Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flight cancellation refund + compensation NORWEGIAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united

Hi,

I have been lurking this forum for quite sometimes and have a question regarding EU261.

I have a flight book on Norwegian Air from EWR to ORLY (12/6 - 12/10) in December for a long weekend to visit family and friends. Unfortunately I didn't get the memo on how bad things gets if flight is cancelled with Norwegian.

Here is my question, am I entitled to EU261 compensation if Norwegian cancel flight less than 7 days before flight and:
1/ I take the alternative flight on Norwegian JFK-CDG (if flight is cancelled on return leg as well, would I be entitled to two times the compensation total then?)
2/ I just take the refund for my flight

I have been searching for 2/ but didn't find anyone talking about taking the refund and then getting the 600euros compensation. I'm looking at this option because then with the refund + 600e I could just buy another flight on the spot. Of course I understand that I won't have the compensation right away.

Trying to evaluate my options before hand in case my flight get cancelled as it has happened to a lot of people.

Thank you!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: A3 *G
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Hi

I did read all of those before.

For 1/ I understand that it depends on how early is the alternative flight and how late it get there, if on same region they ll have to pay for transport between airports.

For 2/ is it correct that I can take the refund and will be getting the 600euros compensation as well?

thanks
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:53 am

If you still fly then just compensation relative to delay.

If flight is cancelled and you take the alternative the airline offers you, and are over X hours late, just compensation.

If the flight is cancelled under 14 days before departure and you don’t take the alternative the airline offers you, and the alternative would have made you X hours late, refund and compensation.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that.

Where did you find the explanation for the last exemple?

I read EU261 and it doesn’t explain that scenario where someone would book themselves an alternative flight.

Thats the reason I ask did someone has ever done that?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by eshroom
If the flight is cancelled under 14 days before departure and you don’t take the alternative the airline offers you, and the alternative would have made you X hours late, refund and compensation.
Info here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

To be fair the orange bit may be incorrect. The Europa page seems to imply the delay is irrelevant and compensation if you choose a reimbursement in the event of cancellation at short notice is just based on the length of your flight. This seems unfair towards the airline.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Ok.

I mean it’s probably not that unfair, if you think about it you won’t be able to buy another flight with just the refund. And let’s say norwegian if they don’t reroute you until the next day then you lost time and I m not sure what is the best way to quantify missing time with family/friends or vacation. So I think that if they cough up 600e + refund you might be able to find a flight on that same day.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Ok so I found two more websites that seems to concur with the one you sent.

in case of cancellation you can ask a refund and you ll then automatically get full compensation depending on length of flight. So really it’s a good alternative if you are not happy with the rerouting offered by the airline.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
My EU 261 claim was denied by Norwegian because they failed to find a technical defect after they cancelled my flight for a suspected technical issue:

"The official reason for the cancellation is that the disruption was caused by mandatory checks from aviation authorities on a specific type of Rolls Royce engine, forcing them to take the scheduled aircraft out of service.:

HOWEVER: "In this case, the aircraft was released from inspection (following flight cancellation and subsequent technical inspection) as no technical defect was found and no components had to be replaced. As a result, the van der Lans-ruling is not applicable to this case and does not constitute right for compensation."

So, this is quite a "Catch 22", the flight was cancelled due to technical issues due to a presumed technical defect, but no compensation is due because they were technically wrong and it turns out the equipment was fine and no technical defects were identified???

Is this Norwegian logic? They are responsible for an actual repair but not a false alarm resulting in a cancellation where there was no actual repair. You gotta be kidding me!

BTW, they did refund EUR 729 for two tickets one way based 75% of the combined total fare paid (including USD $500 to upgrade), as the cancellation also triggered an involuntary downgrade. Still, I think they are responsible for EU 261 compensation.

Last edited by nologic; Nov 18, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:37 am

My mom is trying to get compensation for a Norwegian cancellation and reaccomodation 24 hours later. They are denying it as they are saying it was caused by "extraordinary circumstances." [It was the grounded 787s and a super delayed HiFly replacement getting ultimately cancelled] Is her next option to either pursue it directly in court or hand it off to a collections agency? Is there an any recommendation for a good agency for dealing with Nowegian?

Last edited by ucdtim17; Nov 22, 2019 at 10:10 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
My mom is trying to get compensation for a Norwegian cancellation and reaccomodation 24 hours later. They are denying it as they are saying it was caused by "extraordinary circumstances." [It was the grounded 787s and a super delayed HiFly replacement getting ultimately cancelled] Is her next option to either pursue it directly in court or hand it off to a collections agency? Is there an any recommendation for a good agency for dealing with Nowegian?
Update on this months later. OAK-ARN cancellation. Norwegian originally denied the claim, AirHelp declined to proceed with it and now Claim Compass was successful.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Update on this months later. OAK-ARN cancellation. Norwegian originally denied the claim, AirHelp declined to proceed with it and now Claim Compass was successful.
How much of the loot went to Claim Compass?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
How much of the loot went to Claim Compass?
I haven't seen final details but their website says 35%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.