Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP Carry-On / Cabin Baggage Rules and Enforcement (merged threads)

Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TAP Hand / Cabin Baggage Rules

Link to TAP Hand Baggage Rules page. Note these may change and would supersede the extracted information presented here.

When travelling on flights operated by TAP and TAP express you can normally travel with hand baggage in the aircraft cabin, with a maximum size up to total linear 115 cm / 45.3 inches / (55X40x20cm) / 22x16x8 in regardless of other factors. (If overhead bins are deemed full, the larger piece of cabin baggage may be counter checked.)

Your baggage must be within the permitted limits (number, size and weight) In order for it to be free of charge. These limits depend on your flight destination and by your cabin class of service, Executive or Economy. Generally, the dimensions can not be exceeded overall added dimensions or by individual dimension. (Bags exceeding dimensions, such as determined by inability to fit in a baggage sizer, may be counter checked; a fee may be collected.)

NOTE: There are two factors used in determining hand baggage allowance, regardless of associated loyalty program: destination and cabin class of service (Economy or Executive). At this time there seems to be no difference in hand / cabin baggage allowance by subfare (DISCOUNT, BASIC, CLASSIC and PLUS in Economy class all have the same hand / cabin allowances; EXECUTIVE and TOP EXECUTIVE in Executive/ Business class do as well. (These fare designations will govern such characteristics as refundability, changeability, checked hold baggage, etc. but not hand baggage allowance.) link to page and video

If travelling to/from domestic destinations (including the islands), Europe, Africa and North America you can carry on the aircraft:

Executive Class*: 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

*Except to/from North America (Canada and the USA, as TAP currently does not fly to Mexico): 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).
If travelling to/from destinations in South America, you can carry on the aircraft:

Executive Class: 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in).

Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 10 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in).
What can be a personal item?
  • A purse or a computer bag or shoulder bag (maximum size: 40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in);
  • Auxiliary mobility equipment;
  • Medical devices (by prescription/prior approval);
With a maximum weight of 2 Kg/4.4 Ib.

Confirm in advance that your hand baggage is within the permitted limits (in terms of number, size and weight). If you exceed any of these requirements your baggage will be checked into the hold and you will be charged a fee at the boarding gate. Payment will only be possible by credit card.
Anecdotally, hand / cabin baggage is most likely to be scrutinized for size and weight at the check-in counters. Gates may have baggage sizers used by gate agents.

If overhead bins are deemed full, hand / cabin baggage may be gate checked. Gate checked bags may be retried with checked hold baggage at the arrival carousel.

It is a good idea to remove any valuable items (computers, tablets, mobile phones, etc.) or necessities (medicines, etc.) from hand / cabin baggage that is checked and sent to the hold and keep them with you.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Is there anyone who can explain clearly to me the carry on rules in economy plus on TAP Portugal. I do not understand their rules at all. Everytime I talk to someone I get different answers. We are flying with a stopover in Lisbon to Rome from Miami. Do they have a new set of rules starting in Sept.? I paid for one checked piece of luggage. Now it seems if I used more points to book business or first, we each would get a check thru bag free. What about a carry on? Will they credit back toward my points the money I already paid for the check thru in economy. We are flying TAP because it is the only airline that allows a 5 day stopover in Lisbon on way to Rome. Does first or business have lay flat beds? Really all their measurements and rules are confusing me. Also when I ask for a confirmation email I never get it no matter to whom I speak. Thank you for all information. Right now because of a handicap and wheel chair they have been very nice and given us a front row economy seat which is really kind of them. I am not complaining. I am just trying to understand. Thank you.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Question TAP Portugal Airlines carry on rules in E+?

Is there anyone who can explain clearly to me the carry on rules in economy plus on TAP Portugal. I do not understand their rules at all. Everytime I talk to someone I get different answers. We are flying with a stopover in Lisbon to Rome from Miami. Do they have a new set of rules starting in Sept.? I paid for one checked piece of luggage. Now it seems if I used more points to book business or first, we each would get a check thru bag free. What about a carry on? Will they credit back toward my points the money I already paid for the check thru in economy. We are flying TAP because it is the only airline that allows a 5 day stopover in Lisbon on way to Rome. Does first or business have lay flat beds? Really all their measurements and rules are confusing me. Also when I ask for a confirmation email I never get it no matter to whom I speak. Thank you for all information. Right now because of a handicap and wheel chair they have been very nice and given us a front row economy seat which is really kind of them. I am not complaining. I am just trying to understand. Thank you.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
TAP does not have Economy Plus!

https://www.flytap.com/en-ca/baggage/hand-baggage
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
To be fair to the OP, TAP's convoluted, confusing, fare structure includes a Plus option at the top of its range of economy tickets.

It gets your more miles, extra bags and free seat selection as well as some other meh benefits.

But it is not a Premium Economy product.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Agreed but I don't think cabin allowance changes with that option.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The carry-on rules are the standard 1+1. Make sure that your bigger carry-on is within the allowed dimensions, or it may be gate checked.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer. I heard TAP is changing rules in Sept. so waiting to see what happens.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, MR Gold, HH Gold, GE
TAP carry-on luggage in J

Hello,

Im seeking guidance regarding an upcoming flight where I am scheduled to fly TAP from Berlin-Lisbon connecting to UA Lisbon-Newark. I will be in business class for both flights. Im not planning on checking any bags on this trip. Ill be traveling with a personal item sized backpack per US standards and a wheeled carry-on suitcase. My wheeled carry-on bag options meet UAs size requirements making them slightly above TAPs requirements. One of my wheeled bag options is much lighter (approximately 2 kg empty) however looks larger due to its design. My narrower and less bulky looking bag is 4 kg empty so Im concerned with it exceeding the weight limit when full. Is it likely that my carry-on bags would be flagged for size and put in the sizer if Im flying in business? Would having an overweight bag or using a bag that looks a little bit too large (1 inch in depth and at most 1 inch in height) be more likely to result in having to check my carry-on? And if Im flagged for weight or size and forced to check my bag, will my free checked bag allowance as *Gold and business class passenger apply or will I need to pay the at the gate checking fee mentioned on TAPs website?

Sorry for all of the questions; when I fly non-US airlines, I generally fly LH, LX, or ANA where *G and/or premium class travel means no weighing or measuring carry on luggage.

Thanks for any and all guidance.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you don't stop at the check-in counter, there's no need for them to weigh anything. If you're in biz or board with biz/*G, then you shouldn't be hassled regardless.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Bear in mind that at TXL every gate has the check in counter right beside it at least at the A gates which TAP use so you will be seen by the check in staff. Then every gate also has it's own security where the staff are generally quite helpful - moreso than say FRA but it is Germany and rules are rules. You are taking a chance. If you are a *G in business then you should have a three piece allowance anyway so check in of any or all of it should cost you nothing.

Also at TXL the *G lounge is the LH SEN lounge which is a landside lounge, upstairs from the entrance by gate A0/B1. You need to leave it at least 30 mins before departure time in order to clear security at the gate. Once in the gate area there is little or nothing other than the odd duty free shop and a lot of hard seats.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, MR Gold, HH Gold, GE
OP reporting back. I went through security and boarding with no issues. While some did have tags for approved cabin baggage, it was not an issue that I didnt. So, at least in this case, no problem bringing on US sized roller bag and backpack/personal item or having either weighed when I checked in online, used a mobile boarding pass and boarded with the premier group.
ctbarron and TEDisgone like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by eakcats
OP reporting back. I went through security and boarding with no issues. While some did have tags for approved cabin baggage, it was not an issue that I didnt. So, at least in this case, no problem bringing on US sized roller bag and backpack/personal item or having either weighed when I checked in online, used a mobile boarding pass and boarded with the premier group.
thanks, needed this info for similar situation in TP biz. We can always check bags of if forced to but would preferred to bring them on board.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:04 am

TAP carry on

Sorry for 2 posts in a row... I've never traveled internationally before, and our family of 6 is doing so in May of 2020.

I'm wondering if the carry on size regulations is linear? For instance, would a duffle bag, sized 21" x 10" x 10" be allowed?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: QF gold, AF/KL platinum, exMA gold :( exSK gold
https://www.flytap.com/en-ar/baggage/hand-baggage
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:00 pm

🤦🏼.♀️🤦🏼.♀️
I have read that page and "If flying Economy Class: 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 115 cm (55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in) + 1 personal item up to 2 Kg / 85 cm (40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in)" a thousand times, and never looked at the top of the page!
THANK YOU!!
Also, boy do I feel dumb.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.