Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
FYI, regardless of what people may think of him, Michael O'Leary (CEO Ryanair) gave an interesting interview on BBC the other day, saying that in a usual month, they processed around 10000 refunds with full staff in that department. As of April, they have 30 Million refunds so far to process, with about 10% of that staff working because of lockdown. The numbers sound plausible.
This is BS!
Ryanair didn't even take more than 24 hours to dispute a chargeback request. Ryanair has provided the card issueing bank with a 20-page statement, with screenshots of the booking tools with the specific booking details.
What it tells me -> there is enough staff there to access the critical systems.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by warakorn
This is BS!
Ryanair didn't even take more than 24 hours to dispute a chargeback request. Ryanair has provided the card issueing bank with a 20-page statement, with screenshots of the booking tools with the specific booking details.
To some extend, MOL is right, their processing capacity is probably not built for this situation. However, rather than try to increase capacity in the refund process they just let it flow.

But they still put all the usual resources in to fighting charge backs. Based on their normal business model, I would imagine that is a department that has always been very well built.
GUWonder and irishguy28 like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
This is BS!
When an airline is contacted by a credit card company about a chargeback, they are going to access, or be quickly elevated up to, someone far higher up in the company than the worker bees on the lowest rung, busy processing refunds or dealing with mundane customer queries.

Besides, it is in Ryanair's own interests to prioritise and deal swiftly with such queries from a credit card company, as these companies have the means to withhold monies.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:17 pm

This is BS!
Different department altogether.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:53 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum

Norwegian Air's lessors including China's BOC take main ownership
Lessors including China’s BOC Aviation are now the biggest shareholders in Norwegian Air after the budget carrier completed a debt restructuring and secured a long-sought credit guarantee from Norway’s government.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...main-ownership
Old May 21, 2020, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by 1999driver
It has been a while now, but have you gotten your refund?
Yes, we received full refunds for both legs of our cancelled flights about two weeks after receiving email notice from the airline that refunds would be coming.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:15 am
Suspended

Different department altogether.
Well, then this other department seems to be well-staffed and has access to all the relevant systems -> hence, FR could reshuffle them.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Well, then this other department seems to be well-staffed and has access to all the relevant systems -> hence, FR could reshuffle them.
Which they may not have a great interest in doing. As the department handling and disputing charge backs are probably also quite busy at the moment. FR will deploy the resources where they see the greatest benefit for FR.
​​​​​​
farci likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Originally Posted by Umbrella
Yes, we received full refunds for both legs of our cancelled flights about two weeks after receiving email notice from the airline that refunds would be coming.
We just started to get refunds as well. Cancelled on May 4, refund requested May 4, first refund to CC was on May 21. Still 2 more legs, but got the first leg so far.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:36 am

I also received refund this week from May 2-18 SFO-BCN-SFO flights. Norwegian cancelled and I requested refund on 4/7. I received email that they processed my refund on 5/19 and credit card shows credit dated 5/20. Friends who I think cancelled well before me and before Norwegian cancelled received refund and refund email a week or so ahead of me. I had joined Facebook group Norwegian Airline Experiences from Hell where it seems like a lot of people received refunds this week, but there are also people with mid-March cancellation who have not.
Old May 23, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Which they may not have a great interest in doing. As the department handling and disputing charge backs are probably also quite busy at the moment. FR will deploy the resources where they see the greatest benefit for FR.
Of course.
However, keeping the chargeback department fully staffed with full system access shows that FR and MOL are lying.

FYI, regardless of what people may think of him, Michael O'Leary (CEO Ryanair) gave an interesting interview on BBC the other day, saying that in a usual month, they processed around 10000 refunds with full staff in that department. As of April, they have 30 Million refunds so far to process, with about 10% of that staff working because of lockdown. The numbers sound plausible.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:27 pm

However, keeping the chargeback department fully staffed with full system access shows that FR and MOL are lying.
Responding quickly to chargebacks does not mean the department is fully staffed, and the number of chargebacks received may be an order of magnitude lower than refunds anyway making it easier to keep staffed.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by STony
I also received refund this week from May 2-18 SFO-BCN-SFO flights. Norwegian cancelled and I requested refund on 4/7. I received email that they processed my refund on 5/19 and credit card shows credit dated 5/20. Friends who I think cancelled well before me and before Norwegian cancelled received refund and refund email a week or so ahead of me. I had joined Facebook group Norwegian Airline Experiences from Hell where it seems like a lot of people received refunds this week, but there are also people with mid-March cancellation who have not.
It sounds like Norwegian's disbursing some of their bailout money. Prior to that, I imagine that there wasn't money to cover all of the refunds due.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Norwegian Air unsure over pandemic recovery timing
Published: May 28, 2020
N
orwegian Air Shuttle ASA said Thursday that it is unclear how the coronavirus pandemic will continue to develop or when the airline industry and the company will recover to baseline levels.

In a trading update, the budget carrier reported a first-quarter pretax loss of 3.28 billion Norwegian kroner ($331.7 million) from a loss of NOK1.98 billion as revenue fell 19% to NOK6.51 billion, amid an abrupt drop in demand due to Covid-19 in mid-March, significant effects from currency revaluations and unrealized losses on jet-fuel hedge contracts.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/no...ing-2020-05-28
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by rove312
I was hearing different things about how long to allow for the refund to come through before contacting Chase. I finally contacted them on April 23 for a cancellation done March 12 (I declined a change of departure airport on the same day that DY cancelled Rome service). Although the contact was done in the Secure Messages area of Chase, an email today notified me of a reply in their Statements & Documents area. It said they're researching the matter and to save any relevant documents (Norwegian, well after the cancellation, let me call up and save a document with the reservation showing the flights as cancelled).

The Chase email includes "You do not have to pay for any disputed amount(s) while we research the dispute." Even though that was paid months ago, it helps solve one mystery. My mid-April statement had a balance, and nothing was credited back since then, but when I paid at the end of the month as usual, the site said no payment was due. I paid the statement balance anyway, worried that they were tricking me into owing interest. I see that I didn't owe it because of the amount in dispute.
That was my post from May 11. Today, June 2, I find the amount credited back, and Chase wrote to me that it's a temporary credit while they dispute the matter, and it will stay if Norwegian doesn't respond during the next two billing periods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.