Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Need quick advice re Thomas Cook premium economy, reliability, rebooking, etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need quick advice re Thomas Cook premium economy, reliability, rebooking, etc?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Need quick advice re Thomas Cook premium economy, reliability, rebooking, etc?

My wife might fly Thomas Cook in premium economy next June, San Francisco-Manchester-Amsterdam. Even though it's far off, we need to nail down her arrangements sooner rather than later. So I'd welcome any quick advice re any of these matters:

1. How reliable is the airline, as in chances of cancellation and big delays?
2. Any experience with whether and how well it rebooks in case of cancellations? I saw one thread here at FT indicating that it rebooked someone onto LH, though did a lousy job of notifying the poster.
3. Any impressions, positive or negative, re premium economy?
4. Her onward flight MAN- AMS would be on a De Havilland Canada DHC-8-400 Dash 8Q turbo-prop. Any experience with this plane?
5. The company seems to have a reasonable option of paying $70 for being able to cancel more than 24 hours before the flight. Any experience with this?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I avoid charter airlines like the plague. One IRROP and there is no fleet to provide another or it's 5,000 miles away and they are generally loath to pay for a ticket on a real airline to accommodate a planeload of passengers all paying peanuts. And PE is on one version of one aircraft, so if it's unavailable you fly coach or not at all. Don't know how good or unbiased Skytrax is but they rate 5/10. 3/10 for seats. Mostly in Y those judgments. 35" pitch in PE vs 31" in coach. Trustpilot rates them 73% "bad". Airline Ratings.com 4.2/10.

As for PE remember ABC = Anything (is) Better (than) Coach. So it must be better. But might be closer to coach on a scheduled airline (looks like a bit less than a US domestic J seat) . Depends on how they cram people into coach, then add 3-4 inches to that, and a hot or better meal. I suspect drinks are free anyway.

The Dash series are one of the most reliable short field airplanes in the world, but narrow with narrow seats (though LuxAir have an actual business class row of seats). Rather fly a Dash than an ATR which sound like they are falling apart every second.

If the fare is $50 then it's a lot. If the fare is $2,000 then it's a pretty small fee if you get 100% of the money back. CX for instance, charges $150 or $200 for a cancel, admittedly on a $6,000 fare.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A belated thanks for this useful reply. Unfortunately, by the time you posted it I'd already bitten the bullet and purchased the ticket. (Not blaming you at all, to be clear. I just saw the price of the ticket starting to increase and decided to take the risk.) You're quite right in what you've said about the seat and the risks involved. The premium economy seat is indeed better than coach on any airline, 35" pitch with some basic in-seat IFE in a 2-3-2 set-up, though to be on the safe side I think she'll bring her own food with her. But those risks remain. And FWIW, the cancellation fee is at least 150 GBP (and maybe more), not the $70 I'd previously stated.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Do you mean their "Premium class" (7 across on an A330) or Economy Plus? I'm going to assume "Premium Class". So, it looks about as roomy as the Premium Economy in most of the other transatlantic airlines.

Thomas Cook is a well-established airline that's had a reasonably (by airline standards) stable business for a while. So they don't have the problem of having a bigger timetable than their fleet can fly, or always hoping the new aircraft is delivered in time so they don't have to cancel the route (ahem, Norwegian, Woe I mean Wow, etc). They do work their fleet hard, as they mainly do lower margin leisure travel. In the end, I don't think they'll be much less reliable than, say, Icelandair and they're less likely to go bust in the next few months like Wow.

A Q400 is a somewhat cramped turboprop, but it's no more cramped than the average regional jet in the USA. Note that rather like regional jets in the USA, if you're the sort of traveller with a max size carryon and ancillary bags, you won't be able to get those into the cabin. Who is operating that Q400 flight? FlyBe?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:31 pm

Experienced Thomas Cook Premium on a return flight to JFK in 2017. Overall, the experience was pleasant, and in par with BAs premium economy offering.

You recive a welcome drink, complementary drinks throughout, a tasty (James Martin) main meal and a light snack before landing.

The amenties are basic but functional. There is a limited IFE system, but enough for shorter flights from the US. They also provide a basic amenity kit with toothbrush, toiletries etc.

Seat wise, I am 2m tall, and found the seats to have a good amount of pitch.

Overall it was a pleasant experience!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for this useful, encouraging info, folks. (Yes, indeed, it is Premium in 2-3-2 on the 330.) I realize we're still running something of a risk, but it's still good to know about the positive experiences and impressions.

As for the A400, it is Flybe. My wife is masterful at packing light and this is a shortish summer trip as well, so she probably won't have problems with its baggage limits.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:05 am

How long is the connection in MAN?

Flybe and Thomas Cook are located in separate terminals (3 and 1 respectively). The connection process at MAN can often be quite inefficient.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by BAW94
How long is the connection in MAN?

Flybe and Thomas Cook are located in separate terminals (3 and 1 respectively). The connection process at MAN can often be quite inefficient.
Thanks for letting me know about this. The connection is about 3.5 hours. And she'd just have carry-on luggage.

I'd like to ask a related question: There's another, earlier MAN-AMS flight on KLM that she could take about two hours after arriving in MAN. I'm thinking of booking that for her since it would cost very little as a combination of miles and $$ and so she could get to AMS about 1.5 earlier (which would be somewhat advantageous, since she's flying in for a mini-reunion with friends who are based in Den Haag). I'd imagine that this would not be a problem for Thomas Cook or Flybe - she simply would be a no-show for the Flybe flight. Assuming she makes the KLM connection, any reason to think no-showing for Flybe would be a problem?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for letting me know about this. The connection is about 3.5 hours. And she'd just have carry-on luggage.

I'd like to ask a related question: There's another, earlier MAN-AMS flight on KLM that she could take about two hours after arriving in MAN. I'm thinking of booking that for her since it would cost very little as a combination of miles and $$ and so she could get to AMS about 1.5 earlier (which would be somewhat advantageous, since she's flying in for a mini-reunion with friends who are based in Den Haag). I'd imagine that this would not be a problem for Thomas Cook or Flybe - she simply would be a no-show for the Flybe flight. Assuming she makes the KLM connection, any reason to think no-showing for Flybe would be a problem?
No-showing this one time should be fine - if she misses the KLM flight for whatever reason, she will still have the Flybe flight (that she was 'supposed' to have been on) available. Indeed both Flybe and KLM appear to leave from the same terminal at MAN. The only potential issue I see is if she is forced to gate-check her bag at SFO, although this is unlikely given she is in PE.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I’m not sure there is airside connection between terminals 1 and 3 so she may need to go through immigration then take a 5 minute walk to go through security at T3.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Agneisse
No-showing this one time should be fine - if she misses the KLM flight for whatever reason, she will still have the Flybe flight (that she was 'supposed' to have been on) available. Indeed both Flybe and KLM appear to leave from the same terminal at MAN. The only potential issue I see is if she is forced to gate-check her bag at SFO, although this is unlikely given she is in PE.
Thanks very much! She's a very light and efficient packer, so I'm not concerned about that potential problem.

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
I’m not sure there is airside connection between terminals 1 and 3 so she may need to go through immigration then take a 5 minute walk to go through security at T3.
Good to know. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.