Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Rumors (again!)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Norwegian Rumors (again!)

A lot in the current press on Norwegian getting very close to the edge on some bond covenants in the next week or two and needing cash in a big hurry. Obviously the mess at LGW must not have helped!

I know there were some posters on here who had taken a pretty close look at the company finances and IAG's interest. What do you all think?

I have an LAX-LGW with them in mid Jan. and hoping they can come up with a plan!

Obviously Jan and Feb are brutal for TATL routes and the probable losses may make then want to stay on the ground. Would be a shame to see them go away.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:43 am

It definitely does not look good, hard to imagine how they can pull it together.

have flights YUL - FDF booked for May. All along I have felt that this trip might go pear shaped due to Norwegian. It would be too bad, but better they go under before we fly, not during the trip.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
There were many warnings on this website. Heck, Norwegian's last conference call had so many red flags that I thought it was being held in a flag factory doing a run of Chinese flags.

So instead of booking a deeply discounted rate on a solvent carrier, some have decided to roll the bones and book on Norwegian.

As far as Norwegian's future, they will close their doors like every TATL LCC before them. What these TATL LCCs do is set unrealistic expectations among the public that airfares should be as low as offered by Norwegian, in spite of the fact that Norwegian's fares are well below breakeven. It also destabilizes solvent air carriers due to those carriers having to lower ticket prices below their breakeven in order to compete.

The very best thing for the stability of low, reasonably priced tickets is for Norwegian and WoW to close their doors as quickly as possible. With any luck, it will happen before the New Year.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
... instead of booking a deeply discounted rate on a solvent carrier, ...
My wife and I chose to do this. We got tickets on an Air NZ round trip itinerary in Y from LAX to LHR in March 2019 for the same price as Norwegian is selling tickets today (to LGW). I have a lot more confidence that Air NZ will actually be able to operate the flights we booked though...
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by cautiousjon
My wife and I chose to do this. We got tickets on an Air NZ round trip itinerary in Y from LAX to LHR in March 2019 for the same price as Norwegian is selling tickets today (to LGW). I have a lot more confidence that Air NZ will actually be able to operate the flights we booked though...
That, my friend, is the smartest way to play this game. Just watch what happens to Air NZ's ticket prices once Norwegian folds its tent.

As a bonus, the GBP/USD exchange rate is extremely low so the rest of your vacation will be much cheaper than a year ago.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This.

In addition, DY does not interline with the other TATL carriers and won't rebook on other carriers in IRROPS, it openly defies "duty of care" requirements under EC 261/2004, and many have dreadful experiences with delay compensation. As DY's cash position worsens, paying out cash compensation will become all the more difficult.

It may represent value for someone with a very flexible schedule if the savings are great. But, the cheapest ticket is not necessarily the cheapest journey.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

It may represent value for someone with a very flexible schedule if the savings are great. But, the cheapest ticket is not necessarily the cheapest journey.
This is totally my feeling when it comes to booking with them. I have lots of time and I have a credit card. Up until now I have saved thousands flying with Norwegian. I may get burned on my next trip in March. But I can afford to get stranded abroad, that is not everybody's situation.

I also only book direct flights, never would consider an onward flight after a D8 flight.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
I flew the closing days of People Express, Panam and even a couple of Laker flights so not so worried .... feels like Norwegian have momentum and should find a partner or something survivable. We will see, bit of a perfect storm in the markets though.

With pretty much any airline a plan B is a good idea. In case anyone does not have a plan, do take a look at the rather sobering walkup one way fares from the West Coast to Europe or back on the majors ahead of time.

Do not forget last minute (almost literally) frequent flyer tickets, in the case of United, 30K miles each way plus taxes are almost always available. There are often round trips that are cheaper than one ways too, for a throwaway fare.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Booked my first flight for February 2019 a couple weeks ago. Will be watching closely.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:06 am

They seem to be set for the first half of 2019:

https://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/samf...te-fly/7451362 (in Danish)
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SusanDK

“All set for the first half of 2019” is a bit of a stretch. Maybe January and half of Feb.
​​​​​​​
There's another thread that’s been covering Norwegian’s financial woes for the last 2 years. I’ve just posted on there.

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

I’ve read today’s announcement in English. Most of it is regurgitating previous cost cutting initiatives. There’s one bit of news which is refinancing of one Dreamliner, which helps a little but overall not much.

And what company makes such an announcement on Christmas Eve if it isn’t in deep doggy doo doo?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK

What it says is that DY has secured money for all aircraft which are due to be delivered during the first half of 2019.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
They are just buying time for themselves. It just pushes the debt, which isn't going to go away, further down the road. Will be interesting to see what happens, though.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
I am booked for late Feb. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:55 am
pxm

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
I am booked for late Feb. Keeping fingers crossed.
I am booked next week and also crossing my fingers. I am not sure if I would book any travel with them again - there is nothing worse than uncertainty when traveling with family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.