Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by iahphx
It's impossible to know for sure, but I think your odds are good. I'd be more worried about AFTER summer.

I just hope you paid little for your flights. I have family members (who didn't consult me) who bought tickets on Norwegian when they could have gotten the same deal (or better) on one of the major carriers. As most folks here know, if you're a little flexible and you watch the fares on sites like secretflying and theflightdeal, it's usually not hard to get a cheap transatlantic fare on a major carrier (and, of course, there are many ways for Americans to game the credit card sign-ups for free flights). So now my family members have to worry about their trip for no good reason. That's why no one else should be buying Norwegian tickets now unless the deal is truly incredible. Which, of course, will be ANOTHER revenue problem for Norwegian!
I've been watching fares LHR-LAX-LHR for Christmas 2019 - Norwegian are consistently undercutting all the other airlines so there is scope to increase fares and still be the cheapest.

That said, I'd rather walk/swim than fly Norwegian, how they handle irrops is one reason, the other is they charge for in flight meals.
af fp and 4sallypat like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
That said, I'd rather walk/swim than fly Norwegian, how they handle irrops is one reason, the other is they charge for in flight meals.
Preferring to walk/swim rather than pay for an inflight meal seems rather odd. A lot of people used to say that when the shorthaul flight revolution started, but I don't see many of them walking/swimming these days.
farci likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Preferring to walk/swim rather than pay for an inflight meal seems rather odd. A lot of people used to say that when the shorthaul flight revolution started, but I don't see many of them walking/swimming these days.
I did also mention about how the handle irrops which is a far bigger factor. The meal, while annoying, is something I have a level of control over.

I also refuse to fly Ryanair for the same reason.
af fp likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Norwegian's US-Caribbean routes won't be coming back. That experiment is to be over.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I've been watching fares LHR-LAX-LHR for Christmas 2019 - Norwegian are consistently undercutting all the other airlines so there is scope to increase fares and still be the cheapest.

I avoid Norwegian long-haul due in part to their IRROPS handling.

For short-haul, I choose Norwegian rather often as they aren't any worse than what I get from say SK or BA and the routes on which I choose them don't seem to have major IRROPS problems.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All boils down to the fact that the cheapest ticket may nor be the least expensive journey.

At a minimum, I would not purchase a DY ticket without hedging the savings with a travel interruption policy which unequivocally covers IRROPS, new tickets, and other associated costs.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Let's say an airline X has a probability of 10% of going out of business by the time you are scheduled to fly with them...

Just calculate 10% x estimated cost of dealing with that, and you can figure out what makes sense vs. alternatives. Easy as that?

FWIW, I have taken a number of flights with Norwegian over the years, including OSL-JFK in their premium cabin. They have been just fine.

IRROPS is possibly a different story - then again, that can be a hassle with any airline.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by GFrye
But it won't cover the cost of a new last-minute ticket if Norwegian folds.
I believe that return tickets booked ex-DK include an insurance premium, meaning that the Danish government (or someone) pays what it costs to rebook your flight if the bankruptcy estate doesn't do this.

Many countries offer similar protection if you book a package tour (flights+hotel).
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Norwegian's US-Caribbean routes won't be coming back. That experiment is to be over.
This surprises me. The fares out of NY are pretty high and they have no real competition because flying to Martinique or Guadeloupe with any other airline involves long connections and even higher fares. My issue with them were the times: the trip ate a whole day both ways, I would even have preferred redeyes. Also the low-cost terminal in Guadeloupe sucks and of course the service and entertainment onboard are low cost. And there is no premium class. They could have done a better job.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Some person
I believe that return tickets booked ex-DK include an insurance premium, meaning that the Danish government (or someone) pays what it costs to rebook your flight if the bankruptcy estate doesn't do this.

Many countries offer similar protection if you book a package tour (flights+hotel).
It works mostly differently in the “land of the free and the home of the brave” — the travel service providers are more free to not do such things for US consumers, and the customers brave the risk of insolvency with no direct governmental or travel industry protection.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:26 am

Sad to see the Caribbean routes go as I’ve used them 5 times in total (4 X to Guadeloupe and once to Martinique). But if you’ve been paying any attention over the past year it’s been pretty obvious that the end was near at least for these routes.

Like the Norwegian spokesperson stated, the routes did fairly well but with all the additional cost of crew and base it wasn’t very viable.

In regards to pricing, I never spent over $525 w/ bag fees included for two people in total. The price was insane and quite frankly I’m shocked they were able to keep it going for this long.

To all the finance users of the board, reading all the additional tea leaves, on a scale from 1-10, how concerned should I be using them the first week of April? I’m heading over to Barcelona and rolled the dice as the price was again to good to pass up as a budget travel. EWR to BCN direct to be exactly.

I booked on on my credit card of course so I’m not too concerned about getting my money back if they fold, but this situation that their in has prevented me from being able to lock down the rest of my accommodations (Airbnb and ticket to Barca Vs Atleti game).

All in all, do you guys think they’ll be in play until then? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:09 am

I have tickets YUL to FDF for 7 people in a weeks time. Of course I have good travel insurance, and if they fail before then I can come up with a last minute trip. But obviously that would be a very unpleasant thing to deal with, and time consuming for sure.

I honestly cannot see them hanging on much longer. I have resisted the temptation to fall for their many recent sales. Seeing them as a way to rake in money to stave off the wolves at the door.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeityAllah

All in all, do you guys think they’ll be in play until then? Thanks in advance!
The problem is, that an airline that is known to be in financial trouble, is like a run on the bank. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as people pull out so it's going to be a difficult thing to predict when or if they will fail.

FWIW, I hope Norwegian do survive as they do have a deflationary impact on airfares on the routes they operate.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
There has never been a successful low cost airline flying across the Atlantic. Which isn't to say it's impossible, but it's very hard. There's a reason why all the major airlines fight for the premium class pax on these routes. That's where the money is made.

In Norwegian's case, the management mistakes have been mind-boggling. Not only did they embrace a dubious concept, but they did it at a break-neck pace from secondary airports on tertiary routes where their prospects were the bleakest. The proper course of business, if they believed their model could work, was start slow, refine the product and see what happens. Instead, they went all out on a strategy that couldn't possibly work. Why anyone gave money to these guys to do this is even more mind-boggling than the business plan.
Never? Generations of students flew Icelandic to LUX for their European adventures. I don't know how you qualify success, but this LCC seemed to last for a long time, although I guess we can quibble about whether it was a charter operation.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:01 am

You are worrying about a week from now? I have Tampa to London May 29th and Rome to Newark June 7th. I'm giving myself a 60% chance of those flights ever happening....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.