KEF Icelandair MCT/logistic question

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:54 pm
Formerly known as uclaboby
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AS, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
KEF Icelandair MCT/logistic question

I'd appreciate any advice.
Planning to fly one-way GLA-KEF-PDX in August. Booking on one itinerary is an outrageous $1700. Booking separate tickets (GLA-KEF and KEF-PDX) on the Icelandair site is only about $500. However, the scheduled connection is only 45 minutes. I know that is normally enough at KEF but I'm curious if continuing to the USA has any effect (flights to the US tend to have more bells and whistles in my experience and I haven't flown through KEF in about 7 years).

We would travel with only a carryon/personal item so presumably KEF would do passport checks and such at the gate (?) Or would I need to go through passport control and check in again? If you feel this is a doable plan and isn't an issue, would it help to have Icelandair link the reservations, or let GLA know about our continuing flight?.... I'd really appreciated anyone's expertise on this situation.

Worst case, we fly to KEF the day before.

Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
No personal experience but it’s far too tight a transfer to me. If your first flight is even slightly late the chances are you will miss your flight and have to buy a new last minute one way ticket which is likely to be very expensive.
Have you tried looking at return fares? - you can have your return at a very off peak time. These are often much cheaper than one ways and you can just discard the return segment.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:43 am

If the difference is $1200, have you considered staying one night in Iceland? A hotel costs a lot less than that.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Just to clarify, we could get to KEF the day before using two separate tickets and it would still be $500. So, there wouldn't be a situation where we needed to pay $1700. You're right, though. The safe option is to get there the day before and not worry about the connection! Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
No personal experience but it’s far too tight a transfer to me. If your first flight is even slightly late the chances are you will miss your flight and have to buy a new last minute one way ticket which is likely to be very expensive.
Have you tried looking at return fares? - you can have your return at a very off peak time. These are often much cheaper than one ways and you can just discard the return segment.
Great idea.... I did test a round-trip flight but just picked some random return date and didn't consider that some could be much cheaper. (On the date I picked, a RT ticket priced at $1100). I will try some off-peak dates. Otherwise, getting to KEF the day before sounds like the best option. Thank you for that advice!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

As an option #3 we could fly from Edinburgh to KEF earlier that day. That might be the best option, assuming WOW air is still around.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
KEF is the most efficient transfer hub there is. 45 minutes is perfectly fine MCT - and Icelandair frequently holds flight to the US if incoming European flights are late. You are not arriving from a Schengen country so there's no immigration formalities to deal with. You just stay downstairs - almost zero walking.

I would however not miss the opportunity to spend a night or two in Iceland and do some sightseeing.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LA to PDX
I'd appreciate any advice.
Planning to fly one-way GLA-KEF-PDX in August. Booking on one itinerary is an outrageous $1700. Booking separate tickets (GLA-KEF and KEF-PDX) on the Icelandair site is only about $500. However, the scheduled connection is only 45 minutes. I know that is normally enough at KEF but I'm curious if continuing to the USA has any effect (flights to the US tend to have more bells and whistles in my experience and I haven't flown through KEF in about 7 years).

We would travel with only a carryon/personal item so presumably KEF would do passport checks and such at the gate (?) Or would I need to go through passport control and check in again? If you feel this is a doable plan and isn't an issue, would it help to have Icelandair link the reservations, or let GLA know about our continuing flight?.... I'd really appreciated anyone's expertise on this situation.

Worst case, we fly to KEF the day before.

Thank you.
I have a 50 minute connection there with Icelandair tomorrow on two separate tickets. I'll let you know how I got on tomorrow evening.
LA to PDX likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braniff
KEF is the most efficient transfer hub there is. 45 minutes is perfectly fine MCT - and Icelandair frequently holds flight to the US if incoming European flights are late. You are not arriving from a Schengen country so there's no immigration formalities to deal with. You just stay downstairs - almost zero walking.

I would however not miss the opportunity to spend a night or two in Iceland and do some sightseeing.
I really appreciate your insight and information about the immigration formalities.

It's easy and affordable enough to get to KEF from the Pacific Northwest USA so we'd definitely plan to do a separate Iceland trip another time...I'm been for about 7 days and needed more time - my fiancee has never been and I'd want her to get more than a day or two worth. I've been thinking about this issue purely in terms of logistics and spending minimal time in Iceland, because it would be at the expense of UK, which is the point of this trip...

We've come up with another promising option. We may take the train from Glasgow down to London, via York, the evening before. Only 4+ hours and then there are several London-KEF flights that morning, with anywhere from 2-8 hours in KEF. The KEF-PDX leg on Icelandair is only about $300, so we've just got to get to KEF.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by george77300
I have a 50 minute connection there with Icelandair tomorrow on two separate tickets. I'll let you know how I got on tomorrow evening.
Barf..... are you also leaving/entering Schengen area?

I recently book separate MSP-KEF, KEF-ARN for my friend with 4.5 hours at KEF in July, even that I'm still not quite comfortable with such arrangement. Returning we're spending 3 days in Iceland so separate ticketing is no issue.

In addition, has FI been willing to check bags all the way to final destination?
george77300 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LA to PDX
I really appreciate your insight and information about the immigration formalities.

It's easy and affordable enough to get to KEF from the Pacific Northwest USA so we'd definitely plan to do a separate Iceland trip another time...I'm been for about 7 days and needed more time - my fiancee has never been and I'd want her to get more than a day or two worth. I've been thinking about this issue purely in terms of logistics and spending minimal time in Iceland, because it would be at the expense of UK, which is the point of this trip...

We've come up with another promising option. We may take the train from Glasgow down to London, via York, the evening before. Only 4+ hours and then there are several London-KEF flights that morning, with anywhere from 2-8 hours in KEF. The KEF-PDX leg on Icelandair is only about $300, so we've just got to get to KEF.
Originally Posted by vincewy
Barf..... are you also leaving/entering Schengen area?

I recently book separate MSP-KEF, KEF-ARN for my friend with 4.5 hours at KEF in July, even that I'm still not quite comfortable with such arrangement. Returning we're spending 3 days in Iceland so separate ticketing is no issue.

In addition, has FI been willing to check bags all the way to final destination?
I booked a UK-US 50 minute connection on seperate tickets. (Had mobile boarding passes).

NO IMMIGRATION (or checks or anything for that matter)

Landed with a jet bridge walked off and immediately in gate area. Walk to new gate in 2-3 mins. Boarded the next plane (bus). I was on the second flight probably only 5 minutes after getting off first. Painless transfer. KEF was a great airport for that.
royng and LA to PDX like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.