Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

WOW headed for bankruptcy [operations ceased 28 March 2019]

WOW headed for bankruptcy [operations ceased 28 March 2019]

Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by 4sallypat
Will other ULCC follow the lead and make an offer to help stranded pax ?

Like Norwegian ?
Norwegian has, at least according to this CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/28/busin...ntl/index.html
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Hmm? Icelandair is only offering these to WOW passengers who began a round trip and are stranded at their destination, somewhere between 2000-4000. Not all will take Icelandair up on the offer, and there are 17 routes affected across 2 weeks, something like 5-10 seats/flight will be taken by WOW pax on average. It's not that much and builds goodwill with people who were willing to make a connection in Iceland.
So, pessimism alert, but why build goodwill with ULCC pax? The marketing dollars would be better spent on acquiring the type of customers who will pay a higher ticket price for reliable service, no?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:28 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
To avoid duplication, please continue the discussion in our existing thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...kruptcy-5.html

/mod
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
Should be an interesting week for me. Flying tomorrow ewr to kef. Fly back next Saturday night...hope they can survive one more week!
Ah, sorry, pal. Luck ran out. Let us know how you got home.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The Guardian reporting that WOW was selling tickets up until 7 am today (Thursday, 28th). More than cheeky, this is cynical.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by spainflyer
The Guardian reporting that WOW was selling tickets up until 7 am today (Thursday, 28th). More than cheeky, this is cynical.
They all do I'm afraid, right up to the very end...
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Since all of WOW's aircraft were leased, I wonder whether it would be possible and practical for the ones that haven't been seized to be re-leased and deployed quickly to one or more carriers that are currently cancelling flights due to the MAX grounding. Does anyone know whether this can be done?

They're new aircraft, so in the longer term, the aircraft's owners should be able easily to sell or more permanently lease them to some other carrier.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since all of WOW's aircraft were leased, I wonder whether it would be possible and practical for the ones that haven't been seized to be re-leased and deployed quickly to one or more carriers that are currently cancelling flights due to the MAX grounding. Does anyone know whether this can be done?
I don't think it'd be practical because those airlines probably don't have enough A320/A321 certified pilots.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GFrye
I don't think it'd be practical because those airlines probably don't have enough A320/A321 certified pilots.
Many of the carriers that bought the MAX also have A320s/A321s. Even a few additional aircraft would ease the problem of having to cancel some flights due to the MAX grounding.

There must be a count somewhere of how many aircraft of each type WOW currently has (leased).

Now, I can see customers not being real happy to see a WOW aircraft at their gate when they didn't purchase a ticket on a LCC/ULCC, legroom would be tight, there wouldn't be AVOD or wifi, and the big seats wouldn't completely substitute for having a premium cabin, but being able to get a few newish aircraft quickly would help until the MAX situation is clarified.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:35 pm

Nice gesture from FI at more than reasonable rates. If people get refunds from their CC, it probably makes it cheaper in most cases plus more flexibility to change routes/dates and bags vs what was originally booked on WW.

I, too, am curious about what will happen to the aircraft and how the lessor reposses them or if they get ferried to KEF or elsewhere. I would hope someone can turn them quickly to make up for the grounded MAX, but that's probably too optimistic.

I know one is at BOS. I think one was in Cuba and YUL but that may have been a few days ago. Is anyone tracking their last movements? I would think the overnight fees at BOS would be ridiculous enough someone will be motivated to try to get that one out ASAP.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Icelandair offering discounts to stranded pax

https://www.icelandair.com/support/c...-us/getmehome/
Very reasonable fares indeed and nice of them. They add taxes & fees though. FI fuel surcharge is about $100 one-way EU-NA, which also goes to FI pocket.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Shame to see them go. Never flew with them, and probably would not have, but I really liked the purple livery; it was fresh among all the grey hulls...

As to those who said a low cost TATL would never be profitable. I'm pretty sure that Thomas Cook, TUI, Condor have been around for a while and doing just fine. And last time I checked their tickets were just as dirt cheap.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
There goes the non-stop KEF-TLV. I hope Icelandair steps in. It was a great routing.
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Ah, sorry, pal. Luck ran out. Let us know how you got home.
YES IT DID LOL.

Was on top of it all week and found out mid snorkeling tour that wow air suspended operations.

Tried to grab one of the $100 Icelandair rescue rate fares and was told the next available date was April 6th. (Original return was March 30th) My other option was a regular fare $900 flight on April 1st. I guess they only had a certain amount of 'rescue fares' or it was just a publicity stunt.

I ended up booking a United flight for 30k award miles. Goes through Oslo to LHR to EWR, but with my status and abundance of award miles was my best option.

Lesson learned. Just hope I can take advantage of the travel insurance i booked with WoW air and also my CSR credit card.
BearX220 and remphish1 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
YES IT DID LOL.

Was on top of it all week and found out mid snorkeling tour that wow air suspended operations.

Tried to grab one of the $100 Icelandair rescue rate fares and was told the next available date was April 6th. (Original return was March 30th) My other option was a regular fare $900 flight on April 1st. I guess they only had a certain amount of 'rescue fares' or it was just a publicity stunt.

I ended up booking a United flight for 30k award miles. Goes through Oslo to LHR to EWR, but with my status and abundance of award miles was my best option.

Lesson learned. Just hope I can take advantage of the travel insurance i booked with WoW air and also my CSR credit card.
Glad you were able to find an award flight. I just saw a post here that UA is offering rescue fares as well. Might be worth calling them to see if buying one of those makes more sense than using miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.