Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 11:50 am

If you book through a European travel agency and add a hotel or a car to the booking, then you are protected as the travel agency has to rebook you if the airline shuts down.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Some person
If you book through a European travel agency and add a hotel or a car to the booking, then you are protected as the travel agency has to rebook you if the airline shuts down.
Even for trips that are yet to start?
Old May 6, 2019, 4:31 pm

Likely planning to fly CDG-OAK in late Sept but I've just been waiting and watching, assuming cheap premium would remain available (with possible fire sale pricing at some point) but improbably, discount premium has disappeared for a bunch of dates and it's just Flex at this point. Seat map looks like 17/35 filled for the date I'm eyeing. I'm hoping the price drops back at some point to ~$800 but if it's staying at $1,179, we may consider another option (connecting through MAN on MT is $550 for what looks like a similar premium product).
Old May 7, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: TrueBlue
Interesting. We're planning on about 2 weeks touring around Italy and had planned to rent a car (there will be multiple different hotel stays).

So, can someone recommend an agency that will issue Norwegian tickets and guarantee the trip if I also rent a car for the duration? I'd planned on insurance but I *do* appreciate the head-up about just being reimbursed instead of being re-booked.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:36 am

This may not be the best option but you could put in an upgrade bid. Of course, you'll then have to wait until whenever they process those (T-36?) to see if you get it. I seem to recall there's even a slider that will give you feedback as to your percentage chance that the bid will be accepted. Of course that's meaningless but I seem to recall some text at least. I've flown out of OAK on Norwegian a few times (3 or 4) and I known I've been offered an upsell at the airport at least twice for like 500USD. I haven't seen that ex-Europe. I have also tried the bidding thing with the minimum bid (roughly 200USD I think) and naturally THAT wasn't accepted.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:29 pm

I flew LGW-JFK earlier this week and the flight was no more than 1/3 full. Had an entire row (9 across!) to myself. I don't see how it's possible they could be solvent into 2020. That being said, it was an excellent flight! They'll be sorely missed if they do eventually go the way of WOW.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by swested
I flew LGW-JFK earlier this week and the flight was no more than 1/3 full. Had an entire row (9 across!) to myself. I don't see how it's possible they could be solvent into 2020. That being said, it was an excellent flight! They'll be sorely missed if they do eventually go the way of WOW.
Norwegian is having issues on at least its long-haul routes out of the UK, and, using some excuse or another, they have asked flight crews to reduce their work hours or take unpaid leave.

But it does still happen at times that I see entire rows available for US-Europe/Europe-US flights on legacy major airlines too.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:40 am

According to Danish newspaper ExtraBladet, the Norwegian flight (787) from Copenhagen to Orlando yesterday was diverted to Goose Bay, Canada due to an engine failure. Not sure if they are still there or when they will be on their way again.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by SusanDK
According to Danish newspaper ExtraBladet, the Norwegian flight (787) from Copenhagen to Orlando yesterday was diverted to Goose Bay, Canada due to an engine failure. Not sure if they are still there or when they will be on their way again.
Correct, as shown by this flight tracker: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NAX7055
The aircraft tail number is LN-LNB (for those that want to track the aircraft).

I don't know if Goose Bay has the facilities to change out the engine. If not, they'll need to do a single engine ferry to a maintenance facility that has the proper equipment to perform an engine change - Montreal may be the closest facility to fly the aircraft to. This would require pilots certified to do single engine ferries. Needless to say, the aircraft would be empty for the ferry.
If they're able to replace the engine in Goose, they'll need to get a spare engine and maintenance personnel to Goose. It will probably be faster to just ferry the plane to a location that has a spare engine rather than bring in personnel/equipment.

This plane (LN-LNB) should be repaired and flying again within a few days. I would expect Norwegian to fly in another aircraft to pick up the stranded passengers - there isn't much in the way of facilities in/around Goose Bay.

For those concerned about the Boeing 787, this is a known problem with the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines. It is not a Boeing 787 issue per se, as Boeing 787s with GE GEnx engines have had no engine reliability issues. I've flown the 787 with GEnx engines and I love the aircraft … it is the nicest passenger aircraft that I've flown.

Edit: for those geeks interested in Trent 1000 problems, here's a link to a YouTube video that explains the issues:
SusanDK likes this.

Last edited by iflyjetz; May 14, 2019 at 7:40 am
Old May 14, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: none (RIP AirTran)
I just received notice that my flight MCO-LGW in early June will be handled by another carrier. Does anyone have any idea what substitute carrier that DY is using for that sort of thing?
Old May 14, 2019, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CitrusMCO
I just received notice that my flight MCO-LGW in early June will be handled by another carrier. Does anyone have any idea what substitute carrier that DY is using for that sort of thing?
Hi Fly A340

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norweg...ing-this-week/
Old May 15, 2019, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swested
That surprises me, and obviously doesn't bode well for Norwegian. This month, I've been flying between the NYC airports and LHR and I've been amazed by the demand. I don't consider this to be peak season yet, but I've been flying at off peak times (like midweek, and flights departing after 4 pm from LHR) and the flights are 100% full. I would think Norwegian could sell its seats, too (perhaps not at a profit, but sell them nonetheless). I know Gatwick is always considered less desirable, but I would think budget travellers would often pick the lower fare (and, honestly, the extra expense/inconvenience of getting to LGW isn't that great). Before reading your comment, I would have bet that Norwegian's short term future was MORE secure simply because it seems almost impossible this summer to lose money on transatlantic flights due to incredible demand. But maybe I'm wrong about that.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:48 am

DY to reduce US flights significantly during winter 2019/2020.

DY are finalizing the winter schedules.
Following the route cut earlier this year, DY are preparing more cuts during the 2019/2020 winter, according to a Norwegian Financial newspaper (e24): https://e24.no/boers-og-finans/norwegian-air-shuttle/norwegian-forbereder-langdistansekutt-fra-skandinavia-til-usa-til-vinteren/24619273
All CPH-US flights will be cancelled
Most ARN-US flights will be cancelled (FLL-ARN should remain)
Most OSL-US flights will be cancelled (FLL-OSL and NYC-OSL should remain)
LGW-ORD, LGW-DEN and LGW-SEA should be cancelled.
Program should be presented in the coming weeks!
Old May 15, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: TrueBlue
I bought my BOS-FCO tickets last night (September departure). I elected to go with Aer Lingus and change planes in Dublin. For 3 people, I saved about $225 r/t on the cost of the tickets alone. I investigated travel insurance that would include "Financial interruption" from the carrier and that would have cost an additional $200. As much as I'm a fan of Norwegian's product, and I've flown with them several times over the years, I'm not staking my one big vacation on their financial stability (or lack thereof).

Last edited by djplong; May 15, 2019 at 5:51 am Reason: Fix airport code
Old May 15, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The larger issue is that when these cancellations occur, passengers are advised that they may either have a refund or a reroute to or from another location. When SNN ended, passengers were offered DUB. If a passenger takes the refund, replacing the SNN flight as we move into high season can become a great deal more expensive.

The major reason to fly DY is that its fares are low. This suggests a budget traveler who will be hit particularly hard or will be unable to afford travel if shifted off to some other carrier during high season. Unless booking very close in, it seems that the risks of booking DY include having to be uncomfortably flexible or be willing to spend a good deal more money than one would have had to spend back when advance purchase seats were available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.