Wiki Posts
Search

Tarom flight cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Tarom flight cancellation

Tarom #238 BUD-OTP delayed from 19.50 to 23.00 and ultimately cancelled. The plane couldn't land due to weather and turned back to OTP. Scheduled to depart on 1st flight out this AM @ 9.15. Tarom told us we'd have to find our own hotel (reimbursed up to 70€). Gave us taxi vouchers from/back to the airport and "maybe we'll get 250€ compensation". Nothing about food/incidentals.

Flight is scheduled to land "around noon". My KLM flight back to the States departs @ 13.55.

Tarom won't tell us how to file for reimbursement. Nor will they tell me what to do regarding the KLM flight if I miss it.

Need advice pls., since TAROM is so sketchy with information.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:49 am

Something seems to be missing as KLM doesn't fly from either BUD or OTP to the states.
Either way, food should also be taken care of by the airline so I would suggest you keep receipts and claim together with the hotel.
If all your flights are booked under the same ticket, you will be re-routed in case you missed your flight to the states, as for compensation, if the delay is due to weather than no compensation is due.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are both flights on one ticket? I suspect not, so any EC261 compensation is based on the Tarom flight only, which is unlikely to be payable due to weather. A duty of care exists, so you should get your hotel and food reimbursed. As to your onward flight (presumably from AMS? or is there a code share flight you are booked on with a KL number?) if it is on a separate ticket you may find you have to buy a new one.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Now that I'm back on this side of the world, here's the non-freaking out version.
  • Separate one-way flight RO scheduled 14 Aug BUD-OTP (dep 17:00ish arr 22:00ish). That was delayed three times until it was ultimately cancelled around 1:30am 15 Aug.
  • I had a hotel room overnight in OTP booked so I could connect to my return KL flight OTP-AMS-SLC departing 13:55 15 Aug. Obviously I couldn't use it as the scheduled RO night flight was cancelled. Tarom said nothing about reimbursement for the OTP hotel; only that they would reimburse us up to 70 euros for a hotel that night.
Tarom first said the original flight was cancelled because the aircraft (turboprop) was diverted back to OTP due to "fuel issues". Then during the third delay announcement, they said it was due to the aircraft "not being rated for the current weather conditions". Then when the flight was cancelled, they said it was due to "staffing". I have no idea what the real reason was.

The night flight on 14 Aug and the day flight on 15 Aug were both supposed to be on the turboprop. I guess they had so many passengers to reschedule, they flew up a 737 so that the passengers on both flights could get on board. IF they had used the turboprop, I would not have made the KL flight. As it was, I did get there with about an hour to spare. At least RO tagged my luggage from BUD all the way to SLC, so I didn't have to worry about that.

Tarom still didn't tell us any more information regarding putting in claims, other than "go to the office". Not particularily helpful when you're trying to make an international connection. I had just enough time to figure out what gate to go to without trying to find the Tarom office.

Would appreciate anyone with EU compensation experience to guide me as to whether I have a claim or not. I can't make heads or tails out of Tarom's compensation page.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:35 am

First, the fact that you had a separate booking OTP-SLC is not relevant here.

What you really need to figure out is the actual reason for the delay, it could very well be that there were several reasons, first the airplane couldn't fly due to weather, then once weather got better their staff were out of hours for example, then you can possibly claim EC261 compensation for your delay BUD-OTP, I'm not sure what "fuel issues" might be and whether that will somehow be considered as extraordinary circumstances.

In addition to the potential compensation they should refund you the hotel and any reasonable meals (e.g. dinner + breakfast).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.