Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Carry On Baggage Sizes (Vueling, TAP, RyanAir)

Carry On Baggage Sizes (Vueling, TAP, RyanAir)

Reply

Old Mar 8, 19, 5:50 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by ayee007 View Post
ok im gonna stay away from ryanair. i have three legs to take within europe, two i think i'll go with vueling and the last one i'm going with iberia. their cabin baggage allowance seems more generous than the other airlines. just hope vueling doesnt check my carry on!
The issue with Ryanair is that they have a lot of rules which may incur extra fees for the passenger if the passenger doesn't pay attention to the rules. On the other hand, if you know the rules, then it can be a lot cheaper.

Another thing to consider is that they often use remote and obscure airports, so transportation to and from the airport can take more time and cost extra money.
Some person is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 19, 6:20 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FRA
Posts: 1,391
Originally Posted by ayee007 View Post
yea we are not from the EU so we'll need to print boarding passes. are mobile boarding passes not available to non-EU pax?
If you fly within the Schengen zone, mobile boarding passes should work either way. Visa check appears to be only required when leaving or entering the Schengen zone.
Alex71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 19, 2:02 pm
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 88
thank you guys very much for the tips and tricks! do you know if all passengers are able to get mobile boarding passes on vueling and iberia? not sure if these airlines charge you to print tickets at the counter but i've heard that to be the case for some airlines
ayee007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 2:27 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: LIS, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
Posts: 7,484
Originally Posted by Some person View Post
Another thing to consider is that they often use remote and obscure airports, so transportation to and from the airport can take more time and cost extra money.
Not everywhere. They've been switching to more central airports in many places.
Palal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 3:22 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Marriott, AA, DL
Posts: 8
never had an issue with my standard US carryon size. 6 ryanair flights from different airports, DUB, LPL others
Michael Nemeth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:13 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 174
Originally Posted by ayee007 View Post
thank you guys very much for the tips and tricks! do you know if all passengers are able to get mobile boarding passes on vueling and iberia? not sure if these airlines charge you to print tickets at the counter but i've heard that to be the case for some airlines
My Vueling UK-Schengen flight earlier in the month required a stop at the counter to get my boarding pass (non-EU passport, from a country that does not require a visa to the Schengen area). Agent was unfazed and there was no charge, so it seemed routine.
Agneisse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:24 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,716
Originally Posted by Michael Nemeth View Post
never had an issue with my standard US carryon size. 6 ryanair flights from different airports, DUB, LPL others
That means nothing if you have an issue next time. Or does a "standard US carryon" comply with Ryanair size restrictions?
ft101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:58 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TLV
Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Posts: 3,078
I have found that Ryanair is much less strict than some mainline carriers these days - especially if you have priority boarding.
NYTA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 12:17 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 136
Thought I would ask here instead of starting a new thread. If I have a carry on that meets their size requirements, will Vueling gate check it for me for free on request? In the US this is common, but not sure on a European LCC? Thanks.
PeteyNice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 1:24 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TLV
Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Posts: 3,078
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Thought I would ask here instead of starting a new thread. If I have a carry on that meets their size requirements, will Vueling gate check it for me for free on request? In the US this is common, but not sure on a European LCC? Thanks.
If the flight is full they will likely ask for volunteers to gate check. Have seen it a few times in the last few weeks .
NYTA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:41 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 174
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Thought I would ask here instead of starting a new thread. If I have a carry on that meets their size requirements, will Vueling gate check it for me for free on request? In the US this is common, but not sure on a European LCC? Thanks.
Yes. With the exception of Ryanair, basically no LCC will have enough bin space for everyone's carry-ons and it is routine to gate check everyone's carryons after the ~100th bag for free. If you arrive at the gate a bit later, you (and everyone else around you) will be given a free gate check, no questions or requests required.
Agneisse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 7:27 am
  #27  
Fyd
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SFO, MNL, SIN, HAM
Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Posts: 453
I don't think annecdotal evidence "they didnt check on my flight" is useful here. You just need a gate agent with a bad night's sleep to check and you are off. I had an LH agent in a bad mood force me to check a US size carry-on when I was flying business class!
if you are worried about it and have to go to the counter anyway, just check the bag and enjoy your trip! One gate dragon can ruin your travel, it's just not worth it...
Fyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 7:49 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TLV
Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Posts: 3,078
Originally Posted by Fyd View Post
I don't think annecdotal evidence "they didnt check on my flight" is useful here. You just need a gate agent with a bad night's sleep to check and you are off. I had an LH agent in a bad mood force me to check a US size carry-on when I was flying business class!
if you are worried about it and have to go to the counter anyway, just check the bag and enjoy your trip! One gate dragon can ruin your travel, it's just not worth it...
LH gate dragons are especially fierce
NYTA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 9:22 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 174
We have bags that meet Vueling’s size restrictions, but the flight from Gatwick says 10 kg weight limit. Are they likely to weigh at the counter? I do like the suggestion to go right to the gate but as we are from the US we might need the visa stamp. Would they also weigh at the gate since it’s such a low weight allowance?
Suzzin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 10:31 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 174
Originally Posted by Suzzin View Post
We have bags that meet Vueling’s size restrictions, but the flight from Gatwick says 10 kg weight limit. Are they likely to weigh at the counter? I do like the suggestion to go right to the gate but as we are from the US we might need the visa stamp. Would they also weigh at the gate since it’s such a low weight allowance?
I have not seen them weigh without cause (eg frail looking person or bag bursting at the seams). If you are really worried then just take turns in going to the counter leaving the bags with the other travel partner.
Agneisse is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread