Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Has TP done all that is required?

Hello,

I'm stuck in Lisbon overnight.

Had the following TP flights (all on the same booking reference):

BRU-LIS
LIS-YYZ

BRU-LIS was an hour late on its inbound and the domino effect caused me to miss my YYZ flight by mere minutes.

TP put me up in a hotel, is paying for all meals, and I have a confirmed seat the next day.

Should I be filing for EU261, or have they done all they're obligated to do? I'm okay with how things turned out... Wanted a flight to LHR and then YYZ in the morning, but LIS-YYZ was acceptable.

I believe the delays were ATC-related but I'll check Expertflyer later.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If the delay is the fault of the airline, you are entitled to €600 (per passenger) compensation under EC261/2004. If, as you say, it was due to ATC, that is out of the hands of the airline and no compensation would be due.

They have discharged their obligation of duty of care to you by housing and feeding you.

You are not entitled to demand to be flown to LHR and from there to YYZ. If you wished to abandon your trip, you are also entitled to a refund and a flight back to your origin
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight!

I don't see any remarks in EF, so I will leave it as ATC-related. The captain didn't mention any scheduling or mechanical particulars.

The transfer desk was quite willing to send me to any of LHR, CDG, ZRH, or EWR, BOS, and indeed, spent 5 minutes looking, but seeing all the other people in line behind me, I just said we'll fly the same flight 24 hours later.

Missed out on a chance to experience TP's new A333 configuration. Will be in the old one tomorrow.

This is my first stranding in Europe, and am glad I got a decent hotel in front of the terminal and the next 3 meals comped.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If the delay is the fault of the airline, you are entitled to €600 (per passenger) compensation under EC261/2004. If, as you say, it was due to ATC, that is out of the hands of the airline and no compensation would be due.

They have discharged their obligation of duty of care to you by housing and feeding you.

You are not entitled to demand to be flown to LHR and from there to YYZ. If you wished to abandon your trip, you are also entitled to a refund and a flight back to your origin
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Enjoy it relax in the hotel, have your meals. Yes the old config seats are not great but you'll survive as they will feed you well onboard.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
Thanks for your insight!

I don't see any remarks in EF, so I will leave it as ATC-related. The captain didn't mention any scheduling or mechanical particulars.

It would be no trouble, and no cost, to approach one of the sites that handle claims for a fee. They have the inside knowledge and quickly assess your chances of success. If they take you on and win, they take 25% of your compensation.

As wins represent their only source of revenue, they're unlike to accept you as a client if the chances of success are not good.

This is only one of the many agencies you can find from a search online:

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-...ation-261-2004
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You, not TP, chose not to accept the rerouting you preferred.

While chatting up staff about holidays they have taken in the past, while others are in line behind you is rude, do not ever feel intimidated about taking the time necessary to accomplish the transaction to your satisfaction. If TP was prepared to rebook via LHR and you did not do so because you felt pressured by other passengers in line, just learn to ignore them.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

True enough, but even if I got out of LIS last night, there would still be an overnight stay in LHR before catching a flight on AC. Would the hotel cost be my burden, then? I was on EF at the time they were calling the supervisor, and some of the AC flights did not have space in J, and no way I was sitting in economy or even premium economy. Additionally, I might have gotten home only a couple of hours earlier than the non-stop LIS-YYZ.

So in the end, a 15 hour stay in a hotel and meals paid for, and an identical ticket on TP (albeit in on an older configured A333) was good enough. It did waste a day, though, and I only missed the original flight by 10 minutes (the plane was still at the gate, but the gate was closed).

Originally Posted by Often1
You, not TP, chose not to accept the rerouting you preferred.

While chatting up staff about holidays they have taken in the past, while others are in line behind you is rude, do not ever feel intimidated about taking the time necessary to accomplish the transaction to your satisfaction. If TP was prepared to rebook via LHR and you did not do so because you felt pressured by other passengers in line, just learn to ignore them.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
True enough, but even if I got out of LIS last night, there would still be an overnight stay in LHR before catching a flight on AC. Would the hotel cost be my burden, then?
In theory, yes. Certainly when you are given the choice of staying overnight in a hotel to wait for your replacement flight; to instead decide to fly immediately to London, knowing that it required an overnight layover, would mean that they had taken care of you until your flight departed.

(TAP doesn't normally offer hotels as part of their tickets - unless you buy a specific Lisbon stopover on those tickets where it is available)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.