Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

RyanAir refund exchange rate shenanigans

Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold

Bought a one-way ticket on RyanAir for BGY-STN. Fare was quoted in Euros but actually charged to my card in USD using an unfavorable exchange rate (I am in the USA and using a US credit card). I am an experienced traveler and know to reject dynamic currency conversion in a situation like this but I dont recall that ever being an option.

Flight was delayed by over three hours and RyanAir promised a full refund if I wanted it. I took them up on it and found that they refunded in Euros directly. So the conversion to USD therefore took place at the market rate.

Basically RyanAir has scammed me out of $30. I get that rates fluctuate but Im crying foul here. Of course dealing with RyanAir directly has gone nowhere and so Im disputing the difference in charge vs refund with CapitalOne. I have full documentation of the entire sorry chain of events.

Juat venting I guess. Never even flown this airline and theyve managed to vex me!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by tai4de2
. . . know to reject dynamic currency conversion in a situation like this but I dont recall that ever being an option.
It is an option for GBP cards when purchasing in Euro, just not easy to spot. You may have missed it, but I don't have a USD card to try.

If the exchange rate had moved in your favour and you had received more back than you paid, would you have sent the difference to Ryanair?
Sealink likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
It is an option for GBP cards when purchasing in Euro, just not easy to spot. You may have missed it, but I don't have a USD card to try.

If the exchange rate had moved in your favour and you had received more back than you paid, would you have sent the difference to Ryanair?
Nice strawman but Im not biting.

This wasnt an issue with a fluctuation in exchange rate which I would have accepted. It is an issue of the airline stacking the deck to ensure they profit even in a refund situation.

CapitalOne has already settled the dispute in my favor, for the difference.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This has nothing to do FR. It was paid for the ticket in EUR and issued a refund in EUR. The conversion profits went to various institutions along the way in the banking system.

Complaints such as yours are common. Not just with air tickets but with other purchases which go sideways. You paid EUR X for the ticket and that is the refund due.

For a piddling sum such as $30, most card issuers will simply eat the dispute, especially when they are not out any hard cash themselves.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by tai4de2
CapitalOne has already settled the dispute in my favor, for the difference.
They will have done this as it's cheaper than investigating. It doesn't mean you were correct. Please try a dummy booking and look carefully for the DCC avoidance button.

Originally Posted by Often1
This has nothing to do FR. It was paid for the ticket in EUR and issued a refund in EUR. The conversion profits went to various institutions along the way in the banking system.
My understanding is that vendors get a cut of the DCC money.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

The ticket was not charged in Euros. It was charged in dollars but refunded in Euros.

I agree that I may have missed the DCC opt-out during purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.