FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other European Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines-469/)
-   -   Anyone flown Norwegian from Gatwick? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines/1909155-anyone-flown-norwegian-gatwick.html)

ballogie May 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Anyone flown Norwegian from Gatwick?

Do they really have free wifi on board? I'd have asked this in the BA forum (as there is a lot of UK knowledge in there) but the thought of wifi, never mind free wifi, would have given them the vapours.

LondonElite May 13, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm sure a lot of people have flown Norwegian from Gatwick, otherwise they'd have shut down the operation. I am, however, not one of them, so I have no idea about wifi, free or otherwise. I am curious, however, what 'giving someone the vapours' means....does it hurt?

HIDDY May 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Their website says.... ''Free WiFi is available on most of our flights in Europe and on our flights between the U.S. and the Caribbean.''

dddc May 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Yes, I've flown them. There is free wifi, but you need to register or go through their home page first iirc. This was all on board. It was a way to watch the movies and shows they had on offer, but those I think you had to pay for. I did 2 sectors, UK to Norway and intra-Norway and from what I remember it was slow. Flying them again in July on a longer flight Greece - UK so it may seem more important then, but in some ways it's nice to be cut off from the world for a few hours.

Skiddie May 13, 2018 6:09 pm

I've flown them a couple of times, a couple of years ago. At the time, the wifi was fine, but not great. Mainly used for streaming their in-flight content (which IIRC was partially free at the time).

lhrsfo May 13, 2018 8:49 pm

I have flown them from LGW to ARN. I think I only used the wifi for email and I don't recall any problems. They we're fine, totally equivalent to SAS except I didn't get miles or lounge access and I had to trek to LGW.

stut May 14, 2018 5:52 am

Yes, I've flown with them on short-haul a few times, from LGW to CPH and BCN. Always found them very decent - a lot of the legacy airlines could learn rather a lot from them. In terms of the wi-fi, think back to the days of 2G/EDGE mobile data. You won't be able to stream, but moderate-speed browsing, WhatsApp conversations etc are generally possible.

However, as this is about DY and not LGW, I'm going to move the thread over to the Other European Airlines forum. God reise and all that.

stut
UK & Ireland

irishguy28 May 14, 2018 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ballogie (Post 29749510)
Do they really have free wifi on board? I'd have asked this in the BA forum (as there is a lot of UK knowledge in there) but the thought of wifi, never mind free wifi, would have given them the vapours.

Don't worry, the removal of free wifi will be one of the "enchantments" that IAG make when they take over DY :D

david119h May 14, 2018 10:06 am

I don't know about short haul flights within Europe, but I know that there are no wifi yet on long haul flights between Gatwick and US. But supposedly there will be by the end of this year.

CPH-Flyer May 14, 2018 4:18 pm

On their short haul operations DY runs a pretty tight ship, and offers good options and prices. Compared to most legacy economy class experience it is pretty similar. I can't say I have had any significantly negative experience on DY short-haul. But don't assume that as a matter of course that Norwegian is the cheapest option. The legacy carriers are keeping the competition stiff.

If you are an elite member in one of the 3 alliances you may find a number of perks from that that makes it worth paying a bit extra for the legacy carriers. So remember to take all into consideration.

Long haul is a different ball game, though I have only second hand experience with that.

aapee May 15, 2018 6:21 am

They install the wifi to the planes on the first maintenance break, so the brand new planes won't have wifi (sh at least).

oot May 18, 2018 4:34 am

I flew Norwegian LGW to EZE (Buenos Aires) and there was wifi onboard, but not free. Needed a credit card to pay for it - can't remember the price. I didn't use it, but did notice the option.