Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Primera Air ended operations [Updated title]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Primera Air has filed for bankruptcy and ceased operations 2 October 2018.

From Primera Air:

Dear Passengers,

Airline Primera Air and IATA codes PF and 6F have been suspended as of today, October 2nd, 2018.

On behalf of Primera Air team, we would like to thank you for your loyalty. On this sad day we are saying Goodbye to all of you.

Please visit primeraair.com for further updates in next few days. Tour Operator passengers are kindly suggested to address their Tour Operators and Agents for further information and actions.

Kindly understand that the usual options for contacts (via email or phone) can not be offered any longer.

Sincerely yours.

Primera Air team
Print Wikipost

Primera Air ended operations [Updated title]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Fallen off my chair in shock....

Wow Air next, then Norwegian. As soon as they run out of new suckers to lend them money or invest equity in them

It's currently the top of the economiccycle, global passenger numbers are booming and legacy airlines making record profits. Yet these guys.....
WOW has not hedged their fuel cost, so very likely. Norwegian only partly (16% for H2): https://uk.reuters.com/article/airli...-idUKL5N1QO3YX
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Expendable Corporate Toolie
I paid for a flight for this Thursday by wire transfer. Am I SOL?
Talk with your bank ASAP. It largely depends on the bank and the location, but there is a remote possibility that you have coverage through the bank for small sums.

As a general proposition, never ever pay for any future service, including air tickets, with anything other than a credit card. In the US and most of Europe, the protections are close to absolute in the case of a bankruptcy causing a service cessation. While that does not help get those people stranded home, it at least gets them their money back for the unused segments.

If one pays with other than a credit card and is not particularly lucky, all one has is an unsecured claim which may possibly mean that in a few years, one might see <1% of the claim or less.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I seriously doubt any airline will step in and offer anything. The crowd that books ULCC tickets is the least loyal and unlikely to remember any such gesture.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott
Reading the replies from that same tweet, that gesture is immediately met with spat in the face.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by danieljai
Reading the replies from that same tweet, that gesture is immediately met with spat in the face.
One tweet there must come from a true Flyertalker. 17 connections with 47 hrs of layovers!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
WOW has not hedged their fuel cost, so very likely. Norwegian only partly (16% for H2): https://uk.reuters.com/article/airli...-idUKL5N1QO3YX
Not necessarily. All the airlines in there have reporting requirements. Wow Air doesn't.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The Independent asked: Norwegian and BA are offering them, Ryanair are offering (kinda), American and United are not, Delta and Virgin no answer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8564851.html
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
I had booked EWR-STN on the 1st when PF was selling it for $90 and CDG-EWR on the 14th for $120. Thankfully learned about them going Tango Uniform before heading out to EWR, Managed to get two seats on Thomas Cook JFK-MAN 5 hours before departure for 268 each to salvage the vacation. Had an absolutely delightful flight, took the train from Man into London and just a few minutes ago booked ORY-EWR on the 14th via the Norwegian rescue offer. I see the replies to their tweet, but they have tentatively gained a fan in me.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:49 pm

Clearly any of the posters in this thread are UK or US based - fair enough. However PF started as a charter airline with operations out of Denmark to a various numbers of charter destinations in Turkey, Greece and Spain. Only in the last years they started to operate scheduled flights between Scandinavia and Spainand lately between Europe and the US. A Danish travelagency had approx. 90% of their charterflights with PF as they had the same Icelandic owner, and some of their passengers / guests were stranded in Crete as their flight were not able to arrive to Copenhagen before midnight to Tuesday. Most of their flights (including transatlantic flights) were registred in Denmark and some fem in Latvia.
In Denmark it is mandatory for all airlines to charge extra 20 DKK ( normally added in the taxes) to a foundation in case of bankrupcy. The money will then be used to get stranded passengers back home. However it applies only to passengers who has booked a return ticket originating in Denmark but the airlines doesn't have to be Danish.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Not necessarily. All the airlines in there have reporting requirements. Wow Air doesn't.
An article from June 2018:

The airline is facing other challenges to its model, such as more expensive fuel. That is now its second largest cost after labor and the airline is not hedged. They also need to hire more pilots. Unfortunately, "Iceland is sold out of pilots," said Morgensen, who is looking in Europe and elsewhere for new hires.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/22/wow-...ing-pains.html
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
As a general proposition, never ever pay for any future service, including air tickets, with anything other than a credit card. In the US and most of Europe, the protections are close to absolute in the case of a bankruptcy causing a service cessation. While that does not help get those people stranded home, it at least gets them their money back for the unused segments.

If one pays with other than a credit card and is not particularly lucky, all one has is an unsecured claim which may possibly mean that in a few years, one might see <1% of the claim or less.
This is not really correct in the UK. Here, if you pay with a debit card, you can still use the chargeback scheme. This means you will most likely get back the full amount paid for the flight on the defunct airline. While not a statutory right, my understanding is that all (or at least almost all) of the major banks paid out for Monarch chargebacks and I would expect the same for Primera.

That said, I do of course agree that paying with a credit card is always preferable as it offers much greater protection, and now costs no more than paying by debit card.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
You're right. From their IPO presentation:

Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Bad news for any British passengers who have a booking with this airline. They are not covered by ATOL so it is your own responsibility to get yourself home. According to the CAA there will be no Monarch style rescue.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:03 pm

Does someone here has more info about the repatriation fares (BA/Virgin Atlantic/Norvegian)? How much are they exactly?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by emilio911
Does someone here has more info about the repatriation fares (BA/Virgin Atlantic/Norvegian)? How much are they exactly?
For mine, it was $208 usd ORY-EWR. The woman staffing the special line said it's a percentage of the cheapest available Y fare on the flight. CDG-JFK (my original Primera booking was CDG-EWR) was also an option and would have been $310 ish if I remember right.

Better than a poke in the eye and since my bank credited my CC today with the amount I had paid to Primera, I'm really not out that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.