Norwegian vs BA summer booking

Old Jan 2, 19, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Norwegian vs BA summer booking

I've flew Norwegian Sept 2018 LAX-ARN and OSL-LAX and had a good experience. paid for Premium fare - wife and I loved the comfort - Had no problems at all.

Looking at a July 2019 booking to CPH and return in August 2019. Been lurking and seeing a lot of caution on Norwegian.
I'm currently looking at two similarly priced itineraries to CPH.

British Airways: SAN - LHR - CPH
Norwegian: SAN - LAX - CPH

We flew the BA flight from SAN to LHR (777) Premium Econo and it was the worst PE we've flown. Nothing compared to the Norwegian Premium.

I think I know the answer, but should we chance booking the Norwegian itinerary vs. just sucking it up and going the BA route?
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is all a matter of risk tolerance.

Best case, it continues to operate and operates your route and all is well. Worst case is that it is either insolvent or has dropped your route in which case, presuming that you have paid with a credit card, you will have your funds returned to you. What a BA ticket costs at that point is hard to predict.

I think you know that only you can make this judgment based on your own circumstances.
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Follow-up to this thread: I noticed Norwegian seems to withholding the Premium fare class in favor PremiumFlex on this route during most of July and August. Not sure if it's because of their business woes and/or popularity of the route during that time. A cursory look at the seat plan using PremiumFlex shows an empty Premium cabin though.

This common practice? I'm guessing they'll open Premium when it gets closer and especially if they haven't sold any PremiumFlex fares?
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tbostrom View Post
Follow-up to this thread: I noticed Norwegian seems to withholding the Premium fare class in favor PremiumFlex on this route during most of July and August. Not sure if it's because of their business woes and/or popularity of the route during that time. A cursory look at the seat plan using PremiumFlex shows an empty Premium cabin though.

This common practice? I'm guessing they'll open Premium when it gets closer and especially if they haven't sold any PremiumFlex fares?
Not sure. I've been watching the fare of the date I booked (one way, the other way I am using Virgin Atlantic Reward redemption). The flight is not full and they just dropped the LowFare+ from $419 to $335. But still no Premium available, only PremiumFlex. (also booked the Hilton London Banskide during the winter sale at 164, which recently dropped to 141 for my dates). You win some you lose some. Should have waited, but was worried about a rush (the eurostar and the Virgin Atlantic availability were going down),
Old Jan 4, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat
I'm due to head to the US on Norwegian next week. Its a large group and I've been a bit of a nervous wreck with all this talk of Norwegian.
If it was just for the family, I'd book and make sure there are some flexible/refundable hotel just in case it all goes Pete tong.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It is all a matter of risk tolerance.

Best case, it continues to operate and operates your route and all is well. Worst case is that it is either insolvent or has dropped your route in which case, presuming that you have paid with a credit card, you will have your funds returned to you. What a BA ticket costs at that point is hard to predict.

I think you know that only you can make this judgment based on your own circumstances.
On the bolded portion of your post, I disagree. The price will increase considerably.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: