Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Primera Air ended operations [Updated title]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Primera Air has filed for bankruptcy and ceased operations 2 October 2018.

From Primera Air:

Dear Passengers,

Airline Primera Air and IATA codes PF and 6F have been suspended as of today, October 2nd, 2018.

On behalf of Primera Air team, we would like to thank you for your loyalty. On this sad day we are saying Goodbye to all of you.

Please visit primeraair.com for further updates in next few days. Tour Operator passengers are kindly suggested to address their Tour Operators and Agents for further information and actions.

Kindly understand that the usual options for contacts (via email or phone) can not be offered any longer.

Sincerely yours.

Primera Air team
Print Wikipost

Primera Air ended operations [Updated title]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Primera Air effectively now does not exist.
And that also goes for their customer service department, so I doubt the disappointed passengers will even be able to get hold of anyone to ask about rebooking.

It's times like this when insurance and credit cards come in handy...
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:26 pm

So anyone know what happens or how to interpret this? I had a flight that was canceled on June 14 LON to Toronto. At that time the company was technically not insolvent yet. Now that they are, and Primeria still hasn't paid out reimbursement for the canceled flight will this fall under Merrill+'s Trip Cancellation/Interruption? Cause I'm still out ~$5000 - $6000 for 2 last minute flights and hotel/taxi

Merrill+ Insurance https://card.ml.com/cms/published/ro...ML_VisaSig.pdf

FYI I think Chase Sapphire and Citi Prestige has similar insurance for anyone else looking

Plan:
As an eligible Cardholder, you, your spouse or domestic partner and your dependent children will be automatically insured up to two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00) arising from and occurring from the date you charge the trip to your account, when insured under the trip cancellation hazard.
Benefits:
Financial Services Common Carrier Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption pays a benefit of up to two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00) if you are prevented from traveling on a common carrier covered trip on or before the departure of the covered trip, or if you are interrupted from continuing your covered trip either on the way to the point of departure or after departure of the covered trip. The cancellation or interruption must be due to your accidental injury, disease or physical illness; or the accidental injury, disease or physical illness of your immediate family member; or the default from financial insolvency of the Common Carrier. Financial Insolvency means the inability of an entity to provide travel services because it ceases operations either following the filing of a petition for bankruptcy or as the result of a denial of credit or the inability to meet financial obligations.

Last edited by Shadow Rider; Oct 1, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The problem is that if one paid $99 for a ticket, even if that is refunded, a quick check shows that the cheapest walkup ticket for the remaining services today NYC-LON are $2,774. While there may be a chorus here about how one need not pay that much, that is the listed fare which will be quoted to one who walks up to a BA/AA counter and asks to purchase a ticket.

I fully appreciate that ULCC's can cut expenses and thus prices through a variety of maneuvers. But, there are limits and Primera, along with WOW, and Norwegian may well be in trouble unless further bailed out.
Well for tomorrow Norwegian is offering $630 Lowfare (no bags/meals) and $720 Lowfare+ on JFK-LGW. And for those not flying back immediately, next Monday they still have $195/$285. Norwegian may well benefit short term from an increased load factor and, if they handle revenue management properly, an uptick in RASK. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone book with them for next summer, but they should survive the year so for affordable rescue fares why not?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Shadow Rider
So anyone know what happens or how to interpret this? I had a flight that was canceled on June 14 LON to Toronto. At that time the company was technically not insolvent yet. Now that they are, and Primeria still hasn't paid out reimbursement for the canceled flight will this fall under Merrill+'s Trip Cancellation/Interruption? Cause I'm still out ~$5000 - $6000 for 2 last minute flights and hotel/taxi

Merrill+ Insurance https://card.ml.com/cms/published/ro...ML_VisaSig.pdf

FYI I think Chase Sapphire and Citi Prestige has similar insurance for anyone else looking
Why would you need insurance?

This is a simple chargeback. It is possible that because the basis for the chargeback is insolvency, that you are stuck with a 60-day limit although most cards will honor for longer.

Fair warning to others, don't get strung along. If you are closing in on 60 days waiting for a refund or anything else, file the chargeback. Even if the card voluntary provides greater time limits.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, they will not get a refund and Primera will not rebook them. If Primera had cash for this, it would be operating. That is what insolvency means.

If your buddy paid with a CC, he can claim that as a chargeback from his CC. If he still wants to fly, he will need to go looking and buy new tickets for whatever they cost.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:22 pm

I charged back already but I still needed to fly out of the UK that day. So obviously I can't charge back for the flights I booked on Air Canada. Same thing with Hotel/Taxi for the overnight stay

For folks who didn't fly they can do a simple chargeback and be done butme and a lot of Primera customers are in a different situation.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:50 pm

Paid by Wire Transfer

I paid for a flight for this Thursday by wire transfer. Am I SOL?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Expendable Corporate Toolie
Sorry to have to say this, but yes you are.

Btw Simon Calder estimates between 2,000 and 5,000 people stranded, and up to 60,000 out of pocket holding worthless bookings.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8564206.html
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by usbusinesstraveller; Oct 1, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:09 pm
Used to be highman123

Sorry for anyone is getting stranded. But we need the entrepreneurial spirit going - no innovation can be done with (some) failures. I'm glad Primera tried - without all the LCCs over the Atlantic fares would be $700 and not $300 RT as they are now on Full Service carriers.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:24 pm

What happened to passengers when Monarch went bankrupt? Were they ever reimbursed for alternative travel tickets?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Expendable Corporate Toolie
Why on earth would you pay by wire transfer?
JDiver, ijgordon and emilio911 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Shadow Rider
What happened to passengers when Monarch went bankrupt? Were they ever reimbursed for alternative travel tickets?
Monarch was covered somewhat by CAA. So, people who were abroad were brought home by rescue flights paid for by the CAA. Those who had booked package holidays were covered by ABTA. Most of those who had booked direct flights were covered by credit card or travel insurance.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Well, I seem to recall that when Eos went bust, several other airlines (Virgin, etc) offered such a "reasonable price one-way" to stranded Maxjet ticket holders as a gesture of goodwill - and, I'm sure, to try to capture back some of the business travel market that Maxjet had taken from them. Primera is hardly going to have the same sort of potentially higher yield customer, and airlines are much less inclined to spend money on goodwill gestures these days than then.

(see http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...eos-passengers )

It was only, for airlines in the UK, ever a gesture of goodwill, not at all some sort of regulated fare / exchangeable coupon idea from the distant past.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Primera Cabin Crew slept overnight on the airport floors...very sad.

Normally airlines do offer marginal cost rescue flights, i'm very surprised Norwegian hasn't been willing to do that - I assume it's not a busy time for Y seats. Maybe they will, gain some goodwill and pick up future business.

Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I seriously doubt any airline will step in and offer anything. The crowd that books ULCC tickets is the least loyal and unlikely to remember any such gesture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.