You can wait to figure out alternatives but remember that everyone else in your shoes is also going to need to rebook filling up seats and limiting your choices.
At this point, your best choice is to rebook to the 787, make plans for the least painful alternative, and hope that the 737 grounding is lifting and they go back to the original schedules before you fly. Waiting to plan for alternatives is probably your worst option right now.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Anyone have advice in this situation? Original departure time is 4.45 pm, now delayed until 8.25pm. As we need to check in luggage, do we need to do so according to the 4.45 pm departure time?
Old Mar 16, 19, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
Not to be a jerk, but this is why people say that the cheapest airline ticket isn't always the cheapest. Norwegian isn't going to reaccomodate you like other airlines would.
You can wait to figure out alternatives but remember that everyone else in your shoes is also going to need to rebook filling up seats and limiting your choices.
At this point, your best choice is to rebook to the 787, make plans for the least painful alternative, and hope that the 737 grounding is lifting and they go back to the original schedules before you fly. Waiting to plan for alternatives is probably your worst option right now.
personally Iíd like to book an alternative flight but if they refuse to give a refund I donít want to be out on the refund. Like I said Iím worried theyíll claim
theyll get me to Shannon via Dublin which I donít want the inconvienience as I have a 4 and 7 year old with me 😬 if thatís what theyíd do Iíd like an immediate refund so I can no longer held back financially on this and book with an airline thatíll fly me to Shannon so I can keep my hotel and car rental I already have lined up
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by remphish1 View Post
personally Iíd like to book an alternative flight but if they refuse to give a refund I donít want to be out on the refund.
If they cancel the flight, then they have to give you three options, one of them being a full refund. If you go for the refund, then it's your problem to get a new flight to Ireland. Article 8 of Regulation 261/2004.

If they don't cancel the flight, then you won't get any refund. Do note that it is possible that they decide to operate this flight using a different aircraft and instead cancel some other flight.
Old Mar 16, 19, 2:43 pm

From my conversation with Norwegian rep the other day, we don't have any option to rebook on the 787 at this time because they haven't canceled or rebooked anything out to our dates yet. We will probably suck it up and take the bus to SWF. I'll keep a close eye on our booking so we can call right away.

As for buying the cheapest - yes I agree not always a great move, especially if it's only a few dollars more. I wanted to fly on AerLingus out of BOS because we live so close but my traveling companions didn't want to pay the $300+ more per ticket (by the time we added in checked bag fee and the cost to buy up to a decent seat). That's a lot of pints!!! I was unaware of Norwegian's other troubles. After having a conversation with some friends who had used Norwegian several times recently, it seemed worth a shot.
Old Mar 16, 19, 3:48 pm

From my conversation with Norwegian rep the other day, we don't have any option to rebook on the 787 at this time because they haven't canceled or rebooked anything out to our dates yet. We will probably suck it up and take the bus to SWF. I'll keep a close eye on our booking so we can call right away.

As for buying the cheapest - yes I agree not always a great move, especially if it's only a few dollars more. I wanted to fly on AerLingus out of BOS because we live so close but my traveling companions didn't want to pay the $300+ more per ticket (by the time we added in checked bag fee and the cost to buy up to a decent seat). That's a lot of pints!!! I was unaware of Norwegian's other troubles. After having a conversation with some friends who had used Norwegian several times recently, it seemed worth a shot.
I just looked upthread and saw that your first flight doesn't depart for more than a month from now. It's definitely too early to worry about this stuff; Norwegian's unlikely to make a decision until it's less than two weeks prior to departure.
4sallypat likes this.
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

I just looked upthread and saw that your first flight doesn't depart for more than a month from now. It's definitely too early to worry about this stuff; Norwegian's unlikely to make a decision until it's less than two weeks prior to departure.
im departing in 26 days. For me its something to worry about. Iím going over my kids spring break I have no flexibility. In addition I rented a house which becomes non refundable shortly.
Old Mar 17, 19, 9:59 am

im departing in 26 days. For me its something to worry about. Iím going over my kids spring break I have no flexibility. In addition I rented a house which becomes non refundable shortly.
You sound like you're expecting the same level of service that one gets on a full service airline. You booked on a deep discount no frills carrier that is on the edge of insolvency. They do not operate the same as full service airlines. Part of the higher ticket price for full service carriers is customer service.
Old Mar 17, 19, 10:16 am
Original Poster

You sound like you're expecting the same level of service that one gets on a full service airline. You booked on a deep discount no frills carrier that is on the edge of insolvency. They do not operate the same as full service airlines. Part of the higher ticket price for full service carriers is customer service.
I guess itís expecting to much to get information. Once I have information I can make a decision. If they know theyíre going to cancel they shouldnít string people along and do it as soon as possible
Old Mar 17, 19, 12:19 pm

I guess itís expecting to much to get information. Once I have information I can make a decision. If they know theyíre going to cancel they shouldnít string people along and do it as soon as possible
Yes, it is expecting too much. Norwegian has no idea when the grounding of the Max aircraft will be lifted and no one that has any idea of how long it will take is commenting.
Norwegian doesn't have a large aircraft fleet like United, American, Delta, British Airways, Lufthansa so they aren't able to move aircraft around to accommodate every route effected by the Max grounding.

It sounds like you really don't understand that buying a ticket from a barebones carrier such as Norwegian, Wow, Easyjet, Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant or any other 'low cost' carrier means you don't get answers quickly and you don't get rebooked on other carriers that have spare capacity. The reason why your ticket price was so low is because they don't pay for the staffing levels required to answer questions in a timely manner, they don't have the spare aircraft and crews to replace grounded aircraft, and they don't have interline agreements to rebook you on other carriers.

Let me put this in automobile terms. You bought a used Hyundai with 125,000 miles on it. It doesn't come with a warranty. If you want a warranty, buy a car with a warranty. There were many, many, many warnings about buying tickets on Norwegian in this subforum. Did you not do any research on Norwegian before making the purchase?

There's a reason why their ticket prices are below competitors' prices. And it's been well documented here and in other places.
arollins and Agneisse like this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it is expecting too much. Norwegian has no idea when the grounding of the Max aircraft will be lifted and no one that has any idea of how long it will take is commenting.
Norwegian doesn't have a large aircraft fleet like United, American, Delta, British Airways, Lufthansa so they aren't able to move aircraft around to accommodate every route effected by the Max grounding.

It sounds like you really don't understand that buying a ticket from a barebones carrier such as Norwegian, Wow, Easyjet, Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant or any other 'low cost' carrier means you don't get answers quickly and you don't get rebooked on other carriers that have spare capacity. The reason why your ticket price was so low is because they don't pay for the staffing levels required to answer questions in a timely manner, they don't have the spare aircraft and crews to replace grounded aircraft, and they don't have interline agreements to rebook you on other carriers.

Let me put this in automobile terms. You bought a used Hyundai with 125,000 miles on it. It doesn't come with a warranty. If you want a warranty, buy a car with a warranty. There were many, many, many warnings about buying tickets on Norwegian in this subforum. Did you not do any research on Norwegian before making the purchase?

There's a reason why their ticket prices are below competitors' prices. And it's been well documented here and in other places.
I have flown several of budget airlines never an issue like
this including spirit, wow, Southwest, Ryanair, frontier etc Iím aware what my travel expirence will be like. I also have done plenty of research on them and I think the pros outweigh the cons in a normal situation. If what you say is true which Iím sure it they know they wonít be able to have a good backup all I am asking for is they donít hold onto my money anymore for the 1 % chance theyíll be able to go as schedule on the max 8 so I can book something else and not be scrambling last minute weather they are a budget airline or not shouldnít impact them know what theyíll do three weeks from now in my opinion.

additional info just read a report on the 737 Max 8 willl come out in 30 days! So to me now they should do the right thing and at a minimum cancel all 737 max 8 booked flights or get a replacement. If they canít arrange a replacement then they need to cancel immediately, they should now by now if they can or canít have a replacement in place by now.

Last edited by remphish1; Mar 17, 19 at 7:55 pm

Search this Thread