Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair Scam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Ryanair Scam

I decided to purchase a ticket from Valencia to Seville a day and a half ago because it was a good deal and would be cheaper/faster than any other form of transportation. I just arrived to the Airport for my flight and in the rudest way possible was told I need to pay an additional €55 because I didn't do online check-in 2 days before. When I told her I hit check-in when i booked the ticket because there was a yellow button right there that said "check-in" she said it wasnt a full 2 days before my departure I would still have to pay the €55 for a boarding pass. I'm beyond livid!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm afraid, you didn't do your homework and did not follow their rules. Did you get a boarding pass when you clicked the yellow check-in button?

They make it pretty clear in the FAQ that you need to have your BP before heading to the airport.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:21 am
Original Poster

I had a mobile boarding pass which was "not the correct one" according to them.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Shocker077
I had a mobile boarding pass which was "not the correct one" according to them.
Do you hold EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship? If not, from the the Ryanair website about mobile boarding passes:

Who can use them?

Mobile boarding passes are available to EU/EEA Nationals who:
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...q-overview#6-8

Now this is honoured more in the breach, from what I can make out, but FR does have this unusual practice, which is well advertised that non EEA (etc) citizens need to have their boarding passes stamped in check-in before travel, and stamping a mobile boarding pass is tricky. If you wanted to take this up legally then your opening is that the T&Cs are not explicit about this, it does say that if you don't present a boarding pass you will be charged, but it also implies that downloaded boarding passes are OK and doesn't in that location mention that it's EEA (etc) only.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Nope. Not an EU resident. American resident. Since I paid the €55 for my boarding pass there has been 4 other charges from Ryanair pop up on my account. All different amounts 55, 137, 218, 104...they all say "pending" so I'm waiting to see what happens but I only have 1 credit card with me and I'm still in the area till the 25th so I'm hoping I dont have to call fraud prevention and get a new card sent to me.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Not a "scam", just another example of someone not paying attention to the information readily available on the airline website.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Not a scam, just standard operating procedure for low cost carriers in Europe. When a deal seems too good to be true it often is... and Ryanair passengers make up the difference through ancillary fees. (which their employees are incentivised to sell / enforce) Many people have therefore come to realise that it's cheaper to book a legacy airline who don't have quite so many extra fees. You only scammed yourself if alternative options were less than 55 euros more expensive... (otherwise you still saved money)

FWIW it's not just European LCCs, the major American airlines are also happy to sell you "basic economy" tickets, with varying degrees of information about what that entails...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's just a question of not assuming Carrier A's policies for Carrier B.

People traveling from Europe to the US are shocked to find that they have no baggage allowance with a standard ticket and that there is no meal served on a 6-hour flight. Complaining that European carriers serve two meals and permit a bag does nothing.
fifty_two, aidy and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
People traveling from Europe to the US are shocked to find that they have no baggage allowance with a standard ticket and that there is no meal served on a 6-hour flight.
for luggages i know it but about meal , never heard of it

do you know which airlines ?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:23 am

It's just a question of not assuming Carrier A's policies for Carrier B.

People traveling from Europe to the US are shocked to find that they have no baggage allowance with a standard ticket and that there is no meal served on a 6-hour flight. Complaining that European carriers serve two meals and permit a bag does nothing.
I'm sorry. Which flights in Europe are 6 hours in duration?
Maybe they should have realized they weren't in Europe anymore.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
He means US transcons
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended

Northern Europe to the Canary Islands.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With very rare exceptions, not worth discussing in a thread which deals with why a European carrier won't permit US nationals to use an e-BP, US carriers generally do not include a meal in Y, even on TCON flights which can easily exceed 6 hours westbound and a good deal more if one includes Alaska and Hawaii.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:03 pm

With very rare exceptions, not worth discussing in a thread which deals with why a European carrier won't permit US nationals to use an e-BP, US carriers generally do not include a meal in Y, even on TCON flights which can easily exceed 6 hours westbound and a good deal more if one includes Alaska and Hawaii.
Yea, but not including a meal is not a scam.
Making the check-in process convoluted and hard to follow, I think that qualifies as a scam.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by fifty_two
for luggages i know it but about meal , never heard of it

do you know which airlines ?
Within the US, there are no free meals on domestic flights. You have to buy on board or bring your own food.

Many European carriers also have hand-baggage only fares, even for TATLs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.