Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...d-tickets/amp/

That’s Forbes on what Norwegian is doing and why. Let’s see how long it is until the free internet on board DY gets hit too by Norwegian’s rush to profits.

With these kind of airline changes hitting its customers, DY becomes less attractive to me than it has been for short-haul service.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Previously, Norwegian allowed all passengers regardless of ticket type to bring a cabin bag of up to 10kg on board free of charge. There were no restrictions on placement. The new rules still allow for a bag of 10kg, as long as it is small enough. The change brings Norwegian into line with many of its European low-cost competitors such as Ryanair and WizzAir.
Hardly a major or significant change IMHO.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Hardly a major or significant change IMHO.
Nothing is a major or significant change when not flying the carrier much if at all.

It's a significant (and negative) change for me, and I'm someone who has had some months where I flew DY short-haul flights more times a month than there are days in the month. I buy most of my DY tickets within 24 hours or less of my travel, but most of them are the "low" fares. Even the DY tickets which I buy en route to the airports are most commonly the kind of tickets that are going to be hit by this customer-unfriendly DY cabin baggage crackdown.

Also, these LCC kind of moves eventually get replicated by the legacy majors, as there tends to be convergence between what passengers in the main get on legacy majors and what they get on LCCs of sorts in the same markets.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
We use DY a ton also (over the ocean), and while its always a bummer to see either "unbundling" or additional fees, I'm more concerned that they survive and thrive, rather than disappear, so I can get my head around the whole cabin bag issue.

Even with them modifying their cabin bag policy, for long haul, they are still an incredible value. Inside Europe, they have a ton of competition, and we tend to use Ryanair or Easyjet more often, mostly because of their flight schedules and city pair combinations work better for us. But would not hesitate to use Norwegian for any flight, as we're had uniformly excellent experience with them on dozens of flights.

Also, this thread talks about their viability, which I think is probably better than its ever been. I already bought two sets of tickets for May on DY, and another set for June, with many more coming.

Also waiting to see what their interline agreement with Jetblue actually becomes, if anything.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:34 pm
Suspended

In DY’s quest to make money, there are things that they can do which will cost them
my money. Hassling me over cabin baggage when and where “the competition” doesn’t do the same thing? Then I am likely to give my travel bucks to an airline that won’t do this kind of shakedown.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:43 am

I hope they don't pull the LGW to TPA route, I flew Norwegian for the first time in Premium economy at the beginning of December, it cost me around £900 for a return flight, VS the usual £1500-£1600 I'd usually pay BA for their business class and it was a much better experience than BA.

Given that BA and Norwegian are the only direct flights to tampa from England, I hope norwegian keeps the route going, the plane was nearly full on both trips.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by AdamPD
I hope they don't pull the LGW to TPA route, I flew Norwegian for the first time in Premium economy at the beginning of December, it cost me around £900 for a return flight, VS the usual £1500-£1600 I'd usually pay BA for their business class and it was a much better experience than BA.

Given that BA and Norwegian are the only direct flights to tampa from England, I hope norwegian keeps the route going, the plane was nearly full on both trips.
I hope for your sake that they keep the route. However, full planes are no indication. I flew Norwegian between CPH-MCO and CPH-FLL at least 14-16 times in the last 3-4 years. Rarely was there an empty seat anywhere. Yet they have cancelled all TATL flights from CPH.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I hope for your sake that they keep the route. However, full planes are no indication. I flew Norwegian between CPH-MCO and CPH-FLL at least 14-16 times in the last 3-4 years. Rarely was there an empty seat anywhere. Yet they have cancelled all TATL flights from CPH.
I've been doing pretty much the same thing you have, except most of my flights have been to and from MCO. My last 6 flights have been through either OSL or LGW and as much as I hate to admit it the strategy of concentrating on fewer European cities may not be a bad idea. I don't like having to connect but it seems like the delays and aircraft substitutions that Gatwick used to have are largely gone.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:12 pm

We flew SK and connected in ORD eastbound and IAD westbound on our last trip. It was bearable, but I really missed the direct flight. Luckily, our trips will be fewer going forward, so we'll just find the best routing at the time we have to travel.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As a cost cutting measure, Norwegian has removed lounge access on Premium Flex tickets as well.

Of course they have not made a big thing out of those change. Why would they. But if you look at the services listed for Premium flights, lounge access has disappeared.

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-...premium-cabin/
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

They had mentioned last year that they were unbundling lounge access from Premium cabin tickets except for Premium Flex, so I had expected this being pulled from Premium Flex was just a matter of time.

For much the same reason, I am assuming that it’s just a matter of time until Norwegian economy class flex tickets too are subject to included cabin baggage allowance being gutted and being given back for a separate surcharge to the customer regardless of ticket type for the cabin. €8-12 for cabin baggage isn’t much but it’s still an unwelcome development for me, more unwelcome by me than the lounge cutback (as the latter is a cutback that doesn’t hit me and hits fewer than the cabin baggage game).
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
They had mentioned last year that they were unbundling lounge access from Premium cabin tickets except for Premium Flex, so I had expected this being pulled from Premium Flex was just a matter of time.

For much the same reason, I am assuming that it’s just a matter of time until Norwegian economy class flex tickets too are subject to included cabin baggage allowance being gutted and being given back for a separate surcharge to the customer regardless of ticket type for the cabin. €8-12 for cabin baggage isn’t much but it’s still an unwelcome development for me, more unwelcome by me than the lounge cutback (as the latter is a cutback that doesn’t hit me and hits fewer than the cabin baggage game).
Do you think that carry on will be limited for short haul eco flex tickets? DY have built up a good business traveller market in the Nordic region that they would p..s off nightly by doing this

I don't know their revenue balance, but for most airline segmentation it is one of the more lucrative segments, and one you'd not want too rock the boat to harshly with.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 26, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They've likely cottoned on to the fact that people don't fly them for the lounge and thus getting rid of it won't materially change sales. On the other hand, not having to pay the lounge operator is a cash savings for the carrier and that is helpful when one is barely making it.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Do you think that carry on will be limited for short haul eco flex tickets? DY have built up a good business traveller market in the Nordic region that they would p..s off nightly by doing this

I don't know their revenue balance, but for most airline segmentation it is one of the more lucrative segments, and one you'd not want too rock the boat to harshly with.
My expectations is it’s just a matter of when they decide to do so.

Shaking down business travelers in economy cabins over luggage of any or all sorts isn’t beyond Norwegian and other airlines .... even legacy majors. Business travelers can often expense the cabin baggage and checked baggage fees, so going after travelers using OPM shouldn’t be assumed as sacrilege in this market.

For what it’s worth I’ve never had problems finding overhead space for my cabin baggage on DY flights on routes where Norwegian and SAS both had same-day non-stop service for the city pairs. The same can’t be said of some of my SAS intra-Europe flights.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If one is desperate for the cash, there is an immediate problem. Whether that hurts the brand through loss of long-term customer loyalty may be the least of the problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.