Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Ryan Air can’t take US credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:21 am
Original Poster

We tried to use our US credit cards to purchase beverages on our Ryan Air flight last week and were told that US cards would not work on Ryan Air. I know many places won’t take Amex but these were Visa. Can this really be true?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I don't think that is the case, however I'd make sure you are on the US version of their website.

https://www.ryanair.com/us/en/
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Sorry misread your post - didn't realise you meant onboard. That would be really odd if they don't accept them...
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
I guess they only accept "chip & pin" cards, which aren't very popular in the US yet.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Sealink
I don't think that is the case, however I'd make sure you are on the US version of their website.

https://www.ryanair.com/us/en/
Since the EU capped the commission charged on personal cards issued in the EU retailers may have different rates based on where the card was issued. Corporate cards in the EU along with personal cards issued outside the EU may be more expensive for some retailers to accept. Also US cards are not usually equipped with the chip and pin facility which leads to much higher levels of fraud causing some retailers who have been burned to refuse those cards too.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is almost certainly the chip & PIN issue, not interchange fees.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Why do our American friends always seem to insist on capitalising the final "a" in Ryanair (and, often, splitting it into two words)???
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:44 pm

It is a lack of a PIN issue.

I flew Transavia a few weeks ago and was told that American cards did not work. I tried using my Uber card (issued by Barclays in the US), and it worked - after I entered my PIN. Card issued by Barclays in the US are configured to allow use of a PIN if the terminal requires a PIN. If the terminal does not require a PIN (as in most restaurants in Europe), then the card works as chip and signature.

I have no idea why all US card issuers don't do what Barclays does.

Also, quite likely that Android/Apple Pay would work.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Jul 14, 2018 at 11:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.