Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Carry On / Cabin Baggage Sizes (Vueling /VY, TP / TAP, RyanAir / FR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry On / Cabin Baggage Sizes (Vueling /VY, TP / TAP, RyanAir / FR)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by ayee007
ok im gonna stay away from ryanair. i have three legs to take within europe, two i think i'll go with vueling and the last one i'm going with iberia. their cabin baggage allowance seems more generous than the other airlines. just hope vueling doesnt check my carry on!
The issue with Ryanair is that they have a lot of rules which may incur extra fees for the passenger if the passenger doesn't pay attention to the rules. On the other hand, if you know the rules, then it can be a lot cheaper.

Another thing to consider is that they often use remote and obscure airports, so transportation to and from the airport can take more time and cost extra money.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:20 am

yea we are not from the EU so we'll need to print boarding passes. are mobile boarding passes not available to non-EU pax?
If you fly within the Schengen zone, mobile boarding passes should work either way. Visa check appears to be only required when leaving or entering the Schengen zone.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

thank you guys very much for the tips and tricks! do you know if all passengers are able to get mobile boarding passes on vueling and iberia? not sure if these airlines charge you to print tickets at the counter but i've heard that to be the case for some airlines
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Some person
Another thing to consider is that they often use remote and obscure airports, so transportation to and from the airport can take more time and cost extra money.
Not everywhere. They've been switching to more central airports in many places.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
never had an issue with my standard US carryon size. 6 ryanair flights from different airports, DUB, LPL others
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:13 am

thank you guys very much for the tips and tricks! do you know if all passengers are able to get mobile boarding passes on vueling and iberia? not sure if these airlines charge you to print tickets at the counter but i've heard that to be the case for some airlines
My Vueling UK-Schengen flight earlier in the month required a stop at the counter to get my boarding pass (non-EU passport, from a country that does not require a visa to the Schengen area). Agent was unfazed and there was no charge, so it seemed routine.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Michael Nemeth
never had an issue with my standard US carryon size. 6 ryanair flights from different airports, DUB, LPL others
That means nothing if you have an issue next time. Or does a "standard US carryon" comply with Ryanair size restrictions?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I have found that Ryanair is much less strict than some mainline carriers these days - especially if you have priority boarding.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:17 pm

Thought I would ask here instead of starting a new thread. If I have a carry on that meets their size requirements, will Vueling gate check it for me for free on request? In the US this is common, but not sure on a European LCC? Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by PeteyNice
Thought I would ask here instead of starting a new thread. If I have a carry on that meets their size requirements, will Vueling gate check it for me for free on request? In the US this is common, but not sure on a European LCC? Thanks.
If the flight is full they will likely ask for volunteers to gate check. Have seen it a few times in the last few weeks .
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by PeteyNice
Yes. With the exception of Ryanair, basically no LCC will have enough bin space for everyone's carry-ons and it is routine to gate check everyone's carryons after the ~100th bag for free. If you arrive at the gate a bit later, you (and everyone else around you) will be given a free gate check, no questions or requests required.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:27 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I don't think annecdotal evidence "they didnt check on my flight" is useful here. You just need a gate agent with a bad night's sleep to check and you are off. I had an LH agent in a bad mood force me to check a US size carry-on when I was flying business class!
if you are worried about it and have to go to the counter anyway, just check the bag and enjoy your trip! One gate dragon can ruin your travel, it's just not worth it...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Fyd
I don't think annecdotal evidence "they didnt check on my flight" is useful here. You just need a gate agent with a bad night's sleep to check and you are off. I had an LH agent in a bad mood force me to check a US size carry-on when I was flying business class!
if you are worried about it and have to go to the counter anyway, just check the bag and enjoy your trip! One gate dragon can ruin your travel, it's just not worth it...
LH gate dragons are especially fierce
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:22 am

We have bags that meet Vueling’s size restrictions, but the flight from Gatwick says 10 kg weight limit. Are they likely to weigh at the counter? I do like the suggestion to go right to the gate but as we are from the US we might need the visa stamp. Would they also weigh at the gate since it’s such a low weight allowance?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Suzzin
We have bags that meet Vueling’s size restrictions, but the flight from Gatwick says 10 kg weight limit. Are they likely to weigh at the counter? I do like the suggestion to go right to the gate but as we are from the US we might need the visa stamp. Would they also weigh at the gate since it’s such a low weight allowance?
I have not seen them weigh without cause (eg frail looking person or bag bursting at the seams). If you are really worried then just take turns in going to the counter leaving the bags with the other travel partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.